IWB
04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Scott Kuykendall
Associate Athletics Director, Media Relations
Marquette University

For Immediate Release

Chris Otule To Seek Sixth Year Of Eligibility

NCAA Approval Required For Texas Native To Play In 2013-14

Milwaukee – Center Chris Otule of the Marquette University men’s basketball team is seeking approval to compete for a sixth season with the Golden Eagles and the University will file the necessary paperwork with the NCAA.

The waiver must be approved by the NCAA in order for Otule to compete in 2013-14 and a decision is expected in the coming weeks.

“We are excited that Chris has decided to go through the process of applying for his sixth year,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “We don’t anticipate any issues with this, but it’s a process that the NCAA will handle as judiciously as possible, and when we have been given confirmation, we will release that as well.”

The Richmond, Texas, native started all 35 games for MU in 2012-13 and averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in an average of 17.7 minutes per contest. He shot 63.4 percent from the floor and topped the roster in blocked shots (36). He currently ranks fifth all-time (114) in that category.

The 6-11, 265-pounder had seen his three previous seasons cut short by injury. He played in just nine games in 2008-09 after breaking his left foot and saw action in three outings in 2009-10 after suffering the same injury to his right foot. Otule played in 37 games in 2010-11, but saw his 2011-12 campaign end after just eight games when he injured his left knee (ACL) in the opening minutes against Washington.

“I am excited about the opportunity to hopefully have one official final run in my basketball career,” Otule said. “Best case, I am able to help lead our team even further into the postseason than we have gone the last few years.”

dubs98
04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Fantastic news!

IrwinFletcher
04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I thought it was reported that CO and Marquette had applied and already been granted a 6th year and that it was simply up to CO to decide to come back.

MUMac
04-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I thought it was reported that CO and Marquette had applied and already been granted a 6th year and that it was simply up to CO to decide to come back.

You are not allowed to formally petition for a Medical Hardship Waiver until the season of your 5th year of eligibility has completed. Then you have 60 days to apply.

Halo
04-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Great news. And if Mbwake was granted 10 years, Chris should have no problem on this.

MU/Panther
04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
What a force Chris and DG will be!