PDA

View Full Version : Why Vander going Pro would be a huge mistake....

IWB
04-16-2013, 07:45 AM
There are several reasons why Vander Blue going pro would be a HUGE mistake......

Numbers: At this point, there are 33 early entrants. There are approximately 22 seniors that are expected to be drafted. There will also around 10 international players drafted. Where does he fall in that mix?

Skills: Vander has come a long way, especially with his on court maturity. However, his handle on the ball and his shot still need some work.

Fox Sports: To me, the biggest reason why he should not go this year is because of Fox Sports. Next year the New Big East enters into unchartered waters. There are a lot of unknowns. But here is what is known. We have seen this before when Fox shocked the world and picked up the NFL contract. What happened? They promoted the living hell out of it and succeeded. Fox will bring the same mentality to the New Big East. With that, they will promote their product, and promote it in a REALLY BIG WAY. At this point, Marquette is a pre-season top 10 team. Vander Blue will likely be pre-season first team All-Big East, and actually has a shot at preseason player of the year. Fox will promote the living daylights out of that. Fox will be driving the Vander Blue bus.

So, go into the draft this year, risk not being picked at all or possibly late in the second round. Play D-League or Euro Ball where you will be taking the bus from Fort Wayne to Erie, or stay at MU one more year, let Fox build you up while you take a run at the Final Four and grab a first round or possible lottery pay check next year and make more than you ever would had you left one year early.

The decision is up to Vander Blue, so what ever he does I will wish him well, but in my mind, going this year would be a mistake.

DCwarrior
04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
The biggest reason he shouldn't go pro this year is because he's not good enough right now. I hope he likes making making $30K a year and riding buses in the D-League or playing in China or Israel because those are what his options are going to be next year.

TulsaWarrior
04-16-2013, 07:57 AM
That point about Fox marketing the heck out of the Big East is a drum I've been pounding for some time. Players and teams will be showcased like never before. The name recognition will be priceless.

MU/Panther
04-16-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't see the Fox Sports as a reason at all.

bleedbluegold03
04-16-2013, 03:49 PM
depends on how much Fox Sports pushes the NBE as a side show. If it is relegated to the new cable network, the imprint will be strong. If they could schedule a Sunday, "game of the week" afternoon game after the NFL season is over, that would be HUGE

IWB
04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Fox is not paying $500 mil to let it be a side show. Fox will push the crap out of this as they want to take on ESPN.

IrwinFletcher
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
What does being on Fox Sports have to do with draft status? Is the buzz created by a network more important that scout's and GM's analysis of tape and workouts?

MUMac
04-16-2013, 04:39 PM
What does being on Fox Sports have to do with draft status? Is the buzz created by a network more important that scout's and GM's analysis of tape and workouts?

Visibility. But, you make a good point.

CaribouJim
04-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Agree 100%, but if they are really going to promote the players and not just the coaches and it is a high profile player it could help their "brand" after they get out of school which may lead to more lucrative promotional opportunities. Especially if they are playing only one or 2 years. Other than Davis and maybe Kidd-Gilchrist, I'd be hard pressed to name many of the UK players from last year. Way back when before players could leave early, players became iconic and were flooded with offers upon graduating,i.e., Jabbar, Walton, Thompson etc.

Nukem2
04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Wish Vander was staying, but it is what it is. Obviously, Van's goal is to play in the NBA and he is coming off a good run to the Elite 8 (though the Cuse game highlighted his limitations). Academics are probably not his thing and he could come back to school to finish up if necessary as he has a year or so to go. Injuries are always a possibility and sometimes coming back after a good junior season does not always work out ( see JordanTaylor on both counts ).

Yes, his shot is problematical though not sure it would improve that much with an extra year?

It's a done deal, so we do need to look at things from his perspective. FBOW

Wish Van well in his NBA pursuit and thank him for his contributions to MUs successes the past 3 years.

IWB
04-16-2013, 05:34 PM

How many guys were drafted high in the draft over the years but didn't do much in the NBA, with the excuse always being that they were "over-hyped"? It happens all of the time. Here in Wisconsin Tony Mandarich and The Vaccinator were drafted extremely high because of the hype surrounding them. They were labled busts. Actually, they weren't bad, but they didn't live up to "the hype".

