PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully

MUMac
03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
This is the last time we see Jim Burr officiate a Marquette game. He really needs to retire.

IrwinFletcher
03-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Driscoll blows as well....

I don't want to blame the refs for this game because MU played awful, but that sequence where we were called fro 3 ticky tack calls while we are getting pummeled was really frustrating.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-14-2013, 11:29 PM
That was a terrible sequence that cost us momentum. Unfortunately MU also provided many reasons why we shouldn't have won anyhow. Too many turnovers and for Christ sake too many open looks for Connaughton... Not our best, I fear I hope and pray we don't get dropped to a 5 seed.

MUMac
03-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Driscoll blows as well....

I don't want to blame the refs for this game because MU played awful, but that sequence where we were called fro 3 ticky tack calls while we are getting pummeled was really frustrating.

I can see how my post may be interpreted that way, but it is 180 degrees from my intent. My comment had nothing to do with the officiating tonight or how Burr officiate tonight. I just think he is embarrassingly bad. Out of position, can't keep up, seems clueless at times. Sad to see anyone stay too long, but he is far past his prime. Thus, I hope tonight was the last game MU has with him.

Gato78
03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Last night's officiating continued the downward trend. Bilas and Raft were unabashed in their criticism in the Louisville game. Some criticism in our game too. The inconsistency is the problem. Lots of contact for a while followed by a series of "nickel dimers". Has to be frustrating to players. Really pisses me off since I strongly believe officiating affects outcomes.

TheSultan
03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
It's a problem rampant in college basketball. I think the explosion of dribble drive motion offenses, with all the contact they create, lead to inconsistency of the type you mention. On the one hand, refs don't want to be blowing their whistles constantly, but on the other hand I think this is part of the reason that offense has become so stagnant in college basketball.

On top of that, the refs are old, out of shape, and self-employed.