PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's relationship to his players

TulsaWarrior
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
This is from an Associated Press story. "Me and Coach Buzz, we have a really different type of relationship," Blue said. "He's not just my coach. He's more like a mentor, a father, somebody that I can just come to about anything. Anything I need I know he's there for me."

Anyone else have insight into what they players past and present feel about Buzz?

IWB
03-27-2013, 12:56 PM
This is from an Associated Press story. "Me and Coach Buzz, we have a really different type of relationship," Blue said. "He's not just my coach. He's more like a mentor, a father, somebody that I can just come to about anything. Anything I need I know he's there for me."

Anyone else have insight into what they players past and present feel about Buzz?

Yes, yes I do. The former players, including those that did not play for him, LOVE BUZZ. One of the first things he did when he was named head coach was work to get more former players involved with working the summer camps, and with that, he worked at getting them paid fairly well. Former players used to work the camps because thats just what you did, now players look forward to working the camps and they are all strong supporters of Buzz. I can tell you that when the "Buzz to....." rumors started floating, the first calls I got were from former players that were concerned.

Current players would step in front of a bullet for Buzz, there is no doubt in my mind.

One reason why Buzz has such a strong connection to some of these guys is that there are quite a few from broken homes - no father, raised by mom etc. Buzz becomes that father figure. They look to him, trust him and love him. I have been in the locker room after a gut wrenching, heartbreaking loss and witnessed Buzz go from player to player telling each one, "I love you." I have seen it at the end of boot camp and I have also seen players get it in a text message.

Buzz loves these kids as if they were his own, and they love him back just the same.

TedBaxter
03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure if you want to elaborate here IWB about Tyshawn Taylor's relationship with Buzz even though Tyshawn ended up at Kansas. That's another interesting one.

IWB
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, I don't know how much detail I should get into, but Buzz was the lead recruiter on Taylor's recruitment. He got very close to Tyshawn and his mom. When he committed to MU, she had said that she was allowing Tyshawn to commit to Marquette because, "I trust you with my son coach Buzz". From committing, through signing day, she called Buzz every week.

Well, Crean left, all hell broke loose and he backed out and headed for Kansas. After that, she still called Buzz every week. Tyshawn and his mom have a great amount of respect for Buzz.

TulsaWarrior
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I've covered Bill Self from the time he was head coach at Oral Roberts through his days at Tulsa. Self is clearly a good coach but I believe Tyshawn would have matured as a person and player quicker and with a higher ceiling under Buzz's guidance. No knock against Bill.

mufansince72
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
So how do we get this point across to the administration that it appears is making Buzz's life miserable? Do we need to start a letter writing campaign again? Do the boosters know what is going on?

TedBaxter
03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, Crean left, all hell broke loose and he backed out and headed for Kansas. After that, she still called Buzz every week. Tyshawn and his mom have a great amount of respect for Buzz.

The one thing I'll remember was when MU played in that early season tournament game in Kansas City. After MU played they showed Buzz watching the next game in his seat and here comes Tyshawn down to say hi to Buzz. Kansas wasn't playing, but he drove over from Lawrence to watch the tournament and I assume to see Marquette play and it appeared that Buzz didn't expect to see him as Buzz seemed surprised and gave him a big hug.

IrwinFletcher
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Ganzer, "IWB";29506]

"One reason why Buzz has such a strong connection to some of these guys is that there are quite a few from broken homes - no father, raised by mom etc. Buzz becomes that father figure. They look to him, trust him and love him. I have been in the locker room after a gut wrenching, heartbreaking loss and witnessed Buzz go from player to player telling each one, "I love you." I have seen it at the end of boot camp and I have also seen players get it in a text message."

I sometimes get the feeling that Buzz is in this business not to win basketball games, not to win a National Championship and not to make a gazillion dollars. I think he is in the coaching business to reach troubled kids and make a difference in their lives to the point they can go on and be successful men, fathers and business people.

I also think this is what may have gotten him in trouble with LW and FP. When you take chances on kids that haven't learned respect and responsibility from day 1, who don't have a father figure to teach them right or wrong, who have grown up without any kind of direction, you are going to hit some speed bumps and occasionally drive off the road. Maybe the administration simply sees the off-the-court issues from the past season and aren't seeing the "big picture" in Buzz's plan. Doesn't make Buzz's plan right or wrong, but that might be what he is thinking.

Again, just my thoughts I gleem from hearing Buzz speak in interviews and post game speeches.