PDA

View Full Version : Miami Is Scary

Phantom Warrior
03-26-2013, 04:15 AM
The more I learn about the Hurricanes, the more I realize this is one scary team to play. They remind me in many ways of both Louisville and Florida with their combination of size/length up front, quickness and skill at the point, and solid perimeter shooting.

I expected both Davidson and Butler to be tough opponents, and I anticipated both games would be nail-biters. In both cases I felt we had better than a 50-50 chance to win, and I never thought, not for an instant, there was the possibility of being blown out.

But I think that's a real possibility against Miami. I will never count Buzz or this year's team out of any game, and I definitely admit I under-estimated what this year's group could/would accomplish.

In our last two Sweet 16 appearances, we were over-matched against UNC and Florida. Both teams killed us with their combination of size/athleticism up front and skilled guards in the backcourt. On paper, that's how this Sweet 16 game looks as well.

We have to play at least what amounts to our A minus game on Thursday to have any chance of pulling the upset. I think it's possible. We'll see.

Whatever happens, I figure we are playing with house money. I know Buzz and the players are not and won't be satisfied with making it to the Sweet 16, but this year has already been a tremendous success. Thursday is frosting on the cake.

pbiflyer
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
I was at Austin and watched the Canes. While they are big and long, they did not appear to be particularly athletic or quick, with Larkin being the exception. (How did DePaul originally land him?).
They also did not appear to have a high BB IQ.
That being said, they are going to make our bigs look little.

ge1974
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Scary but beatable, if we play well and attack, attack, attack!.

MUfan12
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
They're not terribly physical, despite their size. They don't turn teams over like UL does.

Beat em up, throw some different looks at Larkin, and wear them down with depth. If MU can do that, they'll have a chance.

MU_Iceman
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Scary but beatable, if we play well and attack, attack, attack!.

If Illinois a predominate 3 point shooting team abused them going to the hole (and they did), think of what MU will do to them.

GOMU1104
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
It's the Sweet 16. Nobody has it easy.

-No unforced turnovers.
-Get into the lane.
-Make the free throws.

Do those things well, and we have a good chance.

TheSultan
03-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I think this Miami team is athletic, but not up to the level that UNC and Florida were the last two years. They can get on a roll however, and when that happens they can be really difficult to guard.

TedBaxter
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Larkin is the one who scares me as he can shoot, penetrate and pass. Didn't his uncle Byron use to kill MU when he was at Xavier?

CaribouJim
03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Larkin is the one who scares me as he can shoot, penetrate and pass. Didn't his uncle Byron use to kill MU when he was at Xavier?

Wasn't it back in '98 or thereabouts where they almost and should have beat Duke in the tourney and he was going crazy in that game?

As far as the Miami Larkin, I think you'll see a lot of D. Wilson on Thursday to keep a fresh body on him and spread out the fouls.

TedBaxter
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I looked it up and Byron Larkin was a two time conference player of the year in the MCC and three time conference tournament MVP and he played when Dukiet was coaching MU. Late 80's. Everybody killed MU back then.

CaribouJim
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
I looked it up and Byron Larkin was a two time conference player of the year in the MCC and three time conference tournament MVP and he played when Dukiet was coaching MU. Late 80's. Everybody killed MU back then.

So I was only off by a decade then - ouch. Didn't seem that long ago that he was playing.