PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Part of Today's Loss

Phantom Warrior
03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
If we had played/shot well, even decently, the players would still feel bad about losing, but they would know that they played reasonably well. but that didn't happen, at least on offense.

Vander will remember he went 3 of 15 from the field, Jamil 1 of 9, and Junior 1 of 8. If we had lost 74-70, and each one had had a decent offensive game, the sting of defeat would not be as bitter. It's a real shame.

MUMac
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I am sure you will be there to remind them if they forget.

kneelb4zerg
03-30-2013, 08:13 PM
There's no shame at all in this loss. The reason we shot poorly is because we didn't get enough paint touched and therefore not enough good shots. Getting inside was fruitless because of their length and we couldn't get to the FT line, . Credit to Syracuse. We weren't going to win just shooting over them..

I think I read that Syracuse has held its tourney opponents to 29% shooting. That's ridiculous.

Phantom Warrior
03-30-2013, 08:34 PM
No I won't. I made that comment because I feel for them. I've seen my own children following a bitter loss. It's already disappointing to lose, especially in a situation like today with a spot in the Final Four on the line. It's even harder if you do not have what you consider a good game, the kind of game you normally have. You feel like you let your teammates down, like you let yourself down, and that sting stays even longer than the sting of defeat.

That was my point. To me that's the roughest part of today's defeat - that the players who have given all they had all year and got us to this point have to feel disappointed in their own performance.

If I remember correctly, you have kids who play at high level in sports. I am sure you know what I am talking about/referring to. I have seen it as a parent and as a coach, andit's hard to watch a kid beat himself/herself up.

I feel for Vander, Jamil, and Junior because I'm sure they are disappointed in their individual performances today. To me that is the worst part of today's loss. I figured you'd get that, but apparently not.

MUMac
03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes, but as a parent, and I hope as a fan, you pick them up and tell them to have short memories and use it in the future when times are tough. They feel bad enough and are kicking themselves. They don't need fans to tell them. I know that the kids will have days like this. It sucks to be in an Elite 8 game with the Final 4 on the cusp. Rubbing salt in the wounds does nothing positive. I am bothered by the tone of the initial post. As a parent and as a fan.

Markedman
03-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Dodds was in the locker room and said it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. I'm listening to Vander right now ...was recorded right after the game and he seems just fine.

I think players move on quicker then fans sometimes......

Phantom Warrior
03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
It wasn't intended to rub salt in their wounds. They already know this. Nothing I said will have any impact on them.

I posted it because I thought some fans might not think about this aspect of what happened today, and I think it's something worth thinking about. If you took offense, there's nothing I can do about that.