PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we can get this guy.

Mucrisco
04-18-2013, 10:05 PM
For those that have facebook and like watching recruit videos on youtube:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=167142050116774

Markedman
04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I prefer this guy....

http://midwestballers.com/?p=4681

Mucrisco
04-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Nice, as long as we are posting these, here's another:
http://ballislife.com/the-neal-twins-vs-john-dawson-marquette-the-3-point-shootout-at-the-chris-bosh-hoopfest/

TrevorCandelino
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
wow, I know it's a "feel good" as JG likes to say but Dawson looks like he has a pretty nice handle......Excited to see what that kid can do....Has anyone seen him play in person?

ValiantSailor
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
wow, I know it's a "feel good" as JG likes to say but Dawson looks like he has a pretty nice handle......Excited to see what that kid can do....Has anyone seen him play in person?

Interesting how many people "assume" he'll be a project, because all of the other freshmen are known to be very good. I wonder if Dawson might be the best of them all?

VS

Mucrisco
04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see at least a whole game to make any sort of real predictions, but I could see Dawson being the point guard if he is more of a distributer, and playing Wilson as the two guard so that he's more in a position to score.

Mucrisco
04-19-2013, 09:11 AM
You can buy some of his games here. I'm might get some.
http://stores.proviewacademy.com/-strse-all/keyword/clovis/searchpath/223061937/start/1/total/106/Categories.bok

Markedman
04-19-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't think Dawson had a great year from what we have been able to find out. Too many games where he got into foul trouble or didn't produce or both.

Mucrisco
04-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Have you guys just been looking at stats though? MUCookie brought that up. I'd withhold on that opinion until you actually watch the games. You said that high school coaches don't like to have their stars play defense to stay out of foul trouble, but that's not always the case. Just looking at that highlight tape, they have him picking up full court, jamming the ball, much like Cadougan and Derrick Wilson did this year. Personally, foul trouble doesn't bother me. It is much easier getting someone to play less aggressively on defense, than trying to get them to pick up their intensity. Also, how do we know he didn't produce? He still was a first team all-state. He was first team all state last year too. Plus, he has a D1 scholarship at a high major. So, obviously he will have a reputation as an elite player. Due to that, other coaches will game plan to take him out of the game. As a point guard, I'm glad that he didn't force things so that he can just get his stats, if that was the case. Also, since his team made the state finals and they had a second team all-state kid on the team, there obviously was other talent on the team. Maybe he didn't record any stats because his team was blowing out the team. It could have been a layup drill. Since he's the point guard, he was passing ahead and getting hockey assists, but those don't count in basketball. Maybe the other team wanted to take him out of the game. So they face guarded him. They went to trap him, each time he tuched the ball. So his own coach stuck him in the corner as a decoy to draw attention, and allowed his other talented players to make plays. Some may think Dawson isn't producing, but he's drawing defense and creating space. Maybe Dawson has a pure point guard's mentality and wants to get everyone involved. You don't always have to do that by scoring or directly passing for a score. Maybe I want to get my shooter a shot. So I pass away from him, then cut towards him and screen his defender to get him open for a shot. Maybe my big man is rim running hard on the break. I czn't make a direct pass to him, but if I pass ahead to the wing because I know he can get him the ball. So, until anyone sees him play in a game, instead of just gathering information, I believe that is the only way to judge how he produces. When Buzz described Derrick Wilson after the Butler game, he believed he was the best player on the floor and the reason why they won the game. Derrick Wilson doesn't get great stats, but he produced.

Markedman
04-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Point taken and that's why I said "I don't think".

Typically when a kid has a bunch of games as a high major recruit where he doesn't produce it worries me a bit......Ted could probably speak to this more since he seemed to follow Dawson's production more closely.

Could be a he just had a bad stretch or needs to be coached to play smarter......as you said hard to say without seeing the games. I like his skill set on tape....

ps. Derrick is a good defender but I wouldn't call what he did this year "producing". Offense ground to a halt whenver he was in the game....other teams didn't even guard him. If he doesn't get better and he is our main point guard next year we are in big trouble......

Mucrisco
04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about being worried, especially with the lack of production through stats and information. I'm anxious to see him play because he seems to be the big unknown. I'm hoping that we can play both Dawson and Wilson out there at the same time. If they were capable, and it were me, I'd start Dawson, Duane, and JuJuan along with Jamil and Otule. I'd let them go through growing pains, and have four glorious years, but still having experience on the floor through Jamil and Otule. Duane, Jamil, and JuJuan would be my scorers, Dawson would be my playmaker, and Otule would be my workhorse. Then, you can bring in more scoring with Davante, Mayo, and Taylor, and more workhorses with McKay and Burton. Derrick Wilson would play the same role. Of course this is all playing out in my head, and pure speculation without seeing the new kids play in a D1 game, so it will never happen...