PDA

View Full Version : Declining Trends in College Basketball Last Season

Goose85
04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Some really interesting numbers.

"...fewer fouls were called this past season than in any other on record."
"Scoring in Division I men's basketball is at its lowest point since 1951-52."
"Team 3-point shooting percentage declined to its lowest mark since the 3-point line was introduced in 1986-87."
"...teams shot the fewest free throws of any season since 1976."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22132030/alarming-last-season-had-fewest-points-and-foul-calls-in-decades

Markedman
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
So because teams couldn't shoot defenses packed it in and smartly didn't foul.....

Makes sense

I think it shows how important 3 point shooting is......it opens up so many other things when the other team can't just sit back and basically say "Go ahead shoot it.....we'll take our chances"

BLT
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
So going to a 30 second shot clock is going to help the game how? Instead of slower, more efficient play, we'll see more rushed, forced play. Little mention of the rules changes/change in official focus that contributed to this: moving out the trey line, the semi circle over focus on player control plays, turning of the head on lower body fouls and the sweeping carries on dribbles. In terms of fouling, many bigs are one and dones, so teams shift the focus to perimeter players who stay four years (see Wisconsin). Obviously, the focus on stats has also changed the way games are coached.

Goose85
04-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Good point on Wisconsin BLT.

They used to draw a lot of fouls, but for the past few years they seem to have changed their focus to shooting 3's and continuing to do so even when they are not hitting. Wisconsin has gone from a team that gets to the line a lot, to a team that works the ball for open 3's. Even the big guys like Berggren shoot the three instead of posting up (like Davante) and drawing fouls inside.

mutpm
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM
So because teams couldn't shoot defenses packed it in and smartly didn't foul.....

Makes sense

I think it shows how important 3 point shooting is......it opens up so many other things when the other team can't just sit back and basically say "Go ahead shoot it.....we'll take our chances"

Or have refs swallowed their whistles a little more and have allowed more aggressive defense without calling a foul? If you're allowed to play physically on defense without fouling, scoring becomes tough in the half-court and scoring from the free throw line is down. My guess is it's a little of everything.

MU/Panther
04-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Start calling fouls, scoring will pick up.

DCwarrior
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
If refs started calling handchecking more closely, you'd see scoring increase quite a bit. Having the refs enforce the rule might hurt MU because we play physical defense and don't shoot all that well from the outside, but I'd still like to see it enforced because it would make games more enjoyable to watch.

I know G'town, Cincy and Louisville do not want to see this rule enforced in any way, shape, or form.

Goose85
04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Louisville and that aggressive defense will be in trouble when they face Duke in ACC play. Nobody gets calls like Duke.

IWB
04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Nobody gets calls like Duke.

http://youtu.be/s0upQDkY-pg

jpvegas52
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM
When I watch the games now, I see the players have gotten, bigger, faster and much more physical inside. Most teams try and pack the lane and the refs are allowing a lot of contact inside. If someone does drive and gets past his man another defender will slide in and try and draw a charge. I agree that if they shorten the clock to 30 seconds it will probably mean a rushed shot and not much more scoring. I don't know exactly what can be done to increase the speed of the game, maybe widening the lane, going to the international lane, enforcing hand checking or giving benefit of doubt to the offensive player when a defender slides in front to draw a charge. Anyone else have some suggestions.

2013UnleashTheBeast
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Louisville and that aggressive defense will be in trouble when they face Duke in ACC play. Nobody gets calls like Duke.

They beat them in the Elite 8 this year playing aggressive defense

Goose85
04-25-2013, 08:44 AM
They beat them in the Elite 8 this year playing aggressive defense

My guess is they were not playing with ACC refs.