PDA

View Full Version : Shot-Clock Change - Ramifications

Phantom Warrior
04-23-2013, 04:03 AM
First of all, I hope the NCAA does not adopt the 24-second clock. If there is going to be a change, I'd prefer trying a 30-second shot clock first and then analyzing the impact of the change. Dropping to 24 seconds is much too drastic.

Either way, especially if it ends up being a 24-second clock, the game could see some major ramifications.

1. It will harm teams like Wisconsin and GTown that play a more deliberate style of offense. It will be interesting to see how coaches like Bo and JT-3 react.

2. Teams will be more inclined to pressure full court, even if it's relatively moderate pressure. If it takes a team eight or nine seconds to get into the front court, rather than four or five, it will be much more difficult to get a decent shot in 15 seconds, then it would in 19 seconds. With a 35-second clock, even if a team pressured full court, there were still 26 or 27 seconds to create a good shot.

3. More coaches will look to score in transition before the defense has a chance to set up. Turnovers will become even more important than they are now. This will lead to more half-court extended pressure, including traps, to try to not only slow offenses down but also force turnovers.

4. Teams will do more switching of defenses as that will often cause an offense to spend at least a few precious seconds determining what defense a team is playing and then react accordingly.

5. Post/interior players will become less important, or at least take on different roles, on offense. Teams will have perhaps up to 33% less time to work the ball down low. Post players will become even more valuable on the defensive end if they can block or alter shots, or intimidate offensive players from even taking shots. The change will make defensive bigs, like CO, more valuable, while back-to-the-basket post players, like DG, will have less of an impact.

6. Coaches will be more inclined to double the low post when the ball does go inside, again forcing offenses to use up precious seconds kicking the ball back out.

7. Players who can create their own shot, particularly in the mid-range, will become more important with a reduced shot clock. Players like Duane Wilson and JaJuan Johnson will become even more valuable, while players who need two or three off-ball screens to get open will lose value.

8. In general, speed, quickness, and overall athleticism will become even more crucial than they are now, which will obviously have a significant impact on what kinds of players coaches recruit.

9. Some offenses, such as the Princeton offense and the Swing and Flex offenses, may go the way of the dinosaur, while the "two-man game" may become more prevalent as there will not be the same kind of time to involve all five players. I think we will see much more one-on-one offense.

10. Depth will become more critical as the pace of the game picks up. Teams that can go 9nine or 10 deep without much drop off will have even more of an advantge than teams that can go only seven deep.

11. The bottom line, I think, is that the change will benefit the "haves" and hurt the "have nots." Teams that already attract and recruit terrific athletes - like Louisville, Kentucky, Syracuse, and North Carolina - will benefit. It gives them even more of an advantage. It works to the detriment of teams that like to slow the pace - the grind-it-out teams - like UW and GTown. These teams also tend to be deeper.

12. The change will not eliminate strategic and tactical planning. If anythng, it will put more of a premium on coaches' ability to game plan and to make adjustments during games.

I think the overall impact on the game will be huge, much greater than most fans might think. It will affect what teams do on both ends of the court, and it will defintely affect recruiting. I'd be very curious to hear what Buzz (and Bo) have to say about this proposed change. Will they be proponents of the change or opponents? Also, I can't help wondering if he/they would agree with my predictions, or if they would say, "This guy has no idea what he's talking about."

I think about a player like Derrick Wilson and wonder what kind of impact it will have on his playing time. On one hand, on the defensive end he could become very valuable. Would that increase his minutes? On the other hand, on offense he plays at a relatively slow pace. He does not seem able to create his own shot, and he seldom is able to create open shots for teammates. Would those issues lead to a decline in his minutes?

Whatever happens, if there is a clock-shot change, it's going to be interesting.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-23-2013, 06:12 AM
I sincerely hope they don't make a change. The 35-second shot clock is part of what makes college basketball so intriguing for me. I feel that there's a lot more room for strategy and different styles within the parameters of a longer shot clock. The kids that are good enough will have 10-15 years to play with a shorter shot clock. Let them do that after college.

TheSultan
04-23-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't think this harms Wisconsin. On the defensive end they get to guard for five less seconds.

MUMac
04-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't think this harms Wisconsin. On the defensive end they get to guard for five less seconds.

That is only half the game. UW wants to force defenses to guard for 35 seconds. So, it does harm UW. Cost/benefit, I think it harms more than anything. Teams now shoot/score well before 35 seconds most times down the court against UW. UW, though, likes to milk the clock on the offensive end.

MUMac
04-23-2013, 08:13 AM
That is only half the game. UW wants to force defenses to guard for 35 seconds. So, it does harm UW. Cost/benefit, I think it harms more than anything. Teams now shoot/score well before 35 seconds most times down the court against UW. UW, though, likes to milk the clock on the offensive end.

I do not like the change. If I want to watch the pro style, I will watch the NBA. I choose, though, not to watch that style of basketball. I see nothing wrong with the 35 second clock.

