PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown's power causing tension among new, old Big East schools

CaribouJim
03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130315/georgetown-catholic-seven-tension/?sct=obinsite

This is the first I heard about this - I assumed that they have the most power in the new Big East, but wasn't aware of all the drama behind the scenes. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

NEW YORK -- In the final rendition of the Big East Tournament as we knew it, Georgetown has emerged as the unquestioned headliner. The Hoyas have the top seed, best player in Otto Porter, and coach John Thompson III has done the best coaching job in the league this year.
The Hoyas also delivered the matchup everyone wants to see, clawing past Cincinnati on Thursday to set up a fitting final Big East game with storied rival Syracuse in the semifinals on Friday night.

Off the court, the Hoyas are taking a victory lap, too. This has not been as well received. The actions of Georgetown president Jack DeGioia have peeved officials in both Georgetown's new and old leagues and raised questions of whether the Hoyas are wielding too much power in the formation of the "new" Big East.

DeGioia has emerged as the most powerful leader in the new league. He's also been a divisive one, as it took months of lobbying to convince DeGioia to break away from the Big East and join the Catholic Seven. Officials around the league were flabbergasted when he broke the league's media ban to take credit for leadership in a league he was reluctant to join. The tension resurfaced recently after a profile of DeGioia appeared in the Washington Post with the headline, "Georgetown takes lead in preserving basketball tradition of Catholic 7."
"Not only are they doing a victory lap, they're not doing the work to earn it," said one school official. "At the time they want all the dealings to be clandestine; for them to go out front and take credit is beyond reprehensible."

Added another: "There were a lot of eye rolls."

DeGioia couldn't be reached for comment.

DeGioia is a philosopher and considered a brilliant academic. But the conference game is predicated on business and television acumen, and those skills are being questioned. The oddest part of the Catholic Seven's TV deal with Fox is that the conference declined to take their product to market, canceling meetings with high-level potential TV partners.

Fox's offer of nearly $500 million, which will pay schools north of $4 million per season, was contingent on not talking to another network. It's certainly a good deal and the league is the cusp of banking a lot of money. But there's a strong feeling in the television industry that the Catholic Seven left some money on the table, as it could have received more cash and exposure if it cut a deal with two different networks. There were no lack of suitors, and the decision to not take meetings to explore other options was considered an anomaly.

"Very unusual," said an industry source. "I don't ever recall a situation with a property like this where people didn't at least take meetings to find out what other opportunities will be out there."

DeGioia is viewed in "old" Big East circles as one of the most vocal opponents -- along with officials from Rutgers, Notre Dame and Pitt -- of the Big East signing a deal for $130 million annually with ESPN nearly two years ago. To compare, the deal the soon-to-be-renamed Big East just signed is worth $130 million over seven years.

There will always be the question of whether Pitt and Syracuse would have defected if the Big East had signed that ESPN deal in May 2011. The answer is likely yes, as the there's seemingly nothing that could stop the gale force of realignment. The decision to reject the television deal looks foolish in retrospect. At DeGioia's suggestion, Georgetown Board Chair Paul Tagliabue was brought in to consult on Big East matters. He famously insisted, "We can manage the risk," when convincing officials to take the league to the open market. The Big East couldn't manage the risk. It fell apart within 18 months.

Recently, John Thompson III joked that he'd love to call the new Big East "the Georgetown league." But when you look at what's happened, he may not be joking. There have been formal discussions about the new league's office being in Washington. The lawyer who is essentially acting as commissioner, Joe Leccese, is a Georgetown graduate. The person who will be spearheading the search for the new commissioner, Liz Boardman of Russell Reynolds, is a former Georgetown field hockey player.

While Georgetown's fingerprints are obvious, a big test of Georgetown's power will be whether or not VCU joins the league in the next wave of expansion. While Georgetown hasn't lobbied against VCU in meetings, television sources say that the Hoyas don't want VCU in the league. (The prevailing thought being that VCU is too close geographically for Georgetown's comfort and being a public school doesn't fit the profile.) Many schools in the Catholic Seven are enamored with VCU, especially because the league's bottom four teams -- Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall and St. John's -- have combined to win just one NCAA tournament game in the last 10 years.

Thompson III's "Georgetown League" may be closer to a reality than most people realize. And as the "new" Big East sits on the cusp of a promising new future, some are wondering if there's too much Georgetown in the "Georgetown League."

Mucrisco
03-16-2013, 07:35 PM
There's already a thread on this here and on the premium board.
http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?3743-Thamel-on-GT-power-play

TedBaxter
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
DeGioia is a philosopher and considered a brilliant academic.

In other words, he doesn't know how to deal with people or with common sense.

CaribouJim
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
There's already a thread on this here and on the premium board.
http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?3743-Thamel-on-GT-power-play

I'm not on premium board...

Mucrisco
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
The thread I linked is not on the premium board. I meant there are two, one free and one on the premium board.

ziggysfryboy
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
is DeGioia a Jesuit or layman?

The Reptile
03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Jesuit. And the author is the same Syracuse alum that wrote the ACC to MSG article. He seems to have an axe to grind even though his school is out the door to the ACC.

mutpm
03-17-2013, 09:34 AM
DeGioia is a layman.

TulsaWarrior
03-17-2013, 10:18 AM
The fact is we need each other -- Georgetown and Marquette. We need to have a strong program in NYC with St. John's. Like it or not I'd welcome DePaul becoming a strong program. Nova should always be a strong team. The administration in Philedelphia has figured out the right equation to support a high level D1 program.

The Reptile
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
DeGioia is a layman.

I stand corrected. He is a layman and a professor.

CaribouJim
03-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I stand corrected. He is a layman and a professor.

He was on one of the news stations earlier this week weighing in on the new Pope. Is Georgetown the only one to have a layperson as President? I had always thought that you had to be a Jesuit.

TheSultan
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Jesuit_Colleges_and_Universities

Looks like about 6-8 are lay leaders.

JohnnyRev
03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Everyone was saying that Fr. Scott Pilarz is likely the last Jesuit president of Marquette also. There just are not that many presidential younger Jesuits in the pipeline for 28 colleges.

CaribouJim
03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Everyone was saying that Fr. Scott Pilarz is likely the last Jesuit president of Marquette also. There just are not that many presidential younger Jesuits in the pipeline for 28 colleges.

Really? That is a bummer. How do you best define "presidential"? Management/business background?

The Reptile
03-17-2013, 01:07 PM

We could always pull one from out of Argentina. What's good for Rome should be good enough for MU as well.

Gato78
03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I think Jim Flaherty S.J. Would be a good one to consider. He might not have the academic credentials (not sure) but he is doing a great job at Nativity and is well liked among MU alums. Reminds me of Tim Lannon S.J. who is running Creighton. Fr. Flaherty is currently on boards at MU and Santa Clara.