PDA

View Full Version : Watching the last minute again...

IrwinFletcher
03-22-2013, 12:43 PM
And you see that on all three of the 3-pointers, Wilson and Blue were heavily guarded. Especially the last two shots, Davidson played really good defense on Wilson and Blue. Simply cannot believe the guys made those shots.

Markedman
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Some people are saying Davidson lost the game more then MU won it.....now I will admit that a ton of things had to go right for MU to pull that out but the only thing you can really criticize Davidson for is the last turnover and the last defensive possession.

MU made tough shots and kept the pressure on them.....so they made one mistake and it ended up costing them.

MU was out shot from both the field and from 3. They won the game at the free throw line (against the best free throw shooting team in the country) and on the boards.

dw3dw3dw3
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I think a couple underrated parts of the final minute are:
A) Thinking what would have happened if on the turnover at 6 seconds, the guy is actually inbounds and taps in to Gardner. I don't think he would have given it up and instead gone 3/4 court, knocked over 4 davidson players and layed it in as time expired.
B) Seeing Gardner turn on the jets for a second after VB scores the game winner, thinking oh **** there's my guy running down the court.

MUWhistler
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Some people are saying Davidson lost the game more then MU won it.....now I will admit that a ton of things had to go right for MU to pull that out but the only thing you can really criticize Davidson for is the last turnover and the last defensive possession.

MU made tough shots and kept the pressure on them.....so they made one mistake and it ended up costing them.

MU was out shot from both the field and from 3. They won the game at the free throw line (against the best free throw shooting team in the country) and on the boards.

That really is a great point. Davidson had an excellent pick and roll to get an easy layup and then hit both free throws on their next possession. So they did exactly what they needed to. We made 3's, so we traded their 2 points for our 3, which helped. The only thing they did wrong was either hold the ball on that last possession and make us foul them, or not throw it out of bounds. They do either of those and they probably win. Instead, we got one last life and took advantage of it.

unclejohn
03-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, with all due respect to Davidson, I am getting a little tired of hearing how they threw it away or we lucked out. I have read some articles talking about how Davidson dominated the whole game except for the last minute. Really? So why was the game tied with ten minutes to go? Actually, we had the lead and the ball just before that, and Jamil missed another gimme. And we missed a lot of gimmees. If we had been able to throw the ball into whatever large body of water is near Lexington, we might well have put them away much earlier.

We hit one more field goal, but we took twelve more shots because we dominated the boards. We won because we were still playing hard down five with forty seconds to go. Hell yeah, it was a great come-back. Davidson played well enough to win, but we played better. We didn't steal it. We earned it.

MUMac
03-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah, with all due respect to Davidson, I am getting a little tired of hearing how they threw it away or we lucked out. I have read some articles talking about how Davidson dominated the whole game except for the last minute. Really? So why was the game tied with ten minutes to go? Actually, we had the lead and the ball just before that, and Jamil missed another gimme. And we missed a lot of gimmees. If we had been able to throw the ball into whatever large body of water is near Lexington, we might well have put them away much earlier.

We hit one more field goal, but we took twelve more shots because we dominated the boards. We won because we were still playing hard down five with forty seconds to go. Hell yeah, it was a great come-back. Davidson played well enough to win, but we played better. We didn't steal it. We earned it.

Well said!