PDA

View Full Version : Other coaches getting extensions

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
@SIPeteThamel: Sorry, UCLA. VCU is working on an contract extension to keep Shaka Smart. Should have an agreement soon.

@GaryParrishCBS: Asked if he's agreed in principle to a new contract with Memphis, Josh Pastner told @CBSSports, "That is accurate."

Both Pastner and Smart have been mentioned with the two open LA jobs, now it appears they are off the board. I hope as soon as the final buzzer goes off on our final game that MU will announce an extension with Buzz... I just keep praying.

TheSultan
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Buzz is also still coaching while those other two aren't.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
That's why I said as soon as our final game finishes I hope the university is preparing to offer an extension. No reason they can't be prepared, to me that would be a bonus and I think Buzz would appreciate that, it looks poor if the season ends and they wait two weeks to discuss an extension when it's being widely reported that other schools are interested.

TheSultan
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
That's why I said as soon as our final game finishes I hope the university is preparing to offer an extension. No reason they can't be prepared, to me that would be a bonus and I think Buzz would appreciate that, it looks poor if the season ends and they wait two weeks to discuss an extension when it's being widely reported that other schools are interested.

What happens, happens. Enjoy being a fan on Thursday. No reason to worry about something you can't control.

farmerdoc
03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
What happens, happens. Enjoy being a fan on Thursday. No reason to worry about something you can't control.

Sorry, but that is cr*p. As fans, alumni, etc... we have every right to expect that the University do the right thing. If they seem to not value BW's contributions to the same extent that many of us do, then they to will have to deal with "what happens, happens". My confidence in the current administration is not high. While they appear to have done a great job with getting the new conference established, letting go, or not working hard enough to keep arguably the best coach MU has seen since Al, would tarnish their legacy for a very long time.

Bocephys
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Buzz gets a one year extension every year as a part of his rolling contract. He's always under contract for 6 years at any given time I believe.

pbiflyer
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Buzz gets a one year extension every year as a part of his rolling contract. He's always under contract for 6 years at any given time I believe.

At only an incremental raise.

Bocephys
03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
At only an incremental raise.

How much more money can we possibly pay him? He's collecting $2.8ish and hasn't been to a Final Four yet. We're already paying him what he's worth IMO.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-26-2013, 05:17 PM
He is not collecting $2.8 mill per year, last year he made $1.7 million. The year before that he got a one time bonus that brought him to $2.8 million, but he does not get that every year.

http://m.jsonline.com/more/sports/blogs/154187205.html#continue_reading

IWB
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Exactly Buzz4Pres, that is what I have been trying to tell people. His top 5-10 paid assumption is all based off of one single retention bonus.

His base still seems fair, so what they need to do is give him another retention bonus. The question is, will it be worth it for him to stay?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-26-2013, 05:31 PM
I say bump his base to $2 million (we are getting a bump in TV revenue so $300k isn't going to kill us) and give him a one time bonus of $1 million to bump him to $3 million for next year. The guy is worth every penny and with who we have returning and who we have coming in we are on the cusp of great things.

TheSultan
03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Sorry, but that is cr*p. As fans, alumni, etc... we have every right to expect that the University do the right thing. If they seem to not value BW's contributions to the same extent that many of us do, then they to will have to deal with "what happens, happens". My confidence in the current administration is not high. While they appear to have done a great job with getting the new conference established, letting go, or not working hard enough to keep arguably the best coach MU has seen since Al, would tarnish their legacy for a very long time.

How do you know what they are doing? How do you know how hard they are working? What is Buzz doing? How hard is he working...after all commitment is a two way street?

Do you know the answers to any of these?

IWB
03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
How do you know what they are doing? How do you know how hard they are working? What is Buzz doing? How hard is he working...after all commitment is a two way street?

Obviously none of us know how hard the administration is working, with all that goes into building a new conference, I imagine they are working very hard.

But I honestly can't believe you are even suggesting or questioning how hard Buzz Williams is working. He has a team with average talent in the Sweet 16. He has a top 10 recruiting class coming in. How hard is he working? They guy has been gaining weight and he says it is because he has been too busy to eat right. The guy is pretty much living at the AL McGuire Center around the clock, working with players, coaches, watching film, talking to other coaches in his network for feedback, talking to recruits...... the guy works harder than Crean did, and Crean was a work-aholic!

MUMac
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Obviously none of us know how hard the administration is working, with all that goes into building a new conference, I imagine they are working very hard.

But I honestly can't believe you are even suggesting or questioning how hard Buzz Williams is working. He has a team with average talent in the Sweet 16. He has a top 10 recruiting class coming in. How hard is he working? They guy has been gaining weight and he says it is because he has been too busy to eat right. The guy is pretty much living at the AL McGuire Center around the clock, working with players, coaches, watching film, talking to other coaches in his network for feedback, talking to recruits...... the guy works harder than Crean did, and Crean was a work-aholic!

I took Sultan's comment to be more about "the relationship". How hard is each side working at the relationship side between the administration/AD and Buzz. Not how hard either are working as it pertains to their job.

TheSultan
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
I took Sultan's comment to be more about "the relationship". How hard is each side working at the relationship side between the administration/AD and Buzz. Not how hard either are working as it pertains to their job.

That's exactly what I meant...thanks Mac.

IWB
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Sorry - I misunderstood. And will now respond by agreeing with Buzz4pres.

ValiantSailor
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
So many, including the entire media, seem to focus on salary as the sole criterion for Buzz' stay/leave decision. While compensation does play a part, I'd be surprised if it plays as much a part as most of you are thinking. As an example, I'd guess family - his own plus the BB family entrusted to Buzz - plays a MUCH bigger role than the prospect of a $300K raise.

VS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
I actually have seen very few media members bring up salary, I see them referencing Buzz's relationship with Larry first and foremost. That said its about more than the money, it's showing you want him. By giving that raise and bonus you show buzz that you want him.

ValiantSailor
03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
By giving that raise and bonus you show buzz that you want him.

My point is that may be the least effective way to reach Buzz. I don't think he puts as much value on money as you think.

VS

Nukem2
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
My point is that may be the least effective way to reach Buzz. I don't think he puts as much value on money as you think.

VS
Yep, more about family and relationships.

farmerdoc
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Sultan,

No I do not. But I would expect that an administration that truly understands what they have in a coach like Buzz, would make more public overtures regarding his tenure and their desire to prolong it. Judging from what many people have said over the last year, if this administration does not know the level of support Buzz has, then they must have blinders on.

I would think that the administration would want to reassure the season ticket holders and other fans that they are doing everything possible to keep Coach Williams and his incredible record of success here at Marquette.

Or do they really want him here at all?