PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud.....

IWB
04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Just thinking out loud...... how many people from here are planning on going to the first ever lacrosse home game this weekend?

Markedman
04-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't go outside unless it's above 60 degrees.....think I should move to Florida or Arizona?

TulsaWarrior
04-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Years ago when I moved out to Virgina I was covering UVA sports. It was the first time I had ever seen a lacrosse game. UVA was drawing some pretty good sports for a game that was pretty much a regional sport at the time. I'd urge fans to support the team.

IWB
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Here is a great quote from someone at MU who will remain nameless.....

"It took me five years to like watching soccer, it took me five games to be completely addicted to Lacrosse."

MUfan12
04-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Was thinking about it, but it depends on the weather. If I don't make it Saturday, I'll definitely be at the Duke game.

MU_Iceman
04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't go outside unless it's above 60 degrees.....think I should move to Florida or Arizona?

I don't go outside if it's ABOVE 80, unless I absolutely have to. HATE summer. :confused:

The Reptile
04-18-2013, 03:56 PM
If you can, go. I took my boys to the game against High Point on Saturday. High Point is in their first year just like Marquette. Our guys played an outstanding game and won 14-6. Our goalie is terrific and there are some really talented players on this squad. This team is worthy of our support.

For those who don't understand the game it's pretty simple. Picture hockey on grass but 10 on 10 instead of 6 on 6. The attack players don't ever leave the attack side of the field and the defenders don't leave the goal that they're defending. The only players that can cross the center line are the midfielders. There are some new rules this year that speeds up the game. Lots of subs on the fly just like hockey and teams have 20 seconds to bring the ball up field or turn it over. Beyond that I think you'll get the idea.

wiscwarrior
04-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Here is a great quote from someone at MU who will remain nameless.....

"It took me five years to like watching soccer, it took me five games to be completely addicted to Lacrosse."

I totally agree with the quote. I think it can eventually become a very popular sport nationwide. I was driving thru small-town DeForest, WI and saw a sign advertising "DeForest Lacrosse" sweatshirts. Lacrosse is gaining popularity fast.

CaribouJim
04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
If you can, go. I took my boys to the game against High Point on Saturday. High Point is in their first year just like Marquette. Our guys played an outstanding game and won 14-6. Our goalie is terrific and there are some really talented players on this squad. This team is worthy of our support.

For those who don't understand the game it's pretty simple. Picture hockey on grass but 10 on 10 instead of 6 on 6. The attack players don't ever leave the attack side of the field and the defenders don't leave the goal that they're defending. The only players that can cross the center line are the midfielders. There are some new rules this year that speeds up the game. Lots of subs on the fly just like hockey and teams have 20 seconds to bring the ball up field or turn it over. Beyond that I think you'll get the idea.

...and Jim Brown was one of best lacrosse players of all time. Like college b-ball temporarily disallowing dunking due in a large part to players like Lew Alcindor, lacrosse permanently disallowed players pinning the ball against their chest. Brown would do that and run down the field with the opposition slapping their sticks against his chest...harmlessly.

I've been watching the lacrosse FF on Memorial Day weekend for the last few years - great crowds.

IrwinFletcher
04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I like the fact that MU is getting in on Lacrosse early in its rise of popularity in the Midwest. It will allow them to develop a program and maybe be a dominant one, especially in the area. I think that is whey Tennessee and UConn are so good, they got in on the "ground floor" with womens hoops and they haven't looked back. Hope they can do the same.

I do prefer Soccer by a wide margin though....