PDA

View Full Version : Can ESPN slam the new Big East anymore than they are?

pbiflyer
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Right now, Digger, Bilas & company are lamenting the demise of the Big East. Fine, but they go out of their way to say that while the name will exist, it won't be the same, won't be good. They say how the east coast people will miss going to MSG for the Big East tourney. Just going on and on about how it really isn't the Big East anymore.
They fail to mention how thrilling it will be to have a Big10/11/12... matchup of Rutgers and Maryland, etc.
Really beginning to hate ESPN.

Mark Miller
03-16-2013, 12:08 PM
I've thought the entire Big East Tournament that ESPN has actually gone out of its way to bash the new Big East.

Never one mention about how the new league will be different, but exciting with the Catholic-7 adding Butler, Creighton and Xavier.

Of course, the new league will be on a rival network so why would they pass along any praise?

Always liked Bilas, but lately he seems kind of bitter and outspoken. At officials, at the NCAA, at certain players, etc.

MUfan12
03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I've thought the entire Big East Tournament that ESPN has actually gone out of its way to bash the new Big East.

Never one mention about how the new league will be different, but exciting with the Catholic-7 adding Butler, Creighton and Xavier.

The hypocrisy is nauseating. ESPN laments the loss of the basketball league, how they went away from their roots, yada yada yada. Yet they refuse to give any credit to the C7 for bringing the league back to those basketball roots.

ValiantSailor
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
The more ESPN fears the emergence of Fox in sports programming, the nastier it will become. Don't expect any love from people on the ESPN payroll.

Buckle up...it's gonna be a wild couple of years.

VS

TedBaxter
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with everyone. I saw the Digger comment and I read the Zagoria Blog comments from Bilas that the ACC should look at MSG.

Tanks for nuttin.

MUMac
03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Bilas had always been a favorite of mine (along with Rafferty). I agree with Mark Miller, his pious preaching has come off as whining. I am starting to turn the volume down.

Honestly, I have not been a fan of ESPN for the last 10 or so years. They are not what they were. Chris Berman is a prime example of how I view ESPN. I liked listening to him until he felt HE was it. He is insufferable to listen to. Much like most of the ESPN Programming. When a game goes to halftime, I usually turn the channel. I do not watch before or after games.

Personally, I can't wait for the day that Fox takes over the NCAA Tournament. That day is coming soon.

Mucrisco
03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I agree. I know I say this over and over, but that's why I don't watch Sportscenter anymore. I don't watch the pre-game shows etc. All that hype, troublesome bad character news, whining while wanting to be traded, wanting bigger contracts, fake girlfriends...It was ruining sports for me. Getting rid of all that, I've renewed my love for sports because I've returned to the reasons why I love it. I enjoy the action, the competitiveness, and the strategy. For example, I don't get sick of the Superbowl hype, because I stay way from it. I know nothing of the Teo drama, and while all my friends were texting me about Dwight Howard this past summer, I knew nothing of that whole situation. Meanwhile, I have time to pursue other things that I have become passionate about. For the older than me guys on here, is that just part of getting older?

The only thing that I've enjoyed from ESPN lately, is the 30 for 30 films, and those documentaries such as about the Fab Five. I'm not sure if that was part of the 30 for 30 series. I'm looking forward to the new innovative ways that Fox will definitely be presenting to us with the New Big East.

MU/Panther
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Personally, I can't wait for the day that Fox takes over the NCAA Tournament. That day is coming soon. Isn't CBS/Turner signed for the next 12 years.

MU/Panther
03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Keep in mind ESPN match the deal of NBC to keep the current Big East of Uconn, UC, Temple, Memphis, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, etc. So, ya there is sourgrapes. ESPN should've let NBC have the league.

dw3dw3dw3
03-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Bilas had always been a favorite of mine (along with Rafferty). I agree with Mark Miller, his pious preaching has come off as whining. I am starting to turn the volume down.

+1... Following him on twitter has gotten annoying. Used to think very highly of him. He's trying to move from highly respected basketball analyst to God of basketball and its rules. Maybe he's just trying to drive some book sales.

TulsaWarrior
03-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Wait until next season when you want to see highlights on ESPN.

CaribouJim
03-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Would it have killed them to at least close after the game last night with something along these lines - "The Big East as we have known it is no longer, however its DNA will passed onto the "new" Big East and they will carry the torch of Dave Gavitt's vision with a hyper-focus on basketball - the way it was founded - with teams with a rich, rich history in our sport AND in the "original" Big East. We wish them all the luck in world. Good night everyone."

At a minimum they could have done this.

The Reptile
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
News flash from ESPN: Tim Tebow did something today.

Litehouse
03-17-2013, 09:07 PM
They have to talk about something to fill this slow period between now and Michael Jordan's 51st Birthday.