PDA

View Full Version : Cody Zeller to NBA Draft

ge1974
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/cody-zeller-to-the-nba-draft/

Phantom Warrior
04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I think Crean just blew his best chance of getting to a Final Four, let alone a national championship. Hell, he didn't even make it to the Elite Eight.

He is now losing four key players from this year's team. They may be good the next few years, but this was his big chance. Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Mark Miller
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I think Crean just blew his best chance of getting to a Final Four, let alone a national championship. Hell, he didn't even make it to the Elite Eight.

He is now losing four key players from this year's team. They may be good the next few years, but this was his big chance. Kind of makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Check out Crean's incoming recruiting class. He will have other opportunities to make a Final Four. Many, in fact.

mutpm
04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Does this mean we will have to hear Crean talk about rebuilding from nothing again? IU is losing 67% of their scoring, 61% of their rebounding, and 51% of their assists.

eddiedswang
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Stop with these nasty remarks about Coach Crean. Can't you guys get over him? He is one of the top five coaches of the decade. Stop with this nonsense. You're all jealous. He sets the bar for what a human being should be. I will show you his press clippings. He is the master. Is this good Alpha??

IWB
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Most people have them as the 6th best recruiting class in the country, they won't be hurting for talent.

Nukem2
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Most people have them as the 6th best recruiting class in the country, they won't be hurting for talent.IU has a talented class coming in, and Luke Fischer is one of the lower rated guys in that class ( which HoopScoop has at # 2 ) .

Goose85
04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Phil Pressey is going pro and is chosing an agent so he is for sure. The list is getting bigger - hopefully with no Vander.

No mention yet of McDermott from Creighton. A good thing for the New Big East and Creighton if he sticks around another year.

Markedman
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Add Carter-Williams as well to those leaving...

IrwinFletcher
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
the hope is that as the list keeps growing, Vander sees the likelihood of him going in the front part of the first round as diminishing. I think a good solid Senior season will improve his draft stock. He will be able to point to the likes of Jimmy Bulter, Jae Crowder and Wes Matthews as guys who went to Marquette and played 4 years at the collegiate level and were able to contribute to their NBA teams.

MUAlphaBangura
04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Stop with these nasty remarks about Coach Crean. Can't you guys get over him? He is one of the top five coaches of the decade. Stop with this nonsense. You're all jealous. He sets the bar for what a human being should be. I will show you his press clippings. He is the master. Is this good Alpha??
Eddie, your post drips with sincerity. No actually it just makes my a$$ drip. We just have to find some middle ground here. I'll start. Coach Crean has a long way to go as it pertains to being a good sport. Hard to believe he hasn't learned to be even somewhat humble. It's definitely hurting his public perception. Still think he's a very good recruiter and a good game planner. Needs work on in game adjustments. Think he will still be a major factor for the forseeable future at IU. Will always be grateful for what he did for MU and me personally over the years. Remember, the guy everyone saw running the program at MU was different than the guy in private. It had to be that way. The guy in private is an outstanding human being.

MUAlphaBangura
04-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Phantom, Did Coach Buzz "blow" his chance at a final four because he also lost to Syracuse? I think both Coach Crean and Coach Buzz will be just fine with more oppotunities in the near future.

Phantom Warrior
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
MU wasn't ranked #1 pre-season. MU wasn't ranked #1 for a significant portion of the season. MU was not seeded #1 in one of the four regions. MU didn't have two almost certain first round draft picks on its roster this year. MU over-achieved relative to expectations. IU failed to meet expectations; at least I'm pretty certain most IU fans feel that way.

As for Buzz, Buzz didn't leave a program that has gotten farther in the NCAA tournament the last three years than the program he bolted to.

As for IU, these were all Crean's recruits this year, recruits he ostensibly felt he could not attract to MU. All those original recruits of Crean have come and gone - no national championship, no final four, no Elite Eight. And his prized big man is leaving as well.

I definitely find it ironic that MU came closer to the Final Four this year than IU did.

