milkbone
03-20-2013, 05:44 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2755&t=11391428

pbiflyer
03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
That is pretty darn funny.

TulsaWarrior
03-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Let's hope we don't have Wisconsin fans feeling this way about us Thursday night. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=schadenfreude+definition&revid=1368216482&sa=X&ei=9a9JUeaJG8e9igKLo4DAAw&ved=0CGwQ1QIoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=52cfeb2b632a7fb4&biw=1366&bih=651

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Louisville would take a national championship this year if it means a first round NIT exit next year. When one program has won two national championships since you won your last one, this kind of stuff seems a little silly.

GOMU1104
03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Louisville would take a national championship this year if it means a first round NIT exit next year. When one program has won two national championships since you won your last one, this kind of stuff seems a little silly.

So would I...

MUWhistler
03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
I disagree with you there, Sultan. The issue, and why they deserve to be made fun of so hard, is that there is absolutely no excuse with the talent on that team to A) Not make the NCAA tourney and then even more so B) that they lose in the 1st round to a team like Robert Morris. If their team had been gutted because everyone went pro and they didn't have any talent left, that would be one thing. But they have lots of talent on that team and woefully under-performed. They deserve a good mocking for that!

MU88
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Kentucky it talented, but young. It has freshman and sophs. If this team stayed together for a couple of years, they would be really good. Right now, they were just a very young team, going into a tiny gym full of crazed fans. Kentucky just came off the disappointment of not making the NCAAs, while Robert Morris has the biggest game in school history. As much as people don't care for Cal, I don't think this team underachieved. It takes a very special freshman to dominate immediately. Last year's team at least had a few upperclassmen making contributions.

Put it this way, look at our freshmen. Do you think a team of Steve Taylor's could get into NIT? Mac, Key, RL, etc had a losing record as freshmen. 16-13 as sophs.

Now, next year, I hear the group he assembled is awesome. They play beyond their years. Couple them with this year's leftovers, and Kentucky should be pretty good.

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
BTW, Kentucky just added Julius Randle to the incoming class. They now have four of the top 10 players (Scout), six of the top 20. The #1 PG, #1 SG, #1 C, #2 C, #1 PF and #3 SF. Evan Daniels calls it the "best class he has ever seen."

IWB
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
With some of their anticipated 1-and-dones staying for another year, how are they going to clear the cap space?

Hamostradamus
03-20-2013, 12:43 PM
With some of their anticipated 1-and-dones staying for another year, how are they going to clear the cap space?

I think World Wide Wes is going to restructure his contract to get it done.

milkbone
03-20-2013, 02:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/9075457/kentucky-wildcats-bounce-back-julius-randle-commitment
.Kentucky just got a verbal from the #3 recruit. I think they will be WAY over the Cap Space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goose85
03-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Randle chooses Kentucky - boy does that help the fans forget about last night's game.

According to Scout they now have the #3, #4, #5, #10, #18, #21 ranked kids coming in for next year. Wow.

Yep - Coach Cal will have to pay the luxury tax next season.

MU_Iceman
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Randle chooses Kentucky - boy does that help the fans forget about last night's game.

According to Scout they now have the #3, #4, #5, #10, #18, #21 ranked kids coming in for next year. Wow.

Yep - Coach Cal will have to pay the luxury tax next season.

Seriously. how can their own fans just turn a blind eye?? There's No way, just no way they can possibly believe someone is bringing in classes like this on his own, without something dirty going on can they?? It's ridiculous! He must have upped his offer to Randle at the last minute because he was supposedly a Kansas lean late last night. I know we keep saying this, but the NCAA HAS to take Cal down at some point don't they?? :confused:

Mucrisco
03-20-2013, 07:25 PM
http://m.hoopsworld.com/hoopsworld/#!/entry/calipari-boeheim-self-on-cheating-in-ncaa,5149e27cd7fc7b5670782b93

pbiflyer
03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Crisco, the link has been removed. What was it?

Mucrisco
03-20-2013, 11:25 PM
MONEY
TECH
TRAVEL
OPINION
43°
WEATHER
MEDIA
THE BIG PAGE

SEARCH
Championship coaches round table: Calipari, Boeheim, Self on cheating in NCAA
Eric Prisbell, USA TODAY Sports 11:16a.m. EDT March 20, 2013

(Photo: Beth Hall, USA TODAY Sports)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The 12 active national title-winning coaches in men's college basketball have seen seismic changes in the game over the past few decades
USA TODAY Sports offers lengthy interviews with these dozen active title-winning coaches
Coaches were asked the question: Have you ever lost a recruit because you would not cheat?
The 12 active national title-winning coaches in men's college basketball have seen seismic changes in the game over the past few decades.

PREVIOUSLY: Championship-winning coaches on issues facing the game

ONE-STOP SHOP: NCAA tournament info

Against the background of the 75th NCAA tournament, USA TODAY Sports offers lengthy interviews with these dozen active title-winning coaches, all of whom still are head coaches at the Division I or II level. They provided a window into their ever-changing world, offering perspective on several big-picture issues that affect modern-day college basketball.

Wednesday, March 20 Question: Have you ever lost a recruit because you would not cheat?

