PDA

View Full Version : Freshmen

Phantom Warrior
04-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Many posters seem skeptical about how much of an impact next year's incoming freshmen can have, saying things like, "They'll only be freshmen." However, over the past dozen years, we have seen a slew of freshmen come into the program and contribute immediately.

In the recruiting Class of 2000, ODB started as a frosh and played very well.

In the Class of '01, Travis didn't start, but he got starters' minutes (24 mpg) and was a major contributor - 7.9 ppg and 44% from behind the arc.

In the Class of '02, Novak, as sixth man, averaged 16 mpg and 7.1 ppg with 52% on treys.

In the Class of '03, Mason earned a starting slot at mid-season and eventually averaged 22 mpg, 9.0 ppg, and 4.5 rpg and shot 52% on threes.

In the Class of '04, Amoroso averaged 15 mpg, 6.0 ppg, and 3.6 rpg, and he shot 49% from the field.

In the Class of '05, James averaged 31.5 mpg, 15.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 5.4 apg; McNeal averaged 27.5 mpg, 11.1 ppg, and 4.5 rpg; and, Matthews averaged 25 mpg, 9.0 ppg, and 4.0 rpg.

In the Class of '06, Hayward averaged 16 mpg, 6.6 ppg, and 3.6 rpg.

Even during Buzz's tenure, frosh have contributed.

In the Class of '08, CO was the only freshman, and he was injured.

In the Class of '09, Maymon was building his mpg, but he already averaged 16 mpg in his nine games before leaving.

In the Class of '10, Vander averaged 19 mpg (sixth on the team) and 5.1 ppg.

In the Class of '11, Mayo averaged 21.1 mpg and 7.9 ppg.

Given the incoming freshmen and the opportunities for playing time, I will not be at all surprised if one of the frosh (most likely DW) sees 24-25 mpg, while another (maybe JJ) gets at least 15-16 mpg. More importantly, I don't see any reason why both can not have solid seasons and be major contributors.

Maybe a third frosh will end up with 10-12 mpg. It's possible.

I'm not saying these freshmen will contibute like the Amigos did in '05-'06. There were three open starting spots on that team, and we had only Chapman coming back at the guard spot as Mason, who had started for a year and a half, transferred.

I am very optimistic about this year's incoming frosh. I think they will do just fine.