Do I feel gratitude to Crean for resurrecting the program? Absolutely. No question. And I have no problem with his decision to leave MU for IU. But I will never forget how he left MU, how the AD and President of the university found out about the decision from the media, not from Crean himself. and I will not forget that he did not bother to inform the amigos and the rest of the team of his decision - that they, too, had to hear the news from the media.

Sorry, Alpha, but Buzz would never do that. Nor would Al have done that. Crean's character came out with his decision to not inform his colleagues and players. I hope he never gets to the Final Four.

ValiantSailor
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Do I feel gratitude to Crean for resurrecting the program? Absolutely. No question. And I have no problem with his decision to leave MU for IU. But I will never forget how he left MU, how the AD and President of the university found out about the decision from the media, not from Crean himself. and I will not forget that he did not bother to inform the amigos and the rest of the team of his decision - that they, too, had to hear the news from the media.

Add to that the account we heard from Buzz a couple of weeks ago,,,that TC had a meeting in his home when he announced to his assistants that he was leaving for IU, and he wanted his assistants to come with him. Plenty of time to gather the assistants, but no time to tell the players or the staff. Poorly handled.

VS

IWB
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Add to that the account we heard from Buzz a couple of weeks ago,,,that TC had a meeting in his home when he announced to his assistants that he was leaving for IU, and he wanted his assistants to come with him. Plenty of time to gather the assistants, but no time to tell the players or the staff. Poorly handled.

VS

It was poorly handled and he acknowledged that and wishes it could have been different but you can't go back in time. He did tell me at one point, "I can't believe that one mistake over 48 hours could erase 9 years of hard work."

Phantom Warrior
04-11-2013, 10:25 AM
One mistake. Yes. But a mistake that pertained directly to individuals he supposedly cared about, including those who gave him his big chance and supported him. It was a conscious choice. As VS said, he had time to inform his assitant coaches and try to get them to come with him but no time to tell his AD or the university president or his players.

Spouses sometimes make only one mistake - cheating on their husband or wife. It may have been only one mistake, but it breaks a trust and usually leaves bitterness and resentment. And yes, it can undermine/destroy nine years of marriage prior to the infidelity.

All Crean had to do was be above board with what was happening. There is no way in hell Father Wild and the AD should have gotten the first notice of what was gong down - actually what had already gone down - from ESPN. That, to me, was a complete lack of integrity, and I repeat. I can not image Buzz ever doing something like that, nor Al. Or for that mater, Hank or Rick. MU has had some great coaches over the years, and I include Jack Nagle in that group. But the thing about Nagle, Al, Hank, Rick, and Buzz is that they were not only excellent coaches; they were terrific people, people of integrity.

MUfan12
04-11-2013, 11:00 AM
It was poorly handled and he acknowledged that and wishes it could have been different but you can't go back in time. He did tell me at one point, "I can't believe that one mistake over 48 hours could erase 9 years of hard work."

And likely all it would have taken was a shred of humility to set it right.

If he would have said publicly that he handled it poorly, and apologized to Wild/Cottingham/the players, I think things would have gone differently. He could have easily done that right after he left. But humility isn't one of his strong suits.

Gato78
04-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Crean did apologize to Fr. Wild, Steve Cottingham and others in the administration. I think he did so with the players too as they seem to have mended fences, though I am not sure of that. He and Dick Strong still remain tight so I assume there has been a discussion there, too. He just needed to get it right with the alums. He had opportunities, especially at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. It looked like DWade and Travis were trying to get him to take the microphone when they were on stage and he refused to do it. He still needs to do it and he started in that direction with the video for the 10th Anniversary of the Final Four. All he has to do, in a very public way, is say that he was grateful for the alums and fans who supported he and his family when he was here.

IWB
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Not to defend him on it, because I do think it was not the right thing to do, but he did apologize to Wild/Cottingham/the players, just not publicly. Don't know why people feel they should have been a part of that apology, that was between him and them, not us. While a public apology would have been a great move, his apology is/was for them, not us.

