MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Predictions?

milkbone
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
MU favored by 2 pts vs Butler

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I think we get this one, hopefully the guys haven't forgotten about Maui. I ran into Mac in the team hotel and we talked about it, he certainly hasn't forgotten.

TedBaxter
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I think the keys are not to let Clark and Dunham getting good looks and to keep the two athletic forwards off of the offensive glass and not allowing those two to get to the basket off of the dribble. Then there's the offensive side and if MU can make shots.

Gato78
03-22-2013, 08:34 PM
In Maui we kept yelling "he is going to his left". None of our guys responded when everyone knew Jones and the other guy were going left. I hope that has been seared in their memories.

Markedman
03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Jamil had his worst game of the year against Butler IIRC.......need him to be agressive like he has been lately and get the job done defensively against Jones/Marshall.

ge1974
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Looking at box scores, a few things to note:

Butler box yesterday:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330802086

1) Barlow did not play for Butler against MU in the first game. He is now a starter at guard. Yesterday, he had 10 points, 4 steals, 5 rebounds and zero turnovers in 32 minutes.
2) Butler was outstanding at the FT line, 25-28 (89%).
3) Butler only had 5 turnovers against Bucknell, zero by their guards.
4) They had 6 steals total. Two excellent rebounders in Smith and Woods (off the bench)
5) Held Patriot League POY Muscala to 4-17 FG.

Butler MU box score from November:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=323240269

1) Kylee Marshall killed us getting 24 Pts and 9 rebounds.
2) MU had twice as many turnovers as Butler 14 to 7.Our guards had 10 of them (includes Lockett).
3) Butler had a bad FT night hitting 14 of 25 for 56%. Also hit only 19% of their 3's including Clarke's buzzer beater.
4) MU hit 49% FG against Butler

MU box score yesterday:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330800269

1) Our point guards had zero assists (Cadougan and D. Wilson).
2) We outrebounded Davidson 38 to 23.
3) We had nine turnovers. Three were in our first three possessions. Two were when Otule fell down. Only four other turnovers.

Digesting this information; plus what I saw out of Butler a few thoughts:

1) We must take care of the basketball. We cannot "telegraph" passes as we have in the past. If we have a mental lapse, Butler is savvy enough to take advantage. Barlow is a great anticipator of the lazy pass as he stole the ball yesterday on lazy Bucknell passes.
2) Smith is very long but Gardner had a good game against him last time (12 Pts 7 rebs). Get the ball to Davante.
3) Make Clarke go to his left , as much as possible. He can shoot from any angle but is MOST comfortable going to his right.
4) Our point guards must penetrate and get assists. If we get a low number tomorrow, we will not win.
5) Get to the free throw line. Keep Butler off the Ft line, as much as possible.
6) Wear Butler down - get into transition. Butler plays only 7-8 guys.

The above is all easier said than done but just my thoughts on tomorrow's game.

ge1974
03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

1) We must take care of the basketball. We cannot "telegraph" passes as we have in the past. If we have a mental lapse, Butler is savvy enough to take advantage. Barlow is a great anticipator of the lazy pass as he stole the ball yesterday on lazy Bucknell passes. CHECK We did have 15 turnovers but many of these were due to traveling calls . Butler had 15 turnovers, as well.
2) Smith is very long but Gardner had a good game against him last time (12 Pts 7 rebs). Get the ball to Davante. No Check. Gardner and Otule each too only took 4 shots. Part of that was due to Butler doublng down low.
3) Make Clarke go to his left , as much as possible. He can shoot from any angle but is MOST comfortable going to his right. No check for the first half. What took MU so long to figure out Clarke is much, much better going to his right.?CHECK for 2nd half. It's the main reason we won the game, IMO. We stopped Clarke in the second half.
4) Our point guards must penetrate and get assists. If we get a low number tomorrow, we will not win. Uncheck - 1st half. CHECK - Junior did get to the basket in the second half for a couple of buckets but only had two assists.
5) Get to the free throw line. Keep Butler off the Ft line, as much as possible. CHECK - We were 23-27 from the Ft line, they were 13-19.
6) Wear Butler down - get into transition. Butler plays only 7-8 guys. CHECK - I think we wore them down some and that helped down the stretch..

MUAlphaBangura
03-23-2013, 10:44 PM

1) We must take care of the basketball. We cannot "telegraph" passes as we have in the past. If we have a mental lapse, Butler is savvy enough to take advantage. Barlow is a great anticipator of the lazy pass as he stole the ball yesterday on lazy Bucknell passes. CHECK We did have 15 turnovers but many of these were due to traveling calls . Butler had 15 turnovers, as well.
2) Smith is very long but Gardner had a good game against him last time (12 Pts 7 rebs). Get the ball to Davante. No Check. Gardner and Otule each too only took 4 shots. Part of that was due to Butler doublng down low.
3) Make Clarke go to his left , as much as possible. He can shoot from any angle but is MOST comfortable going to his right. No check for the first half. What took MU so long to figure out Clarke is much, much better going to his right.?CHECK for 2nd half. It's the main reason we won the game, IMO. We stopped Clarke in the second half.
4) Our point guards must penetrate and get assists. If we get a low number tomorrow, we will not win. Uncheck - 1st half. CHECK - Junior did get to the basket in the second half for a couple of buckets but only had two assists.
5) Get to the free throw line. Keep Butler off the Ft line, as much as possible. CHECK - We were 23-27 from the Ft line, they were 13-19.
6) Wear Butler down - get into transition. Butler plays only 7-8 guys. CHECK - I think we wore them down some and that helped down the stretch..
6) A lot of front of the rim shots the latter part of the 2nd half. Think we definitely wore them down.

TheSultan
03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
That's why Buzz subs the way he does. Keeps the defense fresh.

Mucrisco
03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
That's why Buzz subs the way he does. Keeps the defense fresh.

I'm glad people are finally starting to realize this.

MUMac
03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm glad people are finally starting to realize this.

I think your explanation yesterday of his reasoning has gone a long way to people understanding.

Mucrisco
03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I think your explanation yesterday of his reasoning has gone a long way to people understanding.

I never thanked you for the kind words in that thread MUMac. Thanks.