PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on Jeter and Facilities

Jimmy Lemke
03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Link: Siena's search for a new coach (http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Next-coach-gets-dream-job-4349484.php)

I thought I'd bring it to the board for two reasons:

1. It shows just how high expectations are for a coach like Jeter who has to follow such a successful one. It also shows how the next person's going to get a ton of support no matter who they are.

2. Siena College's administration is investing in the program. Through facilities.

MayorCK
03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Hopefully Jeter submits a resume for that job. With all the crap and ineptitude he's had to deal with here, he's due for a job with some support, instead of his current one where fly-by-night, over the hill, out of touch, transient ADs take his basketball arena away from him.

MayorCK
03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
For those wondering, that is TOTALLY a shot at Geiger.

Jimmy Lemke
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I wonder what coach Jeter would be able to do if given facilities that can compete. I'd be willing to bet if we had a $35 million practice facility and the Cell the past eight years, nobody would be clamoring for him to be fired.

JGPanthers
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Agreed we need an improved facility situation. But if there's one thing we know for sure, it's that we don't need a $35 million practice facility to compete for league titles and to advance to the Sweet 16. People are clamoring for Jeter to get fired because he isn't living up to the expectations that his predecessors left for him. Tough situation, but not an unfair situation. Hopefully he can right this rudderless ship, because a new facility unfortunately isn't going to be here in time to make a difference...

Jimmy Lemke
03-15-2013, 12:59 AM
This is definitely true. But this is like saying to a cop they don't need an assault rifle when they have a baton. Both get the job done, one just does it a whoooooole lot better.

JGPanthers
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
This is definitely true. But this is like saying to a cop they don't need an assault rifle when they have a baton. Both get the job done, one just does it a whoooooole lot better.

Not at all actually. Like I said, I agree we need to upgrade our facilities. It's a no brainer. But what I'm saying is, you don't need an assault rifle to make a high profile arrest. Making the excuse that you can't make an arrest without an assault rifle is about as pathetic as making the excuse you can't win because you don't have the most expensive practice facility in the world.

In short, I don't gain any new perspective on Coach Jeter's ability to do his job at Milwaukee by the investments made at Siena.

lutzow10
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
You are right. You don't need the best facility to win. You can win with a good one. I think having the best facility is more important for recruiting. And better recruits mean better chance of winning. Its like if you had the option between offering a kid a toy, but its a toy that everyone else is offering them too OR you could offer them a state of the art toy that no one else has. 18 year old kids are no different. They attracted to the big shiny facility

JGPanthers
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Again, I'm not arguing against the facility. It's a necessity. Obviously, that's part of what attracts kids to a school. My point is simply that not having the best practice facility in the nation shouldn't be an excuse for our lack of NCAA tournament opportunities in the last 8 years.

Jimmy Lemke
03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Again, I'm not arguing against the facility. It's a necessity. Obviously, that's part of what attracts kids to a school. My point is simply that not having the best practice facility in the nation shouldn't be an excuse for our lack of NCAA tournament opportunities in the last 8 years.

Oh most definitely. I just know that the difference between a $10 million facility and a $35 million facility will be the difference between annual top 30 team and an annual top 130 team.