PDA

View Full Version : Jerel signs 10 day contract - IWB to join his posse

Hamostradamus
03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-signs-jerel-mcneal-10-day-contract

Goose85
03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Way to go Jerel. Sometimes you just need a shot, and Utah worked out pretty well for Wes.

Enjoy Salt Lake City IWB.

farmerdoc
03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Congrats to Jerel. Another Warrior in the league!

IWB
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
My dream of being in a posse stays alive!

CaribouJim
03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
My dream of being in a posse stays alive!

I've got an opening in my posse IWB if you are interested - not often that there is an opening.

So that '08-'09 team had 4 guys that went on to have at least a cup of coffee in the NBA although not at the same time. Wesley, Jerel, Zar and Jimmy. Is that the most MU has had on the same roster since Al? Boy, if only DJ didn't break his foot - factoring out my bias as best I can, I would not have been shocked if MU made a FF run that year. Perfect blend of talent and experience.

IWB
03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
For those that don't know the story.....

MU players were in The AL (can't remember what they were doing) and Jerel's dad and brother were sitting upstairs. This was prior to Jerel's junior year. They asked me who a guy walking around was, and I said that was the center they were recruiting (McFarland? Ben Eze?). They didn't seem phased, so I said, "That is who you need for next year!" They still seemed unphased. I said, "Oh, I get it - you want the NBA after this year so you don't care what happens." They laughed and nodded their heads.

So I said, "Ok, here's the deal - if Jerel makes it to the NBA, you let me become the first white member of his posse under the condition that I pay my own way."

They were dying, but both agreed. His dad even stood up and shook on it.

Well, later there was media day. I get Jerel on camera, and he was always nervous knowing that I was going to ask some off the wall question (see Fitz). So I say, "Jerel, I have an agreement with your dad and brother..." (he turns his head away, trying not to laugh, but scared as hell of what I say next) and I drop the agreement on him.

He loved it, gave a great fake-serious response and it was good.

At the end of the year he tested the NBA waters. When he decided to stay in school, he had a presser. All of the tv, radio, print & internet reporters were there - packed media room. As the presser was winding down, I clear my throat. Jerel, lowers his head in the same fashion, thinking, "Oh sh*t, no...."

"Jerel, did you take our situation into consideration when making your decision?"

Every head in the room turned to me as if to say, "whaaaaat?"

Jerel, as straight faced and serious as could be, said, "Most definitely. I thought about how it would affect both of us and made the decision that I thought would be best for both of us in the long run." He could not have looked more serious. It was awesome.

CaribouJim
03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Have you still kept in contact with him? I often, and pathetically, catch an NBDL game and seemingly every other game Jerel is playing. Lot of high draft picks going up and down from the NBA the past couple years, this year especially.

IWB
03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Yes - I am in touch with him from time to time. I always get a nice greeting when I run into former players, but Jerel always seems like he is excited to see me. A really good guy that I got along with really well while he was at MU.