PDA

View Full Version : Just curious, why was Creighton invited ahead of SLU...

CaribouJim
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
...to join the new Big East? Did the BE not want to raid 3 teams from the A-10? I can live with Creighton although my choice would have been SLU - just think they have a higher ceiling. Again, just curious.

Nukem2
03-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Well, Creighton has been better than SLU in BB (and, one has to wonder how SLU will fare after this season with its graduation losses ). Also, CU brings a lot to the table re the Minor sports.

wiscwarrior
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
I believe I read that Creighton doesn't need to pay a buy out to leave the MVC and that may have entered into the decision.

The Reptile
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
I believe I read that Creighton doesn't need to pay a buy out to leave the MVC and that may have entered into the decision.

I think that is a big part of it. Creighton also has been a better program over the long haul. Plus, I think that there was a sensitivity to raiding all of the remaining top teams in the A10. Remember, Temple is going to the America 12, we took X & Butler. If we take any two of Dayton, VCU, Richmond and St. Louis then the A10 takes a big hit and we are to blame. Then we get Pot/Kettle comparisons, which still may come.

Mucrisco
03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Marquette influence was probably the biggest reason.

CaribouJim
03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Marquette influence was probably the biggest reason.

Particular reason or reasons as to why? Its probably been posted but I missed it.

Mucrisco
03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I think Creighton's prez is on Marquette's board.

IWB
03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Creighton's president is Fr.Tim Lannon. He was at MU for years on two different occasions. He then left to become president of St. joe's. he was rumored to be the replacement for Fr. Wild, but due to an illness (his mother?) he wanted to be closer to home so he took the Creighton job instead. And yes, I do believe he is on MUs BOT.

bleedbluegold03
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
something I've always given Creighton credit for is there fan support. Being a top 10 attendance fan base in Omaha, Nebraska is something that cannot be overstated.

TheSultan
03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
I think the whole leadership issue with Biondi is a huge problem that SLU is facing too. Their future is a gigantic unknown right now and I think the BE went with a school that is marginally better, but a lot more stable.

Gato78
03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
My guess would be that Fr. Lannon has good relationships with Villanova's leadership from his time at St. Joe's and perhaps the brass at Georgetown. He is a good man with a wonderful personality which may well have been important factors.