PDA

View Full Version : This is the kind of thing I hope Buzz shows the team

MU_Iceman
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
ESPN reseeds the field and MU is 16th.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2013/story/_/page/expertMedcalf130325/2013-ncaa-tournament-how-selection-committee-reseed-sweet-16 (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2013/story/_/page/expertMedcalf130325/2013-ncaa-tournament-how-selection-committee-reseed-sweet-16)

Mark Miller
03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I might put Marquette ahead of LaSalle, Wichita State and Florida Gulf Coast, but not above the others, based on talent. Buzz has achieved so much more than I anticipated with this group. It's been a remarkable season already with a Big East title and Sweet 16 spot.

mutpm
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Based on how each team has played in the NCAA tournament, that's not an unfair ranking. You could argue a spot or 2, but MU has definitely not been one of the top 10 teams in the tournament so far of those that remain.

farmerdoc
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure that the point is that we are underseeded. Moreso that this can be good bulletin board material to help motivate the team and cement their underdog status.

Markedman
03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I think any team that needs bulletin board material from ESPN at this point in the season has already lost.....

11 of the top 15 teams in the pomeroy rankings have made the sweet 16.......MU ranked ahead of only 3 of them....FGC, La Salle, Oregon

Every year their are always a couple of obvious outliers....UW is typically 1 of them.......This year Pitt screams out as another along with Virginia, MN and I guess you could say Gonzaga since I don't think they were top 6good...maybe top 15.

http://kenpom.com/

farmerdoc
03-25-2013, 04:46 PM
I understand your point Markedman, but these are college kids, and being "disrespected" can put a big chip on their shoulders, and I think this team plays better when they are the underdog, and this reseeding emphasizes this role for this team. Really, we are worse that FGCU? La Salle? Oregon? We were the co champs of the Big East for crying out loud.

This may be a bit like Buzz being upset about people always talking about how "hard" MU plays, as if we do not have any talent.

Not sure it does any harm for our guys to feel a stronger sense of motivation.

Markedman
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm not saying that Buzz won't use it(or shouldn't)....but I doubt it makes one bit of difference ....they have dealt with this all year.....that chip is already firmly attached to the teams shoulders......If we beat Miami it won't becasue of this article...it will be because we played better or played just as well and got a few breaks...

Every team left is super motivated.....they all want it bad.....I don't think we beat Butler or Davidson because we wanted it more....I think we were just a little bit better.....hopefully we will be again on thursday...

IWB
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
One thing MU really has going for them is that they know how to win close games. That is huge in the tourney.

farmerdoc
03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm not saying that Buzz won't use it(or shouldn't)....but I doubt it makes one bit of difference ....they have dealt with this all year.....that chip is already firmly attached to the teams shoulders......If we beat Miami it won't becasue of this article...it will be because we played better or played just as well and got a few breaks...

Every team left is super motivated.....they all want it bad.....I don't think we beat Butler or Davidson because we wanted it more....I think we were just a little bit better.....hopefully we will be again on thursday...

Agreed. Just think coaches like to look for little things that will give them an edge. Any port in a storm, so to speak.

This team has a sense of purpose and unity that is impressive to me. An article that brings them closer together cannot hurt their chances IMO.

Even the pro's use bulletin board material regularly. Not that they should need motivation being paid to play, but clearly coaches think these things are useful, even if they are only a small part of the outcome in the end.

Markedman
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Ok I have to say this

After watching the post game press conference I had to laugh....Somebody brings up the reseeding thing......"Buzz says...."Yeah 16 out of 16.....The guys name was Myron Metcalf who wrote it" Buzz then looks at Trent and says "He's from Trent's home town"....Trent mumbles under his breath loud enough to hear..."Sure is....." lol

So I have no idea if it made a difference but I thought the reaction by Buzz and Trent was priceless.......;)

IWB
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
These guys were all aware of it as they mentioned it on Tuesday. Last night? Buzz said, "By Saturday morning we will be seeded 8th."

Markedman
03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
I loved Trent's reaction.....it was just classic....

Gato78
03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Myron is also originally from Milwaukee.

Ok I have to say this

After watching the post game press conference I had to laugh....Somebody brings up the reseeding thing......"Buzz says...."Yeah 16 out of 16.....The guys name was Myron Metcalf who wrote it" Buzz then looks at Trent and says "He's from Trent's home town"....Trent mumbles under his breath loud enough to hear..."Sure is....." lol

So I have no idea if it made a difference but I thought the reaction by Buzz and Trent was priceless.......;)

Djgoldnboy
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok I have to say this

Ha, glad you mention that because I got a chuckle out of it too, and then when Buzz said by Sat they'll be 8th.