PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson to transfer...

IWB
04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Marquette Press Release
Scott Kuykendall
Associate Athletics Director, Media Relations

Jamal Ferguson Granted Release, Will Transfer

Freshman Hoping To Move Closer To Home

Milwaukee – Freshman forward Jamal Ferguson of the Marquette University men’s basketball team has been granted his release from the program and will transfer.

“Jamal has decided it is in the best interest of his future that he leave the team,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “He has our complete support, and we wish him nothing but the best and are very appreciative of his contributions while he was here.”

The Norfolk, Va., native appeared in 14 games off the bench for MU in 2012-13, his first season with the program. He averaged 1.1 points and 0.6 rebounds in 4.6 minutes per outing.

“I am hoping to find a school closer to my family, who are very important to me,” Ferguson said. “I would also like to obviously find a situation where I can have more playing time on the court.”

warriorfan4life
04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
If VCU has a spot, Ferguson could be real good in their havoc system. I would have loved to have Jamal a few years back when we needed athletic depth.

Nukem2
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Was hoping he would stay but, on balance, not too surprising. Best wishes for Jamal in his future endeavors.

farmerdoc
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Agreed. Love his athleticism, but wish him the best where ever he lands.

Markedman
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Best of luck to the young man.....I really think he has a big upside in the right situation.

Phantom Warrior
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not at all surprised. In fact, once we had commitments from Johnson and Burton, I anticipated Jamal transferring. He simply saw the writing on the proverbial wall. It reminds me a bit of when Dameon transferred even though he had been a starter for a year and a half once we got commitments from Jerel and Wesley.

I know the Badger lunatics will cry "Buzz-cut" as is their ilk. I vew that as their problem. Like most college players, Jamal wants to play, and he didn't see that happening over the next few years. That is why nearly 40% of D-1 players end up at a different school than the one where they started.

IWB
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
I must say, having watched him over the summer and then in the fall, he put on 10-15 lbs of muscle faster than anyone I can remember.

IrwinFletcher
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM
I am totally bummed. Thought he held some promise and wished he would have stuck it out. I think he really could have helped down the line. Best of luck to the young man.

MUMac
04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
I am totally bummed. Thought he held some promise and wished he would have stuck it out. I think he really could have helped down the line. Best of luck to the young man.

This hits my thoughts exactly.

warriorfan4life
04-09-2013, 05:45 PM

I think he will really benefit from a redshirt year, and wish he decided to take it here. He would not have played much next year, but will be a contributor somewhere down the road.

TheSultan
04-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but I have a feeling he peaked early and would be better served at a place like ODU or Hampton.

AlexJesswein
04-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Let's not forget the main guy that recruited him (Aki Collins) is no longer here.

Nukem2
04-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but I have a feeling he peaked early and would be better served at a place like ODU or Hampton.
Actually, he seems more like a late bloomer...? Will be interesting to see what he does.

TheSultan
04-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Actually, he seems more like a late bloomer...? Will be interesting to see what he does.

I'm just basing it on how he was ranked around 65 when he verballed...but fell out of the top 100 by the time he completed his senior year.

warriorfan4life
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm just basing it on how he was ranked around 65 when he verballed...but fell out of the top 100 by the time he completed his senior year.

His AAU team was a hot mess of chuckers/me-first players. Ferguson did not get the shots/attention needed to impress the scouts, but his raw tools impressed me then and still do now. Not sure if VCU has room, but I already saw they had one guard transferring and are still out on the trail recruiting.