PDA

View Full Version : From Hunt's Article

Phantom Warrior
04-30-2013, 02:05 AM
A transfer is usually transferring for a reason, and the pickings this late have been picked over.

"You have to be careful that you don't reach and sign somebody who you don't want, who's honestly not good enough and you'll be replacing a year from now," Williams said. "I don't want to sign somebody just to say we signed somebody. You get in trouble doing that."

So what now?

All Marquette has next year at shooting guard is rising sophomore Todd Mayo and incoming freshman Duane Wilson of Whitefish Bay Dominican. With the losses of Blue, Anderson, Lockett and Junior Cadougan, the Golden Eagles have lost more minutes and points than at any time in Williams' tenure.

"We're going to have to figure it out," Williams said.

He always does.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

What about Johnson? Seems to me he is always listed as a shooting guard.

Also, it's surprising Duane is mentioned purely as a shooting guard rather than as a combo guard, let alone as a point guard.

Then there's also Dawson, who is big enough to play the two guard and supposedly has a good outside shot.

Bottom line, though, I love Buzz's comment about not "reaching." In my mind "reaching" leads to "wretching."

IWB
04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
All Marquette has next year at shooting guard is rising sophomore Todd Mayo and incoming freshman Duane Wilson of Whitefish Bay Dominican.

I would say I am surprised that Hunt did not acknowledge Jake Thomas, but I am really not surprised since it was Hunt who falsely reported that Jake was going to transfer because Buzz was pulling his scholarship.

TulsaWarrior
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
IWB, a question. I felt Jake had enough athletic ability and skills to contribute last season but lacked confidence. Is that your read? Can he be a factor in 13-14? I'm not talking go to guy but someone who can give the team some quality minutes. Maybe a little glue guy in practice and a four pointer every so often ;-)

ValiantSailor
04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I would say I am surprised that Hunt did not acknowledge Jake Thomas, but I am really not surprised since it was Hunt who falsely reported that Jake was going to transfer because Buzz was pulling his scholarship.

At least he acknowledged Todd Mayo, who a few months ago, Hunt declared would not return.

I have to believe that Hunt's opinions are rarely researched and often inconsistent.

VS

IWB
04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
That is exactly my take Tulsa - it was the confidence. He is a shooter and needed to get hot. How many shooters do you see where you know whether or not they will be hot if they make their first shot? Well, with limited playing time, Jake would come in, miss his first shot, come back out and never return. This happened over and over. I talked to someone close to the team at one point that said to me, "He needs a game where he can take 8-9 shots, hit half of them and get it out of his system." Problem was, that late into the season that opportunity was not there. You would see him pass up shots.

Over the past two years I have watched him in open gym, I have seen him in practice and there is no question that his teammates would look to him as a go-to-guy. They would pass up open shots to kick it out to Jake. All of them would. They would constantly look for him and get him the ball.

Honestly - he needs a game where he can put up 10 shots and get it out of his system, get that and he will be fine, and he will contribute.

Goose85
04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
That is exactly my take Tulsa - it was the confidence. He is a shooter and needed to get hot. How many shooters do you see where you know whether or not they will be hot if they make their first shot? Well, with limited playing time, Jake would come in, miss his first shot, come back out and never return. This happened over and over. I talked to someone close to the team at one point that said to me, "He needs a game where he can take 8-9 shots, hit half of them and get it out of his system." Problem was, that late into the season that opportunity was not there. You would see him pass up shots.

Over the past two years I have watched him in open gym, I have seen him in practice and there is no question that his teammates would look to him as a go-to-guy. They would pass up open shots to kick it out to Jake. All of them would. They would constantly look for him and get him the ball.

Honestly - he needs a game where he can put up 10 shots and get it out of his system, get that and he will be fine, and he will contribute.

I think we will really need Jake and his 3 point shooting this year to fill some of Vander's void. The guy can fill it, hope he is able to hit a few early in the season and get some confidence / on a roll.