PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Characters - Al mention...

CaribouJim
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
...although article is on Bobby Valentine. I would think if MU makes a long run this year, Buzz will be getting a lot of attention in that department.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/frank_deford/03/07/Evolution-of-baseballs-managers/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a2

"Where is Al McGuire when we need him? Abe Lemons? Duffy Daugherty? Al Davis? But it is in baseball where we most miss the characters at the helm. Baseball, after all, is the national pastime. A lot of time passes in the dugout. It's the most oral of sports. Thank heavens, even if his address has changed to Miami, Ozzie Guillen is still around to shoot his mouth off in the best tradition of Casey Stengel and Earl Weaver."

IWB
03-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Talk about coaching characters, how about Buzz helping out the kid from Big East TV? According to Goodman, the kid had no idea who he was, and this was right after security, not knowing who Buzz was, asked him to leave the media area....

CaribouJim
03-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Buzz needs to freshen up his buzz cut. Has he said how weight he has lost - looks like a good 30-40 pounds to me.

IWB
03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Lat time he talked about it I think he said 32 lbs.

Goose85
03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Buzz is a classic, and that fits MU perfectly. Love the camera man act.

A little two step in front of an empty arena, other than students that want to be on TV, and people make a big deal of it. I like that from Buzz - emotion and a little fun.

We have the name Al on our jerseys. For that same coach, in his honor, we built a statue and put his name on the basketball facility. Yep, that is the same guy that got into fights and we fondly remember jumping up on the scorers table after a big win.

We love the history and legacy that Al really started. Seem Buzz, two step - camera man - just being Buzz, is perfect for MU and our legacy.

Here's to hoping Buzz is arlound a long time adding to our sucess and MU's unique identity.