PDA

View Full Version : ESPN story with Stone Mention

mufansince72
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/9199233/players-families-new-ncaa-rules-college-basketball

CaribouJim
04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
I like his Dad's approach:

All text messages, tweets and phone calls from coaches must be forwarded to his parents before he responds. If his son violates the rules, Bob Stone will take away his phone for 30 days. "I think grown-ups should talk to grown-ups and kids should talk to kids," Bob Stone said. "I think if a coach wants to have communication with my son, they should check with us first. He's not old enough to pay bills. He's not old enough to make decisions. I just think it's disrespectful to go through a 16- or 17-year-old kid when he has parents. . . . I think there's an order for everything."

IWB
04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Caribou - I was going to post the exact same thing. Wish there were more parents taking this type of approach.

MUMac
04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
When my kids were being recruited, there were some coaches who wanted to talk to the parents first. I really liked and respected that. Unfortunately, once the coaches got the cell phone numbers, we almost never knew when they contacted the kids. I really did not like that. I preferred to know who called, when and then discuss the conversations with the kids to help them understand the process. It could get out of control fast.

I applaud Mr. Stone for doing it this way. I wish we would have.

CaribouJim
04-22-2013, 08:01 PM
When my kids were being recruited, there were some coaches who wanted to talk to the parents first. I really liked and respected that. Unfortunately, once the coaches got the cell phone numbers, we almost never knew when they contacted the kids. I really did not like that. I preferred to know who called, when and then discuss the conversations with the kids to help them understand the process. It could get out of control fast.

I applaud Mr. Stone for doing it this way. I wish we would have.

Just curious, what day parts were they texting, calling etc.? Were they at least staying away from school hours?

MUMac
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Just curious, what day parts were they texting, calling etc.? Were they at least staying away from school hours?

Usually during the week in the evening and night. They did stay away from school hours.

mufansince72
04-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Usually during the week in the evening and night. They did stay away from school hours.

Except for Crean, who we know texted Jamil Wilson while he was in school.:cool: