PDA

View Full Version : Big East Presidents to hold press conference

IWB
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
From MU Press Release....

Presidents from the schools representing the New Big East will assemble in New York City to reveal significant progress in the ongoing development of a multi-sport conference, on Wednesday, March 20 at 11 AM ET at News Corporation Building - Fox News Studio D, on West 47th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues.

School presidents will be joined by FOX Sports Media Group Co-President and COO Randy Freer, FOX Sports Media Group Executive Vice President Larry Jones and Joel Fisher, Madison Square Garden Executive Vice President, Sports & Arena Transformation, to discuss advancements.

The fact that they are making this announcement with Madison Square Garden officials suggests that The Big East, Fox Sports and Madison Square Garden will be partnering up for the long term! Great news!!

TheSultan
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Yep! Will they be announcing additions then too?

Goose85
03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Awesome that MSG is part of the announcement.

Great timing for basketball news as well.

kneelb4zerg
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Will Pete Thamel be there?:confused:

IWB
03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Yep! Will they be announcing additions then too?

I assume so since Creighton has invited students to a special party at the same time.

TheSultan
03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
And apparently Xavier has as well.

Markedman
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
yep...David Woods ‏@DavidWoods007
Breaking: Fox Sports will announce #Butler, Xavier & Creighton as new Big East members at NYC news conference tomorrow

Exciting day

ge1974
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
ESPN will probably NOT be there.

IWB
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
I think the fact that the execs from MSG will be there is absolutely HUGE!!

Nukem2
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
I think the fact that the execs from MSG will be there is absolutely HUGE!!

Thay certainly is encouraging.... :)

IWB
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
If they announce a long term deal with MSG, who will be the first to tweet it to Syracuse fans?

Goose85
03-19-2013, 02:39 PM
I would think if MSG is part of the big announcement, that would indicate the conference tourney will be at MSG for a long time.

May even have some allignment with MSG for an in season event too, not just conference tourney.

Will they announce the conference offices in the area too?

The Reptile
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
If they announce a long term deal with MSG, who will be the first to tweet it to Syracuse fans?

I call Pete Thamel at SI.

MU_Iceman
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Ohhhhh this is even better....Gus Johnson to provide opening remarks tomorrow.

@mcmurphyespn: Gus Johnson will provide opening remarks at Fox Sports Network/new Big East announcement Wed

Halo
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
What a coup by the C7. Kept the BE name, got away from the crappy football schools, kept MSG, added some high quality basketball schools and making a lot more money from a very committed television partner who is going all in with the new BE and has the muscle to stand up to ESPN. Great work by the Presidents and AD's of the C7.

dubs98
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
sorry, brain fart...is gus johnson tied to fox? for some reason I thought he was with a different network. All in all, this is absolutely GREAT news.

IWB
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
He used to be with CBS, but dod some work with Fox & BTN this year.

Agree Halo - a home run all the way around!

be69
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Gus Johnson's opening remarks "The C7 Riiiiiiiiiiiiise and Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire, GOT IT! This conference will be PURE! OHHHHHHH OHHHHHHH What a Conference!"

Mucrisco
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Gus Johnson and Erin Andrews. 'Nuff said.

MUMac
03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
He used to be with CBS, but dod some work with Fox & BTN this year.

Agree Halo - a home run all the way around!

He has done more than some work with Fox. He is working for Fox, primarily. Their lead announcer in college football and will be their lead BBall announcer. He left CBS after 2011 (I believe after the MU/Cuse game, he felt he could not top that!) and went to Fox.

Mark Miller
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
DJOOOOOOOOOOO ... his call on DJO's 3 against Syracuse two years ago was a thing of beauty.

Markedman
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
50% of the Big 10 network is owned by Fox Iirc so anybody that does games for them could also do games for us....Gus, Brian Anderson, and Mike Kelly just to name a few.

Markedman
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
I still have that game on DVR Mark...."We're ballin now!"