John Calipari:

"Well, I don't believe so. Here's what I would tell you: The way we present it, they know we are not doing something. It's presented in a way where they would not come back at us and say, 'If you are willing to do this, we will come.' They know it is not an option, so they don't present it that way, you know what I'm saying. Have players been influenced by (others)? I don't know, maybe so. Have we backed off because of academic concerns and then they get in other schools? Oh, yeah. That happened. I don't get into all of that. The ones we are supposed to get, we get. The ones that aren't supposed to come here, don't come here."
Roy Williams:

"I have made a lot of decisions in my life to not get involved in scenarios that I thought were going to get ugly at the end. There is no question that some decisions that have been made surprised me, and I guess that is a better way that I would like to answer that."
Bill Self:

"I really think that it is pretty sorry for anybody to say — how's the right way to put this? — in recruiting what frustrates me a lot of the time is when you don't get a kid, the feeling is either he was not good enough or somebody cheated to get him. And I think that is a terrible attitude to have as a coach. Sometimes you just get beat. I don't know that I ever have, to be quite candid with you. There have been numerous rumors. There are rumors about everybody on everything. Rumors don't mean that it is remotely true or not. I cannot tell you right now honestly that I know for a fact that people have bought kids we recruited, or cheated on kids we recruited."
Jim Boeheim:

"That just sounds like sour grapes. If you asked 25 coaches, they will all say that they did at some time, my guess would be. And probably of those 25, more than one of them probably cheated."
Tubby Smith:

"I've got to say yes. Yes. Plain and simple, because somebody asked me for something and I didn't do it and they went somewhere else. It's beyond third-parties now. It's entourages, you know what I mean? That third group is not just one person. It's a freakin' entourage. That group is bringing other things to the table that are influencing and impacting this young man. Kids deal with a lot. In this day and time, there is a lot of pressure, a lot more pressure for these young people. I don't know if I could have handled it, with all the media scrutiny, the social media, just the demands for interviews all the time. Not just pregame interviews but all the time. Then it starts at such an early age. Cover of Sports Illustrated? C'mon, man. YouTube highlight films of everybody. Everybody. You can Google up any player. Any high school player. But they don't realize what comes with that is the pressure, the expectations. Some people can handle it and some can't. There's nothing you can do. [When you lose a recruit because another school cheated], that's why you have 10 guys or five guys on the list at that position. You may not get them anyway. When that element does come involved, that's not necessarily with every kid, there's only a few guys with that potential, only a few in that position. That's why I was always against the one-year deal. Let them go. Let them go. It really doesn't do us any good to have them for a year. It doesn't do the kid as much good. We just become another place where the NBA can evaluate kids. Just let them go. Let them go out of junior high. Let them go when they can, just like they do with any other protégé."
Rick Pitino:

"It happened two times in my life. Once two or three years ago. I was blown away. In all my years no one had ever asked me for anything. Whether they asked the assistant coaches I am not sure. And it happened for the first time three years ago. Shook their hand and said to them, 'This is over.' We left my basement, where the families were gathering on a visit. I said, 'Best of luck to you.' That was the only time in my 30 some years did it ever happen. I just move on to the next kid. It doesn't bother me at all. A coach who gives anything to a player is now being bought and he can never discipline the player. He is going to live in fear every night he puts his head down on the pillow that something is going to come out on what he did. To me, that's something I never want to go through."
Steve Fisher:

"Not that I can recall. I think everyone has lost recruits that you wonder why you lost them. Without going further on that, I think most people, you recruit hard. Often times it is easy to say, when you don't get a kid, 'Well, I didn't get him because someone cheated to get him.' That's the easy thing to say. But I do think there are times when you see a player go to a particular place, and you were recruiting him, and you scratch your head and go, 'Man, how did they go there instead of coming here?' … I think (third-party influences) have been there forever. I have been in college coaching since 1979. It was there then. It is here now. With the growth of summer basketball, and all these kids on all these travel teams, there are more of these folks that are with these kids for two straight months in the summer who have influence on them that you have to find a way to get to know. I'm an old-time high school coach. I coached high school ball for 11 years. Even if I think the high school coach might have minimal influence, I always, always, always have and always will have the high school on speed dial first. Now, you have to talk to these other people. You have to communicate with people that have an impact on where these kids are going to go. But if you have ever been a high school coach and spend time and energy with these kids, I think out of respect for the profession, you'd better involve the high school coach. We try to get to know the parents. The moms, dads and families. But, yeah, you have to deal with whole lots of people in the recruiting world and the quickest thing you better do is figure out who has their ear."
Larry Brown:

"I would agree that I think there's a lot of bad stuff happening out there. There's no doubt in my mind we lost kids. It's going to happen … So many of the kids we recruit have nothing. I have seen kids who have children now. Kids 18 years old and have a baby. It's hard to look at people and judge what they do. The more I see it, I don't want every kid to make a lot of money. But I want every kid who comes to SMU to be able to go to school like an SMU student. Or every kid at KU can go to school like a KU student. So if a kid can go out and eat on a Friday night, or go to a movie because his parents are able to provide that, every student-athlete should have that ability. To go beyond that, I don't think is right. We do provide an education and if we do our job a chance for these kids to be successful later on in life. At KU, some guys would drive to school, parents drop them off in a nice 4 X 4, take out a fridge and a TV. Other kids would get off bus with a duffel bag, I don't know if that's right. Play in an NCAA tourney game, some parents can be there and stay in a nice hotel. Others, it's hardship for them."
Rollie Massimino:

"Wow. I don't want to get into that. I don't want to throw anybody under the bus, you know what I mean? I have never cheated, OK, knowingly. Let's get out of my end, you know what I mean? I never cheated and I never would say I competed against somebody for a player who did, and I wouldn't. I am too old for that baby stuff. (When asked again): Probably. I am not going to say I did. But I know of people who were illegally recruiting, let's put it that way."

Litehouse
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
That's a great line from Pitino... that if you give anything to a player you're being bought, and then you can never discipline that player because they'll always have something over you. Maybe that's why Calipari's team was so undisciplined this year?

Mucrisco
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
That's a great line from Pitino... that if you give anything to a player you're being bought, and then you can never discipline that player because they'll always have something over you. Maybe that's why Calipari's team was so undisciplined this year?

Ha. I found it interesting that they asked Calipari this, and led off with his quotes.