PDA

View Full Version : Thamel on GT power play

kneelb4zerg
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130315/georgetown-catholic-seven-tension/

This is interesting; I didn't realize that the B7 never took their product to market.

TheSultan
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, there are six other schools, and if they are going to let Georgetown do this...they are going to do this.

Djgoldnboy
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Don't buy what this guy is saying, read his other article about the ACC and the Garden....seems like he wants the Catholic 7 to fail/has an agenda. (He's a Syracuse alum to boot).

Mucrisco
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Gtown's message board response:
http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=26905

I hope they crush Cuse tonight. Have to root for the new Big East.

Orlando
03-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I view this as a good thing. Even though the New Big East is in solidarity mode right now, it will have to end for the league to thrive. Rivalries sell. Tension sells. Solidarity does not sell. For this league to succeed it will need rivalries that have a national appeal. Hate has national appeal. Respect does not.

What do people remember about the early days of the Big East. Pure unadulterated hatred. Fist fights. Cocky coaches mouthing off to the media. Hoya paranoia. Bullying. This is why the league succeeded and thrived. I am glad that Georgetown is willing to pick up the black hat and wear it with pride. There will be recruits that want to play for the villain and there will be recruits that want to punch the villain in the nose. This is what we need.

I want the New Big East to succeed. If 10 years from now, we hate GT, Villanove, Butler, Xavier, DePaul, etc. as much as we hate ND and Wisconsin, we will be part of a thriving league. If we are all still talking solidarity and respect and bemoaning that our wonderful new conference mates don't get the respect they deserve, the league will be mid-major.

Mucrisco
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I view this as a good thing. Even though the New Big East is in solidarity mode right now, it will have to end for the league to thrive. Rivalries sell. Tension sells. Solidarity does not sell. For this league to succeed it will need rivalries that have a national appeal. Hate has national appeal. Respect does not.

What do people remember about the early days of the Big East. Pure unadulterated hatred. Fist fights. Cocky coaches mouthing off to the media. Hoya paranoia. Bullying. This is why the league succeeded and thrived. I am glad that Georgetown is willing to pick up the black hat and wear it with pride. There will be recruits that want to play for the villain and there will be recruits that want to punch the villain in the nose. This is what we need.

I want the New Big East to succeed. If 10 years from now, we hate GT, Villanove, Butler, Xavier, DePaul, etc. as much as we hate ND and Wisconsin, we will be part of a thriving league. If we are all still talking solidarity and respect and bemoaning that our wonderful new conference mates don't get the respect they deserve, the league will be mid-major.

All great points! I hope I hate Xavier as much as I did Cincy, and Butler as much as I hate and respect Louisville. I hope Gtiwn isn't the only team we hate.