Again, I fully agree that it was crap, but... Why when apologizing to Wild/Cottingham/Wes/Jerel..... why does he need to apologize to them in front of any one of us?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I was just getting over my dislike for Crean (I never hated him), but then he did his final 4 tribute video with an IU back drop which I thought was in poor taste, then I forgot about that and moved on and saw how he handled some things this year whether it be handshakes, or chasing down that Michigan coach and I just realized I'm not a big fan of his style. That said I don't dislike him any more or less than I do Calipari or Huggins.

MUfan12
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Not to defend him on it, because I do think it was not the right thing to do, but he did apologize to Wild/Cottingham/the players, just not publicly. Don't know why people feel they should have been a part of that apology, that was between him and them, not us. While a public apology would have been a great move, his apology is/was for them, not us.

Again, I fully agree that it was crap, but... Why when apologizing to Wild/Cottingham/Wes/Jerel..... why does he need to apologize to them in front of any one of us?

I should have been clearer. I didn't doubt that he spoke with the parties affected. The point I was trying to get across was that he should have found a way to acknowledge the mistake after it happened. For instance, he could have said something like "I feel badly about how I handled things, and have apologized to MU's leadership and my former players that they didn't hear the news from me." That's all.

Instead, the last image of him after leaving MU was the picture of him arriving, the Crean and Crimson shirt, and "It's Indiana." No wonder people had a bad taste in their mouths.

eddiedswang
04-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Eddie, your post drips with sincerity. No actually it just makes my a$$ drip. We just have to find some middle ground here. I'll start. Coach Crean has a long way to go as it pertains to being a good sport. Hard to believe he hasn't learned to be even somewhat humble. It's definitely hurting his public perception. Still think he's a very good recruiter and a good game planner. Needs work on in game adjustments. Think he will still be a major factor for the forseeable future at IU. Will always be grateful for what he did for MU and me personally over the years. Remember, the guy everyone saw running the program at MU was different than the guy in private. It had to be that way. The guy in private is an outstanding human being.

Alpha.....I respect you too much to keep pushing this button....although we disagree, it is not worth pumeling each other over it.....it is over;).

MUAlphaBangura
04-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Alpha.....I respect you too much to keep pushing this button....although we disagree, it is not worth pumeling each other over it.....it is over;).

I agree. Let's find someone we can both rip on from the same side. That's a lot more fun and there are plenty of candidates. Peace.

CaribouJim
04-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree. Let's find someone we can both rip on from the same side. That's a lot more fun and there are plenty of candidates. Peace.

I don't respect either one of you guys - can I throw myself into the fray?

In any event, Jimmy B. is going crazy against the Knicks on TNT right now.

MayorBeluga
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't respect either one of you guys - can I throw myself into the fray?.

I'm sure most on this board would be more than happy to rip on Caribou's show tune loving soul. Just sayin'...

eddiedswang
04-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Caribou....Mayor Beluga is correct (as usual).....it now becomes open season on you....and the busty cheerleaders who live in your head....

IWB
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Caribou....Mayor Beluga is correct (as usual).....it now becomes open season on you....and the busty cheerleaders who live in your head....

And those he refused to give a ride home to. To quote Butch Lee, "Dude should have bought a car on credit."

CaribouJim
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
And those he refused to give a ride home to. To quote Butch Lee, "Dude should have bought a car on credit."

...and I have to live the rest of my life with that burden - that should be punishment enough.

milkbone
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 3h
Texas announces Myck Kabongo will declare for the NBA draft.

Phantom Warrior
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Not surprising, but it's too bad. I want to see UT be very successful, and the loss of MK will make that considerably more difficult.

warriorfan4life
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Not surprising, but it's too bad. I want to see UT be very successful, and the loss of MK will make that considerably more difficult.

Their offense improved, but defense regressed after his return last year. With five top 100 underclassmen in the rotation, I figure they should improve (and potentially significantly improve) as those guys got experience last year.

Goose85
04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Burke from Michigan and Len from Maryland going pro. Porter to announce decision today.

The more that go, hopefully the more likely it is that Vander decides to stay for his senior season.

Amazes me that there are more than just a couple that are going pro that are not expected to be first round picks.