Yes, Scouts and GMs should only be looking at the skills, ability, attitude etc, but it is naive to think that hype and exposure have nothing to do with the draft. If anything, it has too much to do with the draft.

Being on press row I always look at what NBA Scouts are at the MU games. Some games zero, some games a few, some games a lot. Why a lot? Usually because the opponent has a player with a lot of hype. They come to see if he is the real deal. They come to gain an opinion. Why? Because that player is ranked? Scores? No, because that player has a ton of hype surrounding him.

No one knows what next year will bring, but I see Fox forcing a ton of attention on this league. Not as much as they did with the NFL, but Fox will undoubtedly over expose this league. People from coast to coast will know about the Big East whether they want to or not. That is a good thing for players in the league.

ydouask23
04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
How many guys were drafted high in the draft over the years but didn't do much in the NBA, with the excuse always being that they were "over-hyped"? It happens all of the time. Here in Wisconsin Tony Mandarich and The Vaccinator were drafted extremely high because of the hype surrounding them. They were labled busts. Actually, they weren't bad, but they didn't live up to "the hype".

Yes, Scouts and GMs should only be looking at the skills, ability, attitude etc, but it is naive to think that hype and exposure have nothing to do with the draft. If anything, it has too much to do with the draft.

Being on press row I always look at what NBA Scouts are at the MU games. Some games zero, some games a few, some games a lot. Why a lot? Usually because the opponent has a player with a lot of hype. They come to see if he is the real deal. They come to gain an opinion. Why? Because that player is ranked? Scores? No, because that player has a ton of hype surrounding him.

No one knows what next year will bring, but I see Fox forcing a ton of attention on this league. Not as much as they did with the NFL, but Fox will undoubtedly over expose this league. People from coast to coast will know about the Big East whether they want to or not. That is a good thing for players in the league.

NBA scouts are classic for being conservative. I think Blue is a bit of a character risk anyway from some of the allegations a few years ago. Sad day for us. He matured a lot and became a grinder like Buzz wants, but man this was a dumb decision.

unclejohn
04-17-2013, 01:34 AM
In Mandrich's case, it was a direct result of loading up on steroids. When he quit using them, he was not anywhere near the same player. The Packers never would have drafted him #2 if he had been clean. Later, he cleaned up and did manage a career in the NFL, but was only mediocre. That's pretty good, considering how hard it is to be an NFL player, but he never should have been more than a late-round pic. The Pack unfortunately fell in love with a paint job.

IWB
04-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Good grief. I'm sorry that I used Mandarich as an example. Do we really need to read that much into a freaking example? Tony Mandarich was an example not because he used 'roids, but because he was the ultimate hype machine.

Would you feel better if I used Hasheem Thabeet? Joe Alexander? Greg Oden? Adam Morrison? Kwame Brown? Michael Olowokandi? Tractor Traylor? Ed O'Bannon?

Guys like Morrison were way over hyped because of the media. These are examples of media hype gone bad. There are also plenty of examples of media hype helping guys get to where they are, or at least helping them get a shot. That was my point - Fox Sports will do everything they can to make some guys from the new Big East household names next year, but Vander will not be one of them.

bleedbluegold03
04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I guess in 15 months we'll be able to sit and review the Draft result of one kid who left before his senior season (Blue) and one who did return (Wilson). thing going against Wilson is he will be a 5 year senior

2013UnleashTheBeast
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Good grief. I'm sorry that I used Mandarich as an example. Do we really need to read that much into a freaking example? Tony Mandarich was an example not because he used 'roids, but because he was the ultimate hype machine.

Would you feel better if I used Hasheem Thabeet? Joe Alexander? Greg Oden? Adam Morrison? Kwame Brown? Michael Olowokandi? Tractor Traylor? Ed O'Bannon?

Guys like Morrison were way over hyped because of the media. These are examples of media hype gone bad. There are also plenty of examples of media hype helping guys get to where they are, or at least helping them get a shot. That was my point - Fox Sports will do everything they can to make some guys from the new Big East household names next year, but Vander will not be one of them.

I like those examples, but would omit Oden (injury plagued career, otherwise likely would have been very good, although I was telling everyone and their mother that Durant would be better) and put Jimmer Fredette in his place. I agree that Van definitley could have ridden a hype tidal wave as the new league's bona fide star.