Peter Tiernan: Marquette beats Davidson, Butler and Miami, loses to Indiana

Jeff Goodman: Marquette loses to Davidson

Jeff Borzello: Marquette loses to Davidson

Matt Norlander: Marquette loses to Davidson

Jerry Palm: Marquette loses to Davidson

Dennis Dodd: Marquette beats Davidson and Bucknell, loses to Miami

MUMac
03-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Buzz won't have any trouble getting these guys focused. MU seems like the favorite to be chosen to lose on Thursday. I am fine with that. Continue the underappreciated mantra. This is much like Murray State being chosen by many to upset MU.

The Reptile
03-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Watching some of the folks on TV do their picks they go chalk in the upper part of the bracket. They seem almost obligated to take an upset on the bottom half so they single us out. I don't take it personally, just find humor that the same 'experts' that love our coach, love out team and our program seem to all be picking us for an upset because they believe that they need one in each region.

dubs98
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Not a big deal at all. Every year experts are expected to pick upsets, as every year there are upsets. the fans from whichever team that is supposed to be upset reliably then states how their team gets no respect, the experts are morons, blah, blah, blah. They are paid to give an opinion, so there is nothing wrong with them saying it will happen to be us this year. Hell, if I wasn't such a huge MU fan I would probably think the same thing. I think our team is really solid and we have beaten a lot of really good programs. With that said, we have not really trounced anyone and we can really struggle to put the ball in the hole. Both of these can be a recipe for an easier upset. If we don't turn it over unneccesarily and if we shoot well, we should advance through the first two rounds. If not, we can not dominate anyone which leaves us susceptible to an upset. This is not a knock on the guys or our team, but it is the simple truth for the year. hopefully we bring our A game.

IWB
03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh I hear you, just realizing that from here on out, the only experts who's opinions I will value are those of Zuch' committee and Peter Tiernan. :)

MU_Iceman
03-18-2013, 01:27 PM
MU rolls vs Davidson, and then beats Bucknell. I won't go any further than that at this time until I find out who they are playing.

Mark Miller
03-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Add Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News to the list of "experts" picking Davidson.

Anybody have an ESPN Insiders subscription? Did Jay Bilas pick MU or Davidson?

IWB
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Bilas has Marquette beating Davidson and Butler, losing to Miami.

QuetteHoops
03-18-2013, 02:00 PM
It looks like Marquette is the trendy upset pick this year... To me it always seems like the upset that everyone is banking on happening doesn't happen. I think that holds true Thursday. Go Marquette!

Nukem2
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
MU will need to play a lot better than its last 3 games ( ND, SJU and Rutgers ). Otherwise, an upset looms...?

milkbone
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
It looks like Marquette is the trendy upset pick this year... To me it always seems like the upset that everyone is banking on happening doesn't happen. I think that holds true Thursday. Go Marquette!
.Reminds me of a couple years ago, everyone picked Belmont over Bucky. If I remember right, Bucky didn't have much trouble beating them.

835schroeder
03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Pete Gillen put MU to go to the elite eight, losing to Miami. He said " Vander Blue, stick with the glue!" Alaa Abdelnathy jumped in and said he is picking Marquette to beat Miami, and go to the final four! Ths was on the CBS Sports bracket breakdown show.

Mark Miller
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Add Doug Gottlieb, Tom Oates (Wis. State Journal) and Jay Williams (ESPN) to list of people picking Davidson. Oates has the Big Ten going 7-0 in first-round games and Big East going 2-6.

mufansince72
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Add Doug Gottlieb, Tom Oates (Wis. State Journal) and Jay Williams (ESPN) to list of people picking Davidson. Oates has the Big Ten going 7-0 in first-round games and Big East going 2-6.

Tom Oates is a complete tool. Had the displeasure of listening to him on the radio yesterday while driving.

MUMac
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Tom Oates is a complete tool. Had the displeasure of listening to him on the radio yesterday while driving.

What do you expect from Oates? Look where he went to High School!!!

CaribouJim
03-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Pete Gillen put MU to go to the elite eight, losing to Miami. He said " Vander Blue, stick with the glue!" Alaa Abdelnathy jumped in and said he is picking Marquette to beat Miami, and go to the final four! Ths was on the CBS Sports bracket breakdown show.

If MU loses to Miami, wouldn't that mean MU just gets to the Sweet 16?

mufansince72
03-19-2013, 10:20 PM
What do you expect from Oates? Look where he went to High School!!!

where did he go?

MUMac
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
where did he go?

Appleton Xavier. Not much of a school. They were lucky the left the FVCC to get away from the dominance of Pennings and Premontre.

ps that is the same school that produced Mr. Mark Miller ;)

Mark Miller
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Actually, in the only sport that counts -- basketball -- Xavier dominated Premontre and Pennings during my time in high school (1978-81). Of course, Pennings did beat us in the quarterfinals of the WISAA Tourney back in 1981 after we had crushed the Squires twice during the regular season.

Miss those days.

TheSultan
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Is Notre Dame a successor of either Pennings or Premontre? Did they merge or something?

Mark Miller
03-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Notre Dame was formed in 1990 for the 1990-91 school year with the closure and mergers of Premontre, Penning and St. Joe's Academy. Premontre and Pennings were all-boys schools and St. Joe's was an all-girls school.

Pennings, as MUMac will quickly point out, won its final high school basketball game in 1990 when it beat Milwaukee Marquette for the WISAA state title. Northwestern's Kevin Rankin was a star on that Pennings squad.

Mark Miller
03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Tony Kornheiser and Mike Willbon are both picking Davidson to beat Marquette.

MUMac
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Is Notre Dame a successor of either Pennings or Premontre? Did they merge or something?

No. Pennings could NEVER be part of Notre Dame.

But officially, yes, it is Pennings, Premontre and St. Josephs Academy (the all girls school).

MUMac
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Notre Dame was formed in 1990 for the 1990-91 school year with the closure and mergers of Premontre, Penning and St. Joe's Academy. Premontre and Pennings were all-boys schools and St. Joe's was an all-girls school.

Pennings, as MUMac will quickly point out, won its final high school basketball game in 1990 when it beat Milwaukee Marquette for the WISAA state title. Northwestern's Kevin Rankin was a star on that Pennings squad.

And Kevin wanted to attend MU, but MU had two other big commits, so he went to Northwestern and became All Big 10. As an aside, Dick Bennett was close to the Rankins. He really wanted Kevin to attend GB. He felt that was the missing piece for a deep, deep NCAA run. Not getting him was a big reason why Dick eventually left GB. He felt he could never take them further than he already had. If he couldn't recruit a family friend in the same city ...

The Reptile
03-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Here are the picks for CBS' experts....

Just to recap:

Gary Parrish: MU beats Davidson, loses to Butler - So far, so good.

Gregg Doyel: MU loses to Davidson - making Gregg Doyle a LOSER

Peter Tiernan: Marquette beats Davidson, Butler and Miami, loses to Indiana - Correct. Chose well.

Jeff Goodman: Marquette loses to Davidson - which makes Jeff Goodman a LOSER

Jeff Borzello: Marquette loses to Davidson - also makes Jeff Borzello a LOSER

Matt Norlander: Marquette loses to Davidson - makes Matt Norlander the turkey strike in the trio of LOSERS!

Jerry Palm: Marquette loses to Davidson - Jerry is statistically insignificant, and is a LOSER!

Dennis Dodd: Marquette beats Davidson and Bucknell, loses to Miami - is correct, so far.