DJOOOOOOOOOOO ... his call on DJO's 3 against Syracuse two years ago was a thing of beauty.

dubs98
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
I didn't realize that. Fantastic! Looking good up front.

He has done more than some work with Fox. He is working for Fox, primarily. Their lead announcer in college football and will be their lead BBall announcer. He left CBS after 2011 (I believe after the MU/Cuse game, he felt he could not top that!) and went to Fox.

MayorBeluga
03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
50% of the Big 10 network is owned by Fox Iirc.

Does this mean the Big East will follow the lead of the B1G Network, er, conference, in de-emphasizing athletics?

Goose85
03-20-2013, 10:25 AM
From Fox Sports

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Big-East-FOX-Sports-reach-extensive-multi-platform-media-rights-agreement-032013

From MU
http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/032013aaa.html

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Some details...

**Fox Sports is a 12 year deal

**MSG is a "continuing relationship." They haven't mentioned a term of the deal however.

**Really appealing to the roots of the conference. Had the PC college president speak...his dad worked on the initial marketing of the conference.

**Lacrosse will be a BE sport, but will invite "associate members" into the conference.

The Reptile
03-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Some details...

**Fox Sports is a 12 year deal

**MSG is a "continuing relationship." They haven't mentioned a term of the deal however.

**Really appealing to the roots of the conference. Had the PC college president speak...his dad worked on the initial marketing of the conference.

**Lacrosse will be a BE sport, but will invite "associate members" into the conference.

There are some really good smaller Catholic schools that play Lacrosse at a high level, like Loyola Maryland. A really good non-Catholic addition would be Johns Hopkins which is an independent and a perennial Lacrosse power. This is a smart move for the conference and will only help our aspiring program to make an early mark in the sport.

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I had someone drop in my office so I couldn't stay on, but Zagoria is saying the MSG agreement is through 2025-26. So essentially through the length of the Fox contract.

TedBaxter
03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
ESPN will probably NOT be there.

No Sean McDonough? Hmmm....

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Did they talk about future expansion?

Mark Miller
03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Yes. 10 for next year. Possibility of expanding in the future. Mentioned college landscape continues to change and that might affect when/if other schools get invited.

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes. 10 for next year. Possibility of expanding in the future. Mentioned college landscape continues to change and that might affect when/if other schools get invited.

In other words, let's see what happens to the ACC???

Djgoldnboy
03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Sounds GREAT to me:

"Also included in the agreement is a full array of “TV Everywhere” rights which adds to the robust content already available on FOXSports.com, one of the nation’s leading sports Internet sites and FOX Sports GO, a groundbreaking mobile sports experience for iPhone, iPad and Android devices launching this August in conjunction with FS1. FOX Sports Go offers more than 1,000 live games and events from across FOX Sports, FS1 and FOX Sports’ 22 regional sports networks, as well as scores, highlights, news, stats, and analysis. Live games and events are available to subscribers of participating cable, satellite, and telco providers at no additional cost."

Goose85
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
In other words, let's see what happens to the ACC???

And see if Notre Dame wants to bolt. ND seemed to have interest in the new league but needed the ACC bowl tie in for football.

IWB
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Official press releases from Big East & MU....

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?572-The-New-BIG-EAST

The Reptile
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
And see if Notre Dame wants to bolt. ND seemed to have interest in the new league but needed the ACC bowl tie in for football.

The only way we welcome them in is if they pay their way in. Call it a refundable bond the ensure that they don't leave again. Their history is to do whatever serves the interest of nd. It includes an agreement on terms and conditions of an NCAA wide TV package then signing their deal with NBC. They jumped off of the Titanic that was the Big East as quickly as they could after $yracu$e, Pitt$burgh and We$t Virginia left for greener pastures rather than sticking around or joining forces with the B-7 on a departure plan. Right now, we don't need them so if they come calling they need to be resolute. Since the only thing that makes them resolute is $ then they need to pony up to join or go talk with the Big ??.

MU_Iceman
03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Sounds like ideally they would like to go to 12...I agree with Jean....take your time, please.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74924458/