PDA

View Full Version : Great game story from Doyel

MU_Iceman
03-23-2013, 11:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21938441/write-this-story-marquette-bettered-butler-in-the-ncaa-tournament

And by the way, he is right about Buzz in the presser. I listened to it, and let me just say...it was odd, very odd. Buzz went on a tangent about reporters, then railed on the NCAA about it being about money. Just really bizarre.

Markedman
03-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Yep well done Doyel again.....

Buzz is Buzz but he tends to try and make fights where none exist.....Just relax and enjoy the moment......

MUMac
03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
I am completely speculating, but part of it is the travel/rules. He mentioned the money the NCAA makes, but they can't go to the hotel. They have to go home. It's after 11 and they just had two emotional games, but have to head for the airport and fly out. Then when he asked about the time of the game, and no one knew, he had the same type of feeling. All for money and TV.

Again, pure speculation, but that is how I read it.

The Reptile
03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I am completely speculating, but part of it is the travel/rules. He mentioned the money the NCAA makes, but they can't go to the hotel. They have to go home. It's after 11 and they just had two emotional games, but have to head for the airport and fly out. Then when he asked about the time of the game, and no one knew, he had the same type of feeling. All for money and TV.

Again, pure speculation, but that is how I read it.

I have the same opinion.

JDubMU
03-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Did anyone else understand his comments when he said he didn't want to be in the tourney any longer but wanted to win the next game in the tourney. Confusing for sure.

warriorfan4life
03-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Did anyone else understand his comments when he said he didn't want to be in the tourney any longer but wanted to win the next game in the tourney. Confusing for sure.

Just getting to the tourney is no longer good enough. You want to win games and make runs.

JDubMU
03-24-2013, 12:33 AM
I must have equated it to his being pissed at the NCAA. Hopefully he is just worn out. He has been to hell and back this weekend. Prayers to his wife and family.

MUMac
03-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Just getting to the tourney is no longer good enough. You want to win games and make runs.

Yeah, that is the way I took that as well. He said at one point in his comments about God's test, that they haven't passed that one yet - I believe he meant they have not yet gone beyond the Sweet 16. He is not satisfied getting to the Sweet 16, he wants more.

IWB
03-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Yeah, woke up this morning to an email from MU at 11:42 last night inviting media and fans to welcome the team back at 1:30am

JDubMU
03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Dont worry Jim, Im sure Wickett had it covered.

TulsaWarrior
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Buzz is an intense guy if you hadn't noticed. His wife (an anchor in his life) goes through an emergency hospital trip and operation in the middle of the night. He coaches two masterful games against two of the best coaches in the business. Nail biter victories for a team that has little rrom for error. Now it's late Saturday night and he is in a city a thousand miles from home. He has his two young boys and his wife is still recovering from surgery. How many of us wouldn't be a touch edgy? A hamburger and a good night of sleep at a hotel is not an unfair thought.

I was a journalist most of my life and completely understand the comments about the difference between serious journalists and some people who populate the Blogosphere who pass themselves off as journalists.

Buzz's news conference sure beats coachspeak bs or the lack of respect Bobby Knight showed for journalists over the years. Marquette has an original.

TheSultan
03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Buzz's news conference sure beats coachspeak bs or the lack of respect Bobby Knight showed for journalist over the years. Marquette has an original.

Or Bo's surly chats with the sideline reporter at halftime.

MUAlphaBangura
03-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that is the way I took that as well. He said at one point in his comments about God's test, that they haven't passed that one yet - I believe he meant they have not yet gone beyond the Sweet 16. He is not satisfied getting to the Sweet 16, he wants more.

I remember Buzz saying that way back in October at Marquette Madness. Said two straight sweet 16's were not enough. They wanted more. Obviously, that is/was one of their goals for the season. I hope they didn't put a ceiling on those goals!

lj854
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah, woke up this morning to an email from MU at 11:42 last night inviting media and fans to welcome the team back at 1:30am

I went with a few friends. Team arrived around 2am. Probably about 100 people total, mostly students. Fox 6 and WISN had cameras there but no media personalities. Looks like the interns drew this assignment.

IWB
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
There usually isn't media talent for these. When they came back from Big East Tourney there were several cameras and radio interns, but Andrew Gruman and I were the only two that asked questions.

There have been times in the past when Broeker was the AD and several cameras were there but no personalities and Broek would approach Doddsy and I and say, 'no media people here, can you guys take all the questions?"