PDA

View Full Version : Big East supervisor of officials

MUBasketball
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Can't access Twitter on work computer, but saw on my phone that John Cahill will be the supervisor of officials for the Big East. Don't know if it's true or not, but DeCourcy re-tweeted it.

http://images1.statsheet.com/images/mcb/refs/john-cahill-large.jpg?1365121580

MayorBeluga
04-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Cahill? Will he make all Big East refs follow his lead and run like a girl?

ge1974
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
The good news is he probably won't be officiating games any longer.

MUMac
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
The good news is he probably won't be officiating games any longer.

I vote the BE give him a large budget to have a HUGE staff of Assistant Supervisors of Officials, then. Move in Burr, Driscoll, Gaphney, Hess ... You just can't have enough supervision!

ge1974
04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I vote the BE give him a large budget to have a HUGE staff of Assistant Supervisors of Officials, then. Move in Burr, Driscoll, Gaphney, Hess ... You just can't have enough supervision!

And please add pretty boy John Higgins to that list!

Gato78
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
I am the outlier. I think John Higgins and Pat Driscoll are good--even though double technical Driscoll calls too many double technicals. I think Burr is OK--leaving the floor at the BIG EAST Tourney before the game was over notwithstanding. I think Cahill is just awful. Gaffney is bad and Hess is terrible with his crowning achievement the wrong way overtime tip and its aftermath. I do not even want to think how Cahill could F* up a whole group of officials since he couldn't manage a game.

MUMac
04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Gato, I admit that I like the way Driscoll calls a game as well. I could not resist a shot at him, though.

Burr is horrible. Out of position, but more importantly, he looks for things. I recall the first year for DJ. At Nova, MU is playing great, DJ makes a steal and Burr makes a call against him. DJ slaps him on the butt - not the right thing to do, but was telling him he made the right call. Burr almost T'd him up. That should have ended it. Later in the season, though, MU has a game with Burr (the first one since). I watched how he looked at DJ after any call. Almost looking for something to call or to T him up for. That is when I lost all respect for the guy.

MayorBeluga
04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I think Burr is OK--leaving the floor at the BIG EAST Tourney before the game was over notwithstanding.

Ah, yes. The leaving of the Garden too early. Hizzoner was sitting with Gato and the ever lovely Mrs. Gato at MSG when this occurred. We were screaming about it and that time should be on the clock before anyone else in the world's most famous arena realized what had transpired. Good times, good times.

IWB
04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I have always said, "If you know an official's name - there is a reason why".

There are a lot of guys that reffed Big east games this year whose names never show up in these threads. Why? Because they did their job and went about their business. When you see an old guy like Burr, running down court and then stopping and springting 5 steps the other way to make an extremely dramatic traveling call - that is someone who forgets that the game is about the players, not the refs.