PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead

Nukem2
03-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Where will the outside shooting come from? Duane and JaJuan will have to help. Bigger question is who is going to get the big minutes at PG...? I say Vander with Derrick and Duane pitching in. Van needs to hone his PG skills for the NBA and he is probably the best alternative unless Duane comes on fast. Derrick is the Chris Grimm of PGs...love him but he is a black hole on offense. I suspect Dawson will take time to fit in...?

TedBaxter
03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
As I said on the Dodds board, I think Duane Wilson starts at point. If not starting, playing the majority of the minutes at the point.

unclejohn
03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Buzz rarely starts freshmen. We will see how much Derrick improves over the summer.

Markedman
03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
He rarely starts freshmen when he has a better alternative.......Derrick will have to improve a bunch......He could be the token starter like Juan was this year but unless Van is moved to the point my guess is Duane gets the majority of minutes.

Derrick is a role player........Just don't see that changing....If a guy has the capability of making a big jump he shows glimpses of it at some point in 2 years.....

IrwinFletcher
03-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Derrick may start, but I would be very concerned about him playing more than 10 minutes a game. He plays solid de but is no threat offensively. In a guard game, you cannot have the main ball handler be someone the opponent doesn't have to worry about.

And can we please stop the Vander as PG idea. He is not a distributor at all. He does so well with what he is doing as an off guard, why would we want to take him out of something he does well and put him in a role he won't excel at?

The Reptile
03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Folks, you have concerns about Derreck the sophomore. We have yet to see Derreck the junior. Buzz has faith in him and believes he is a leader. I'll trust his opinion more than anyone else's.

Phantom Warrior
03-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Agreed. Vander (Sosa) does not have a point guard's mindset.

Duane will be ready to play 24-25 mpg at point. Mayo played 21 mpg as a freshman despite our having both Vander and DJ-O getting huge mpg at the wings.

The only one I see with a chance to knock him lower in the hierarchy is Dawson, but I'll be surprised if he gets more mpg than Duane.

Derrick is a back-up point guard, plain and simple. He reminds me in some ways of Marcus West - solid on defense, doesn't turn the ball over on offense, but never expect any points from him. Since the start of conference play, Derrick shot 3 of 29 from the field - that's 10.3%! That's not bad; that's unbelievable. I seriously doubt there is another guard in the country in any high major program who played even close to the number of minutes Derrick did (about 13 jmpg) who shot 10% from the field.

Not only is Duane a scorer, but he is also a shooter. And on top of that he is a creator. Davante and Chris (if he's back) will definitely benefit from his passing ability.

MUMac
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
For those that say Buzz does not start a Frosh, I agree, he has not. That, though, does not mean he will not. He has started Sophomores that transferred in. The reason he has not started a Frosh is that 1. the position available did not match the skill set and 2. there was not a frosh ready to start. I would say a guard/wing is in a better position to start than a 4 or 5. So, what is the body of work to compare? There is none. I agree with Ted. Duane starts from day 1.

Nukem2
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Whether or not he starts, Duane probably will get a lot of minutes. Can't have a PG playing heavy minutes with zero offense. In the 18 BE/BET/NCAA games, Derrick played 276 minutes and scored 27 points on 3 of 27 from the field and 4 of 11 from the line with 30 assists. I'll say Derrick starts for much of the non-conference season as Duane gets acclimated with minutes gradually going from Derrick to Duane. The big caveat, of course, is defense and limiting TOs. Derrick has a huge head start on that count.

CaribouJim
03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
As I said on the Dodds board, I think Duane Wilson starts at point. If not starting, playing the majority of the minutes at the point.

Agree - regardless if he is a frosh, if he can play, he'll play, especially if can penetrate against the zone and dish.

IWB
04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
How much time he or any of the freshmen play will all come down to their ability to defend.

KMWTRUCKS
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I like Derrick W, but for being such a good defender he gets called for Hand checks way to much. He needs to really cut this down. He is never going to be a good shooter, his mechanics are just not very good so he has to be a lock down defender.

BLT
04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Didn't Vander start games as a freshman?

TheSultan
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Didn't Vander start games as a freshman?

I don't think so.

I think the starting line up was generally DJO, Butler, Buycks, Otule and Erik Williams.

MUMac
04-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't think so.

I think the starting line up was generally DJO, Butler, Buycks, Otule and Erik Williams.

According to the official season statistics, Vander played in 37 games (all of them) and started 12 (averaging 19 minutes per game). Eric Williams played in 34 and started 11. As an aside, a freshman that year started 5 other games. Who was he, without looking it up?

KMWTRUCKS
04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
The point guard from Chicago that is on his 3rd school. Reggie smith

MUMac
04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Correct. Started 5 of 8 games he played.