PDA

View Full Version : Most Improved Player?

Phantom Warrior
03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
To me, the most important award a coach - or in this case a fan base - can give is the one for Most Improved Player.

I was thinking about which MU player this year is most deserving of this award. I think there are five potential candidates: Vander, Jamil, Trent, Chris, and Davante. I think a reasonable case could be made for any of the five.

Most Improved Player can be looked at from one year to the next or within a year (Trent, for example).

I assume Vander would be most fans' choice for MVP, and very seldom does the same player earn both awards.

I'm curious which player other posters would pick as this year's MIP and why they'd make that choice.

TheSultan
03-31-2013, 06:51 AM
I'd pick Vander for both.

MUMac
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Interesting question. The time frame is important as it does change how i would view it. I did not see Trent at all last year, so his improvement is from the beginning of the season. From last to this, I would say Vander as he's developed not just on the court, but also as a leader. Chris gets the comeback award and be improved immensely from last to this. Jamil improved, but not enough to overtake Vander. I would include Davante with my comments on Jamil.

I guess i used this post to compile my thoughts. I agree with Sultan, Vander for both.

MUBB713
03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Jamil- He started pretty slow and if this question was asked in December a good case could be made that he actually regressed. It was probably some adjusting to playing the wing more after being forced to play the 5 last year which he really excelled at. He then got back to normal later in the year but his production was really only a small increase from where it was last year numbers wise.

Trent- Really hard to judge this one. You can't really compare last year to this year because the situation's were completely different. I don't think he really improved that much throughout the year and it was more of a case of him finding his role at the right time.

Davante- Another good year for Davante but not the most improved player. Looked in better shape this year but he still needs to learn how to box out better.

Chris- He actually would have been my pick for most improved if I didn't look at the stats from last year. He was on his way to a good year last season too before the injury. He would win the come back player of the year award but I think his ability was similar to last year. If the award was over a career then I'd definitely go with Chris, because he was terrible when he got here I thought. He has since made tremedous strides.

Vander- The team needed a leader and scorer after DJO and Crowder left. Vander answered the call and became the star of the team. Almost doubled his ppg and found his jump shot. He is my pick for Most Improved Player.