PDA

View Full Version : I know we like to hate on Rick Pitino

TheSultan
04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
But seriously, how can he not be in the Basketball Hall of Fame? He is one of the great college basketball coaches off all time, taking three schools to Final Fours, two to multiple Final Fours, and has won a national championship. All without any NCAA allegations.

I mean, look at some of the coaches who are in there now. Lou Carnesecca? Ray Meyer? John Thompson? Jim Boeheim? Not saying these guys aren't deserving, but Pitino is by far and away a better coach then any of them IMO. I mean, Coach K was elected in 2001 - at the age of 53. And Pitino is 60 now.

MUMac
04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I agree. He seldom has a down year. As you said, has done it at multiple schools, multiple times. He belongs there.

BLT
04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Wow. I already assumed he was in. While he has had personal issues and at times, team discipline issues, I also don't remember any NCAA infractions swirling about his teams, not that he is a saint in recruiting. I also think his personal scandal mellowed him and made him more likeable and humble (relative).

CaribouJim
04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Coach K was elected at age 53 because "Duke is a very, very special place". :(

MUBasketball
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Also, a quick story concerning Pitino...

Don't know if anybody who was in Lexington noticed this, but after Louisville beat Colorado State prior to the Marquette/Butler game, Pitino was doing his standard post-game media obligations on the floor. Meanwhile, Marquette and Butler came on the floor to begin warming up. Once Pitino was finished, he headed to his team's locker room. On the way, he walked past the Marquette end of the floor and was looking at the guys and clapping his hands, appearing to me that he was encouraging them and rooting for them to win. He walked pretty closely to Junior, and they shared a quick hug.

I will never hate on Pitino after his public support of the Big East as all the team's began to bail.

Nukem2
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Don't know if anybody who was in Lexington noticed this, but after Louisville beat Colorado State prior to the Marquette/Butler game, Pitino was doing his standard post-game media obligations on the floor. Meanwhile, Marquette and Butler came on the floor to begin warming up. Once Pitino was finished, he headed to his team's locker room. On the way, he walked past the Marquette end of the floor and was looking at the guys and clapping his hands, appearing to me that he was encouraging them and rooting for them to win. He walked pretty closely to Junior, and they shared a quick hug.

I will never hate on Pitino after his public support of the Big East as all the team's began to bail.Junior picked MU over Ville.

CaribouJim
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM

I will never hate on Pitino after his public support of the Big East as all the team's began to bail.

Agreed. I've always thought he looks like a vampire, but he is undoubtedly one of the 2-3 best coaches in college b-ball and he would have loved for the Big East to stay as it was. Hopefully he'll continue to schedule MU on a regular basis, if not every year. I'd like a home and home with UW, 'Ville and ND, but know that would be unlikely.

Mucrisco
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Junior did too? Wow. They have a pretty good one in Siva though. I know Dominic James did.

2013UnleashTheBeast
04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Junior did too? Wow. They have a pretty good one in Siva though. I know Dominic James did.

They stole Dieng & Blackshear from us if I'm not mistaken

Djgoldnboy
04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
They stole Dieng & Blackshear from us if I'm not mistaken

Correct.

I must admit though, seeing Pitino react to the whole Kevin Ware thing really made me see him in a new light. I never really "hated" Louisville, always respected our battles with them, but seeing him get emotional like that on the court really changed how I view him.

TheSultan
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Correct.

I must admit though, seeing Pitino react to the whole Kevin Ware thing really made me see him in a new light. I never really "hated" Louisville, always respected our battles with them, but seeing him get emotional like that on the court really changed how I view him.

I always liked the guy. He was a breath of fresh-air while at Providence. He did a great job turning around Kentucky. The whole Sypher thing was an obvious black mark, but if his wife has forgiven him, who am I to judge?

The Reptile
04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I like Louisville. Great town, friendly people and they know their hoops. The left a ship that was all but sunk because of other schools - in other words I don't blame them. Pitino is an outstanding coach. There is no getting around that fact. He recruits well, plays up tempo and that press is in a word awesome. I even felt the connection with him during the Ware injury. If you didn't you probably don't have a heart. The one thing that still bothers me about Pitino is that whole phony Journal-Sentinal story that they left behind in their locker room after they played in the BC a few years back. Good coaching/motivation move, but it still bothers me to no end. Yes, it's a small gripe. Still, I'm going to miss those guys. It was a great rivalry, we made each other better and we found new ways to entertain and frustrate fans. What more can you ask for.

unclejohn
04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Never really had a problem with Pitino. Even with his tawdry affair, the best of us has feet of clay, and he is hardly alone among basketball coaches (or HOF ones, for that matter.) For a guy who has been as successful as he has, there has been relatively little scandal associated with his programs. He definitely has a human side, which was on display among other times, when he lost his brother-in-law on 9/11. There is no doubt about his ability as a basketball coach.

IWB
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
You can say that Louisville stole Blackshear from MU, but it would not be accurate to say that in regards to Dieng.

bleedbluegold03
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
yea, if you disregard the whole him having sex with a waitress on a table deal, he seems like a really nice guy.

It's amazing how time heals all wounds...

TheSultan
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
yea, if you disregard the whole him having sex with a waitress on a table deal, he seems like a really nice guy.

It's amazing how time heals all wounds...

I really don't care who Rick Pitino has sex with and where he has it. And if his family has forgiven him, then I'm for sure not getting hung up on it.

TedBaxter
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Was that wrong? Should Pitino have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to Pitino that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause he's eaten in a lot of restaurants and I tell you, people do that all the time

TheSultan
04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Was that wrong? Should Pitino have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to Pitino that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause he's eaten in a lot of restaurants and I tell you, people do that all the time

Solid Costanza reference....

MUMac
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I really don't care who Rick Pitino has sex with and where he has it. And if his family has forgiven him, then I'm for sure not getting hung up on it.

But for that abortion he paid for ...