PDA

View Full Version : Contest - MU's First Round Opponent

Phantom Warrior
03-17-2013, 04:33 AM
What team will MU face in the Round of 64?

I'm guessing new Mexico State.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Valparaiso

MU_Iceman
03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Sultan took mine....so I will go with Akron or Montana.

dubs98
03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
st. marys...time to take down the gaels

Awilhelmscream
03-17-2013, 08:52 AM
st. marys...time to take down the gaels

St. Mary's probably in San Jose. We always seem to play an early round opponent that basically has a home game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Every bracketology I've seen has us in San Jose now, I'll say San Jose against Belmont, with a second round matchup against Ok. State.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
St. Mary's probably in San Jose. We always seem to play an early round opponent that basically has a home game.

2012: BYU @Louisville
2011: Xavier @Cleveland
2010: Washington @San Jose
2009: Utah State @Boise
2008: Kentucky @Anaheim
2007: MSU @Winston-Salem
2006: Alabama @San Diego

Not exactly sure what one of these was "basically a home game" for the opponent. Every single one of those games is 250 miles or more away from both schools.

MUfan12
03-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Utah State at Boise was. Stanford in Anaheim was. Murray State in Louisville was.

His post said "early round." Second round games can fall under that as well.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Utah State is 250 miles from Boise. Stanford is almost 400 miles from Anaheim. Murray isn't exactly close to Louisville either.

ge1974
03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Bucknell. I was hoping to play
Stephen F. Austin and the Six Million Dollar men but they lost last night.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Also Stanford was a 3 seed and we were a six, I wouldn't call that unfair. I think a lot of the, "Marquette always gets screwed by the selection committee" is miss placed, we really haven't gotten truly screwed in awhile.

MU_Iceman
03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Utah State is 250 miles from Boise. Stanford is almost 400 miles from Anaheim. Murray isn't exactly close to Louisville either.

Do you always have to dispute everything anyone says?? Geez Sultan. You are missing the point entirely...in all of those instances, except Stanford, MU was the higher seed playing in a MUCH closer venue for the lower seeded team. You don't think that Utah State had a "home" crowd in Boise as opposed to MU, or Stanford in Anaheim?? or Murray State in Louisville?? Did you even watch any of those games?? :confused:

Awilhelmscream
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM

You only saw what you wanted to see in my response. Just an FYI, I grew up 30 minutes north of Murray, KY and its a short trip to Louisville. Basically a home game means far less travel an we had to make and high densities of local alumni or a school close enough that casual fans that show will pull for. X at Cleveland is an example of that, USU at Boise is an example of that, Stanford at Anaheim is an example and yes I included second round games in my reasoning there so please feel free to take a gander at those as well.

IWB
03-17-2013, 10:41 AM
There are two components to that. First, you have a lot of fans from that school that travel to the game. When you are talking NCAA tourney, traveling 250-400 miles is nothing. That is like traveling to Indianapolis or Louisville. There were an absolute crapload of MU fans that drove to Louisville when MU played there.

Next - home state. In both of those cases the local fans will cheer for the team in their state, or close to it with Utah/Boise. So if your fan base brings 3,000 fans, and there are 5,000+ of the local fans cheering for that team, there is no question that it turns into a "home game".

MU_Iceman
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Also Stanford was a 3 seed and we were a six, I wouldn't call that unfair. I think a lot of the, "Marquette always gets screwed by the selection committee" is miss placed, we really haven't gotten truly screwed in awhile.

Are you sure?? I mean it worked out but having to play a lower seeded Murray State team in Louisville was quite unfair. That was a VERY pro Murray State crowd, plus they were "the" story that year. Not too mention having to play a team from the play in game.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Do you always have to dispute everything anyone says?? Geez Sultan. You are missing the point entirely...in all of those instances, except Stanford, MU was the higher seed playing in a MUCH closer venue for the lower seeded team. You don't think that Utah State had a "home" crowd in Boise as opposed to MU, or Stanford in Anaheim?? or Murray State in Louisville?? Did you even watch any of those games?? :confused:

No, I just get tired of the CONSTANT victimization from Marquette fans. The local press hates us...the people of Wisconsin hates us...the refs are biased against us...the NCAA is against us...ESPN hates the new conference....

Seriously, I have never seen a fan-base that feels so oppressed. Sometimes decisions are made that aren't in MU's best interest, but the reasons are reasonable or really aren't that big of a deal.

Good thing Buzz likes to fight through adversity versus whining about it like its fan base does, or else this team couldn't accomplish anything.

Awilhelmscream
03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Facts are facts as far as this particular argument is concerned. The committee says they try to give special consideration to schools that have been forced to travel long distances in the past and they supposedly also try to keep the four to one seeds closer to home from what I recall. They haven't done so with Marquette and I'm sure some other schools have that argument as well. Difference between MU and those other schools is we've made the tourney every year for 8 years and it keeps happening.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Facts are facts as far as this particular argument is concerned. The committee says they try to give special consideration to schools that have been forced to travel long distances in the past and they supposedly also try to keep the four to one seeds closer to home from what I recall. They haven't done so with Marquette and I'm sure some other schools have that argument as well. Difference between MU and those other schools is we've made the tourney every year for 8 years and it keeps happening.

The only time we were a top four seed recently was last year. And we went to the closest location possible.

Awilhelmscream
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
See my response in the seeding thread for further explanation. We're carrying on two redundant arguments right now;)

MU Viking
03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I'll guess Davidson since most other options are taken

Markedman
03-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Murray is in Kentucky and since UK was also in that pod the whole arena was rooting for Murray State.....come on...

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll go with Middle Tenn State