PDA

View Full Version : Further expansion of conferences pretty much dead now

MU_Iceman
04-22-2013, 01:08 PM
With the ACC agreeing to a grant of rights today.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9200081/acc-schools-ok-media-rights-deal-sources-say

ge1974
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Bad day for Cincy and UCONN.

Goose85
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Is there a period before this goes into effect?

I wonder if ND, even though it is just basketball, would have preferred not making such a long term promise to the ACC.

IWB
04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Is there a period before this goes into effect?

Have to look at the Maryland lawsuit. Their whole contention is that the ACC rules state that any new rule goes into effect one year after the date that it was agreed to. So, if Maryland is right and they need 12 full months - there is a window. If Maryland is wrong - everyone is pretty much stuck in that conference.

Nukem2
Maybe...maybe not. They are on the good side of this equation. But, highly doubtful.

TheSultan
I've been saying this for awhile. The ACC was nowhere near as unstable as people thought it was. The Big Ten got a team that was desperate for new sources of $$$, and I even wonder if down the line that they might have some "buyer's remorse" about giving up on the ACC so soon.

ge1974
04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Maybe...maybe not. They are on the good side of this equation. But, highly doubtful.

Please explain. Do you think the Big Ten would want them??? The Big 12???

IWB
04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Big 12 might want Cincy, doubt they want UConn though.

MUMac
04-22-2013, 02:02 PM

Maybe the Big 12 does something to placate WVU for the travel issues they face? If not, WVU better quit whining and increase it's travel budget, as they are locked in now.

MUfan12
04-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Yep. They're more or less stuck.

Would still love to see them stick FB somewhere else and join up with the NBE. Beats the hell out of SLU/Dayton/Richmond.

TheSultan
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Would still love to see them stick FB somewhere else and join up with the NBE. Beats the hell out of SLU/Dayton/Richmond.

That is simply not going to happen.

Nukem2
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Please explain. Do you think the Big Ten would want them??? The Big 12???
As I posted, it would be highly unlikely that the other BCS conferences will want them. Conversely, the grant of rights has no bearing on them (ie., they are on the good side of that equation; but with no likely alternatives ).

ge1974
04-22-2013, 02:32 PM

IWB, if the Big 12 decided they do want Cincy they will have an omelette on their face because they previoulsy turned down Louisville.

Question - since Syracuse and PITT are going to the ACC effective July 1st, 2013 could the Big Ten still come in before that entrance date and snatch one or both of them? Or, perhaps Syracuse and UCONN? Just thinking out loud as to what sort of chaos is next for expansion.

DCwarrior
04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't think it's over for UCONN and Cincy.

If ND were to join the ACC full-time, then UCONN would likely get the 16th spot. UCONN could also still join the B1G (along w/ Missouri) if they were to expand to 16 -- adds one in the East and one in the West and the SEC has no grant in rights so Missouri would definitely be in play. Cincy's only hope is to join the Big 12 although the ACC may want to bring them in to get into the Ohio market.

The best thing both schools could do is improve their overall academic profile (both from a University standpoint as well from their athletic departments)

The Reptile
04-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Have to look at the Maryland lawsuit. Their whole contention is that the ACC rules state that any new rule goes into effect one year after the date that it was agreed to. So, if Maryland is right and they need 12 full months - there is a window. If Maryland is wrong - everyone is pretty much stuck in that conference.

I also think that part of their case is that they voted against some things, like a higher exit fee. If they can get away with what they are claiming then others that voted no on the media rights issue may have a case.

MU/Panther
04-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Would still love to see them stick FB somewhere else and join up with the NBE. Beats the hell out of SLU/Dayton/Richmond. There solid AAC members. It will be an OK basketball league.

MU/Panther
04-22-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't think it's over for UCONN and Cincy.

If ND were to join the ACC full-time Notre Dame isn't joining any football league untill 2026. They just signed 10 more years with NBC.