PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries in the NBE

pbiflyer
03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
So, as someone who has gone to several Big East tournaments, I have grown to seriously dislike some teams in the Big East. WVU, Syracuse for sure. I always enjoyed beating USF,a s I have several personal connections. I know some folks really didn't like Slick Rick and Louisville.
But in the new Big East, there really isn't any teams I truly dislike. It seems like this will be a much more friendly league.
Thoughts?

TheSultan
03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Rivalries develop. It will happen.

unclejohn
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
DePaul if they ever get good again is a natural. I think some of the others will develop, as suggested. We have some history with Xavier, including some big games back in the MCC, when they were really good. Butler of course has some potential based on the games this season.

Maybe, and hopefully, the rivalries are a little different in the new BE. More like Marquette-Louisville and less like Syracuse and West Va. Personally, I never developed hatred for DePaul. Too many good games, too much history, too many similar players (frequently, players recruited by both schools. I remember a time when Marquette had more players from the Chicago area and DePaul had more players from Wisconsin.) And family connections and knowing people who went there. More respect and desire to beat them than hatred.

Then there were teams like Cinci when they were on the cover of Sports Illustrated for being thugs. Easy to hate. Syracuse is somewhat similar. Boeheim is a great coach, but a real ass in person. His last press conference at Marquette was about the most obnoxious I have ever seen. Contrast with somebody like Mike Brey. Much as I love to hate the Domers, and won't miss having to hope they win because it is good for the conference, I have always liked Brey. Buzz had kind words for him on the radio this a.m., and he is right. He's always run a clean program, he's a much better coach than people give him credit for, (including the occasional delusional Domer) and he's a perfect gentleman. What's not to like?

Mucrisco
03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
In the first year of the Big East, after our games with them, Pitt easily became a heated rivalry. When we feel slighted, as any passionate fan base often does, we'll figure out who to hate.

IWB
03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
I agree with UJ, I think Xavier will end up being that team.

....or Butler if Saturday doesn't end well.

ge1974
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I am going to go with Creighton. We may play them 3 times next year prior to the Big East Tourney! It could also be Butler, after tomorrow.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
If tomorrow is a close game I could definitely see one developing with Butler.

CaribouJim
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I am going to go with Creighton. We may play them 3 times next year prior to the Big East Tourney! It could also be Butler, after tomorrow.

Is MU in a holiday tourney with them? I'm forgetting what tourney we are in.

IWB
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
DirectTV Classic in Anaheim.

Arizona State, College of Charleston, Creighton, George Washington, Marquette, Miami (FL) and San Diego State. The eighth team will be announced at a later date.

MUMac
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Will the new league change that? Will either Creighton or MU need to switch to a different tournament?

IWB
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
One could opt out, but since the games were previously scheduled, about all they can do is ask the tournament directors to put them on opposite sides of the brackets.

MU/Panther
03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Will the new league change that? Will either Creighton or MU need to switch to a different tournament?

No, that will not change. It's too late in the game. Oklahoma & WVU were both in the Old Spice this season.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Heck Xavier/Butler has a home and home scheduled and they still played it this year. The NCAA has been making exceptions given everything.