I am disappointed to that there was no discussion on modifying the flagrant foul rule. That needs immediate attention, moreso than the shot clock, IMHO. I also would like to see changes to the charging/blocking with a secondary defender. That call is the most incorrectly called in the game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
I agree if they went to 24 that would be too drastic, but I think if they went to 30 it would be okay. That said if they go to 30 I don't see it having as dramatic of an effect as some are saying, sure there will be more possessions, but 30 seconds is more than enough time to get the ball up the floor and set up and offense and establish someone in the post, or kick out for another option. It will affect some of the slower paced teams more, but I don't see Wisconsin ruined by it. If you watch college basketball there was a lot of teams getting the ball up the court and then passing around the perimeter for a good 5-10 seconds, or some players literally just standing there dribbling. That 5 second change forces teams to move the ball and act just a little quicker.

The next thing I want to see is reducing the amount of timeouts teams have! There is an insane amount of stoppage time in basketball, between TV timeouts, and the 5 timeouts each team gets each half it can really draw the game out.

TheSultan
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
I would like the NBA and NCAA to adopt FIBA rules - TOs only allowed after a dead ball or an opponents basket. Not going to happen though.

Phantom Warrior
04-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Buzz,

I agree there won't be drastic changes if they adopt a 30-second clock. Most of my comments were aimed at a change to 24 seconds, which I think would have an enormous impact.

MayorBeluga
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
1. Timeouts only ater a made basket and at a deadball is something that's long overdue.
2. Eiminate the rule giving coaches 30 seconds to substitute a player after someone fouls out.
3. Extend the Fightin' 218's ban on showtunes to the entire NCAA.
4. Minimize players huddling before every free throw.
5. Clean up the intentional foul rule - it was an absolute disaster this season.
6. Make the arc under the basket bigger.
7. Enforce three seconds, teams hitting the ball after a made basket and the coaching box.
8. Ban those Adidas uniforms or allow MU to bring back the bumble bees.
9. Limit how many games refs can call, even if that manes making them employees instead of independent contractors.

CaribouJim
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
1. Timeouts only ater a made basket and at a deadball is something that's long overdue.
2. Eiminate the rule giving coaches 30 seconds to substitute a player after someone fouls out.
5. Clean up the intentional foul rule - it was an absolute disaster this season.
7. Enforce three seconds, teams hitting the ball after a made basket and the coaching box.
9. Limit how many games refs can call, even if that manes making them employees instead of independent contractors.

#3 is a tad extreme don't you think?

I'm in favor of an additional foul granted if game goes into overtime. If a player fouls out in regulation they are gone, but if it goes into OT, no matter how many OT's, you're out at 6.

Goose85
04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Is the shot clock rule proposal just a way to provide more separation of the major conference schools from the mid-majors like the creation of the BCS did in football? Most of the top athletes go to the BCS schools, and this rule seems to be designed to tip the scale even further in the favor of the BCS teams.

If you lower the shot clock, how is a mid major college team going to compete with the Louisville type pressure all game long?

The 24 second shot clock works in the NBA because no team can apply full court pressure for 48 minutes night in and night out. In college, full court pressure for 40 minutes a couple times a week is very possible, and likely.

Nukem2
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Why # 6...? Either get rid of it or make it an even smaller space to give the offense a better advantage.

MUMac
04-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Why # 6...? Either get rid of it or make it an even smaller space to give the offense a better advantage.

Getting rid of the arc or making it smaller gives the advantage to the defense, not the offense.

Nukem2
04-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Getting rid of the arc or making it smaller gives the advantage to the defense, not the offense.Disagree...the arc seems to have given the defense the advantage because the refs are looking at the defender's feet and missing the fact that the driver is well in the air before the defender (often secondary) plants his feet outside the arc.

MUMac
04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Disagree...the arc seems to have given the defense the advantage because the refs are looking at the defender's feet and missing the fact that the driver is well in the air before the defender (often secondary) plants his feet outside the arc.

You only cited part of it and did not finish ... And they are calling it a charge if the feet are outside the arc and a block if they are inside the arc. They do not look to see if the defender established position, either.

Though the broader point which you missed is that by enlarging the arc, you are giving the advantage to the offense as the secondary defender now has to establish position further away from the basket - allowing the offense more ability to change directions. Plus, the chances of the offensive player being in the air at the time of the collision is smaller.

IWB
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I wish they would get rid of the arc, I wish they would correct the flagrant foul rule.

But my biggest question, whether it is the shot clock or anything else, why do they feel they need to make changes every single year? Why change the shot clock? Is there a group of coaches screaming that the clock is too long?

Is there a rules committee that is being paid an inflated salary that feels they have to make changes or else the NCAA might find out that they do nothing all year and might get their salary yanked?

TulsaWarrior
04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
The shot clock change seems to be something the "haves" are pushing to keep up start schools down.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Realistically I don't see this shot clock thing as a big issue, they are discussing dropping it to 30 seconds, which means its only 5 seconds less, I don't think that will create as many extra possessions as some people think, and I certainly don't think it will significantly alter the competitive landscape either... That said, I will agree with a few things, first I don't see it as something that really needs to be changed, I understand the reason they want to change it, but as pointed out above there are other rules that slow down the game much more than the shot clock. I do agree that dropping the clock down to 24 seconds would be a bad idea, but from my understanding 30 seconds is what they are considering at this time, so I'm mostly okay with that because I don't see it changing much other than affecting a few select teams that like to take the air out of the ball, but it seems recently teams are moving away from that style more and more anyhow.