PDA

View Full Version : MU may play New Mexico next year

mufansince72
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/sports/lobos-mbb-may-play-marquette-in-2013-14

warriorfan4life
04-21-2013, 03:20 PM
New Mexico returns all their key guys except for Tony Snell, and should be really good again this season. Also, there are some signs of New Mexico offense breaking out under Craig Neal similar to how ours did in Buzz's first year (coaching preaching to play at a faster tempo).

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
That would be a good matchup for this year, would we start at home?

AlexJesswein
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Perhaps a warm up for Anaheim?

IWB
04-22-2013, 07:08 AM
MU was looking for two solid home and homes, one to start this year, one to start next year, so if this is not at home this year, there should be one more to come that will be.

MU/Panther
04-22-2013, 08:39 AM
So, MU is looking for two H/H series, one to start at home and the other to start on the road in 2013-14 season.

You can't get any better of a school that is not in a BCS league than New Mexico. Always a great RPI school.

Goose85
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Playing at "The Pit" would be a tough non conference road game. Good test for MU.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-22-2013, 10:15 AM
This would be a solid get and I'd hope to start at home this year. That way Dawson would have a decent chance of getting some PT in front of his friends and family next year.

MU/Panther
04-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I think the Dawson factor has 0% to do with this match-up.

04-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I think the Dawson factor has 0% to do with this match-up.

Whether it does or not, I think it should. I am very much a fan of the idea of giving players homecoming games like UNC does. I think it's the type of thing that could help when you are recruiting kids to come hundreds if not thousands of miles from home. I'd be a big fan of seeing us look at a series with Memphis in the next couple years for Jajuan's benefit, especially as he committed to a league that was planning on having the Tigers in it. I know homesickness is something many of these kids will deal with regardless, but if they have the promise of a visit home and letting their friends and family see them play I honestly think that could help.

GOMU1104
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I want MU to play the best schedule possible. If they so happen to be guys' hometowns, great....but I don't think that should be the motivation.

TheSultan
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Good thing we never nailed down the Juan Anderson homecoming game with Cal.

MU/Panther
04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I want MU to play the best schedule possible. If they so happen to be guys' hometowns, great....but I don't think that should be the motivation. That is the point I'm making.

04-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Good thing we never nailed down the Juan Anderson homecoming game with Cal.

No, but he would have had the 76/Anaheim Classic next year had he stuck it out.

MU/Panther
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
I think it's now the DirecTV Classic.

MUBasketball
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Another mention of the possible Marquette/New Mexico game:

The Lobos have a rugged schedule too, playing Kansas in Kansas City, competing in the Charleston Classic, hosting Cincinnati, and possibly partaking in a two-day event in Las Vegas, where Neal is hoping Marquette signs on to be the other marquee team. He also hopes to be back in the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon, where UNM hosted Davidson last year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9210763/craig-neal-new-mexico-lobos-running-first-head-coaching-gig-college-basketball

MUMac
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Another mention of the possible Marquette/New Mexico game:

The Lobos have a rugged schedule too, playing Kansas in Kansas City, competing in the Charleston Classic, hosting Cincinnati, and possibly partaking in a two-day event in Las Vegas, where Neal is hoping Marquette signs on to be the other marquee team. He also hopes to be back in the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon, where UNM hosted Davidson last year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9210763/craig-neal-new-mexico-lobos-running-first-head-coaching-gig-college-basketball

So, does that mean it is not part of the two home & home games MU is trying to schedule this year?

Goose85
04-25-2013, 01:19 PM
I'd welcome New Mexico.

Other than Wisconsin, who else do we have non conference?

No longer have the SEC challenge where we got the Florida game last year. Done with the LSU deal I think.

Also losing Lousiville, Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Notre Dame, Cincy and replacing with X, Creighton, Butler so we do need some non conference upgrades to offset.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
No, but he would have had the 76/Anaheim Classic next year had he stuck it out.

Anderson is from Oakland, that's 6.5 hours drive from Anaheim... That'd be like UNC telling Tokoto they wanna schedule a game at home for him and scheduling it in St. Louis... No way was that tournament in anyway shape or form scheduled for Juan. Sure it's closer than MKE, but that's still not anywhere close to a home coming.

04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I made it in about 5 hours...but I get what you mean. Not a short trip. Still a lot closer and I like the idea of giving recruits the chance to get some games closer to home, especially if they aren't from cities anywhere near schools in the Big East.