PDA

View Full Version : Why is UCLA Considered a Marquee Job?

Goose85
03-28-2013, 01:54 PM
What do most people think makes certain jobs destination jobs, or marquee jobs in basketball?

Basketball is not like football, in that a couple boosters can really put a VCU on the same level as UCLA or Minn finanically, where it would take far more money to do the same for football.

For Example - UCLA v. VCU

UCLA has incredible hoops history, is in LA, and is in the Pac 12. Sounds like the top destination for a college basketball coach.

Question - is VCU a better job if donors to the program are willing to make sure the head coach is paid more / assistants are paid more / team travels charter / team has better practice facility /etc? What outweighs the history that UCLA has that leads coaches to not be interested?

When Big 10 schools like Illinois and Min can't get a guy from VCU or Butler, have coaches like Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens shown that a few boosters funding a basketball program can make non football schools like VCU a better job than some Big 10 / Pac 12 basketball jobs as long as money / facilities / etc is there?

Unlike football where big money bowl games are an exclusive party, a right that is not necessarily always earned. In college hoops every school has a real chance to earn the same NCAA tournament money if they play winning basketball.

So if VCU pays more to their coaches, travels better (charter), has better practice facilities, good student athlete housing, and has access to the NCAA tourney just like UCLA, why is UCLA better? Is it just because John Wooden and the city of Los Angeles?

MUMac
03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I think a program becomes a destination job on various factors. 1 is longevity of success. A second is that there was a history of a coach there for a long period of time. When you get young coaches in their first or second job, they are likely to look to move more quickly. If you attract a more seasoned coach (see Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan), they are likely to stay.

As for marquee, that as well is by longevity of success. I would include, a talent rich area (Indiana) does not hurt, but that is not required (Kansas). With a longevity of success, commitment from the administration to the coach/program, and a recent success it becomes easy to recruit to that school.

The Reptile
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
There has been a lot of talk on ESPN radio today saying that it isn't a great job any longer. I would agree but I hate being in agreement with ESPN's spin.

IWB
03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but Indiana wasn't a great job when Crean took it over. He started with one scholarship players and two guys he brought over from the baseball team. 5 years later and they are ranked #1 in the nation (at various points in the year). UCLA isn't as down as Indiana was. UCLA has been to 3 Final Fours in the last 10 years. Despite what they think, they are not "down".

warriorfan4life
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but Indiana wasn't a great job when Crean took it over. He started with one scholarship players and two guys he brought over from the baseball team. 5 years later and they are ranked #1 in the nation (at various points in the year). UCLA isn't as down as Indiana was. UCLA has been to 3 Final Fours in the last 10 years. Despite what they think, they are not "down".

UCLA will not be at nuclear winter like when Crean came in at Indiana, but they could have a roster of Norman Powell, The Wear Twins, and a bunch of unknowns if Anderson goes pro and Adams/Parker transfer (a real possibility if Korey McCray is not brought back as an assistant). I actually think Lo Romar could do an awesome job at UCLA and needs a fresh start after stalling out at Washington.

IrwinFletcher
03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Illinois is a great example of what AD's should look for. They went after the hot names to replace Bruce Weber and looked foolish. They then got some guy few heard of, he worked his tail off, had some success and now everyone loves him.

Sometimes, the "big name" isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

IWB
03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Agree, nothing was like Indiana (ask me about the details someday). Romar would be a good hire, I also think the right pro coach would be good too. Need a huge hire. Still can't believe they won the conference title and only averaged 7,000 fans per game.

The Reptile
03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Forget about attendance. They won the conference and still fired the coach. Some reward and something that another coach should take as a warning.

warriorfan4life
03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Agree, nothing was like Indiana (ask me about the details someday). Romar would be a good hire, I also think the right pro coach would be good too. Need a huge hire. Still can't believe they won the conference title and only averaged 7,000 fans per game.

Actually think Andy Enfield would also kill it there. The Dunk City style of play (and supermodel wife cheering them on) in L.A. could lock down the west coast real quick.

MUMac
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Forget about attendance. They won the conference and still fired the coach. Some reward and something that another coach should take as a warning.

Did he get to hang the banner before he was fired?

The fact they fired him after 3 Final 4's, this year winning the conference title and the interference of the alums - especially like Walton - are why I would stay away from that job if I were a coach.