PDA

View Full Version : BE Could Be Real Tough Next Year

Phantom Warrior
04-01-2013, 06:45 AM
If Porter and/or McDermott return (probably the two best players) and do not opt for the NBA, the league will be very tough. Even if they don't, there will be a lot of good teams.

DePaul loses only one player - Clahar - who averaged only 7.3 ppg, 35.rpg and 3.3 apg. Everyone else will be back, and they have a top-flight recruit coming in at point in Garret, Jr..

GTown - if Porter comes back, they lose nobody, and they have a couple of good recruits coming in. Plus, I don't know if Whittington (spelling?) is still in school and might regain his eligibility.

Providence loses Council (33.7 mpg, 10.5 ppg, and 6.8 apg), but they will get Ledo, and they havea pretty highly-regarded recruit coming in as well.

Seton Hall loses Cosby even though he's not a senior. I don't recall why, but he's not coming back.

St. John's could have everyone back, and they will also get God'sgift back and Sanchez, who is supposed to be a potential NBA player, will be eligible as well. The Johnnies could be very strong. Of course, someone might leave (Harrison? Sampson?).

Nova loses Yarou, who averaged 9.9 ppg and 7.8 rpg. Sutton also leaves, but he averaged only 9.5 mpg.

Butler loses Clark and Smith, their two top scorers (and top rebounder). They should take a definite step down, but they still have some solid talent.

Creighton loses Echenique, who, surprisingly, averaged only 22.9 mpg. But in that rather limited time he averaged 9.7 ppg and 6.6 rpg. Of course, if McDermott leaves, that's a whole different story.

Xavier loses their #6 and #7 players in terms of mpg and return the top five. Redford averaged 23.0 mpg, 7.6 ppg, and shot 96% from the line and 45% from behind the arc. Robinson averaged 24.8 mpg, 6.8 ppg, and 4.8 rpg. But Xavier should be better next year.

All in all, including Junior and Trent, the league might lose only 11 players that averaged over 20 mpg and only four who averaged double-digit ppg (Council, Cosby, Clark, and Smith).

I see SHU in the basement next year, but every other team could be very solid.

MayorBeluga
04-01-2013, 07:01 AM
DePaul and St. John's return Purnell & Lavin, respectively, so don't count on major improvements.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Porter is for sure gone, no way he stays. Also don't forget that we are over one scholarship so we will lose one more player too. That said overall we should have a fairly strong league next year.

IrwinFletcher
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
In spite of all this, I think we will be favored (along with Georgetown if Porter returns) to win the league.

Definitely some depth and real good teams, but we lost glue guys. Vander, Jamil and Gardner all coming back, plus some real solid talent coming in. And don't forget Taylor.

MU_Iceman
04-01-2013, 08:04 AM
I will be incredibly disappointed(and shocked), barring some unforseen major injury, if MU doesn't win the BE next year.

MU/Panther
04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
DePaul and St. John's return Purnell & Lavin, respectively, so don't count on major improvements. Why are you down on Steve Lavin?

CaribouJim
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Seton Hall loses Cosby even though he's not a senior. I don't recall why, but he's not coming back.

Pretty sure he is transferring - school TBD - at least I recall reading something about him leaving a week or so ago.

dw3dw3dw3
04-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Anyone know if the record books from the old BEast remain or are we starting from scratch with everything?

mufan2003
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Otto Porter is an NBA lottery pick, he is gone.

Nukem2
04-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Why are you down on Steve Lavin?Not the Mayor here, but Lavin has a bad rep from his UCLA day. Was characterized as a great recruiter but a lousy coach who was disinterested in defense. His record at UCLA pretty much affirms that. He has had a better staff at SJU though.

bleedbluegold03
04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes, I would actually go in the opposite direction and say we should be favored in every single game next year outside of maybe @GTown, @Nova and maybe @Butler

I fully anticipate us to be preseason #1 and a top 10 team in the polls - as we should be - and we have 3 players that could contend for 1st team All NBE and a POY candidate.

Buzz is going to have to reinvent himself yet again. Assuming my predictions become a reality, he no longer will be able to draw strength from the "underdog"/"chip on the shoulder" point of view he's motivated his team with the last few years.

I am now next to MUBasketball, Iceman, etc in saying any loss at home next year and moving forward (taking into consideration "down years") is an upset and a disappointment in my eyes. We no longer have the squads - ville and cuse - that are consistently more talented than us. the time is now for us to take over

warriorfan4life
04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Yes, I would actually go in the opposite direction and say we should be favored in every single game next year outside of maybe @GTown, @Nova and maybe @Butler

I fully anticipate us to be preseason #1 and a top 10 team in the polls - as we should be - and we have 3 players that could contend for 1st team All NBE and a POY candidate.

Buzz is going to have to reinvent himself yet again. Assuming my predictions become a reality, he no longer will be able to draw strength from the "underdog"/"chip on the shoulder" point of view he's motivated his team with the last few years.

I am now next to MUBasketball, Iceman, etc in saying any loss at home next year and moving forward (taking into consideration "down years") is an upset and a disappointment in my eyes. We no longer have the squads - ville and cuse - that are consistently more talented than us. the time is now for us to take over

If Porter stays, G-Town would be a slight favorite over us. If Porter goes as expected, we should be the favorite and have every opportunity to win the league at 14-4, 15-3. I think the new league should get 5-6 teams into the NCAA's, as Xavier, Nova, PC, Johnnies, Butler, and Creighton (think McDermott stays) will all compete for tourney berths to go along with us and Hoyas. Only Seton Hall could potentially embarrass the league out of conference, as DePaul should finally be fairly competitive.

IrwinFletcher
04-01-2013, 04:20 PM
I am in the camp that think that Lavin is so overrated. Great recruiter, but the guys he brings in lack character and wind up transfering or being academic casualites.

DePaul will be better and will benefit from not having to play some of the big dogs. I would expect them to win 6-7 games next year in conference.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Should be a fun league to watch and hopefully we do have a strong first year out of the gates. I hope McDermott stays as I don't think Creighton will be any good next year if he leaves. I'm okay with Porter leaving because I think G'town will be fine without him. Seton Hall will be a mess and I don't know that DePaul will be any good. I do think next year we will easily be the cream of the crop because we return most of our contributors. If we can just improve out 3 pt shooting this offseason we could be very dangerous, and I don't think we need to improve a ton, as long as we are middle of the road and limit how many we take we can be a really good team.

MU/Panther
04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I would like to cut Lavin some slack because he beat cancer in 2011-12.

I agree he better do something good next year. We need MSG filled for the BE tourney.

Markedman
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Mark Miller tweeted that McDermott is likely going pro.