PDA

View Full Version : Dayton next year?

TrevorCandelino
03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
If true, this is surprising to me......IWB?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/butler_dayton_xavier_to_join_next_HWBR8nzwcf0a0rZS xkf8IM

Goose85
03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Dayton, are you kidding me? Of all of the rumored options they are last in my opinion.

Richmond is growning on me as possible regional rival with Georgetown. St. Louis is a big time sports town and SLU has a lot of potential. Creighton is a fit too.

Dayton? Dayton is in the same state as Xavier and didn't even make the cutoff to go to the A-10 tournament (edit: I was wrong, Dayton got in with the 12 seed). I'd take Richmond over Dayton any day of the week. New state, offers more of the other sports such as lacrosse, and east coast relatively close to Georgetown.

TheSultan
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I think DePaul is pushing for them so they might actually be able to beat someone. :p (Stolen from Scoop.)

Goose85
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
From ajerseyguy.

" The main topics are expected to be:

Expansion–Butler and Xavier are the primary targets, with Creighton not far behind, which will give the new Big East a 10 team league for 2014, a configuration which will allow a double round robin home and home conference 18 game schedule."

He still expects Creighton.

http://ajerseyguy.com/

TulsaWarrior
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Omaha and St. Louis should attract good crowds for games with the likes of Georgetown and Marquette. No pro sports to draw fans away. That's probably why Dayton's home attendance is solid. In Richmond there's competition between home town rivals. VCU is the hot hand now. When Wainwright was at Richmond the team was doing well. I would pay a lot of American money to know which schools have asked about admission to the New Big East.

Ironically back in the 1960s and even 70s Loyola of Chicago and Detroit would be at the top of the conference addition list. That train has left the station. Loyola would fill the old Chicago Stadium, in the George Ireland days. Spencer Haywood starred for Detroit. They were ranked in the top five when they took on Marquette at the Milwaukee Arena.

Bad decisions put those two schools in the catagory of who cares and cost the both tens of millions in national marketing value.

WarriorsNuffSaid
03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Dayton? A-10 has a $2M exit fee, while the Missouri Valley has no exit fee. Got to be Creighton before Dayton.

Gato78
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Who cares what the exit fees are? If Dayton pays them, it should have no bearing.

Dayton? A-10 has a $2M exit fee, while the Missouri Valley has no exit fee. Got to be Creighton before Dayton.

Goose85
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
In year one the new Big East has to make a big splash and get multiple teams in the NCAA tourney to set the perception and expectation that this is not a mid major conference and is still a major player in college hoops.

I think Creighton helps to accomplish this more than Dayton, especially if for some reason McDermott would stay (would a move to the Big East help that)?

I know the conference is long term, but in year one the conference needs to make a big splash. I don't think Dayton, who would likely come at any time over the next couple years, would help accomplish a big splash in year one.

Only add a likely NCAA team of your chosen group of options for year one (along with Butler / Xavier). Take another year to decide on teams 11 and 12.

kneelb4zerg
03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
In year one the new Big East has to make a big splash and get multiple teams in the NCAA tourney to set the perception and expectation that this is not a mid major conference and is still a major player in college hoops.

I think Creighton helps to accomplish this more than Dayton, especially if for some reason McDermott would stay (would a move to the Big East help that)?

I know the conference is long term, but in year one the conference needs to make a big splash. I don't think Dayton, who would likely come at any time over the next couple years, would help accomplish a big splash in year one.

Only add a likely NCAA team of your chosen group of options for year one (along with Butler / Xavier). Take another year to decide on teams 11 and 12.

I don't know that they *need* to make a splash, whatever that means, and who says Creighton is a sure fire tournament team next year anyway?

WarriorsNuffSaid
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Who cares what the exit fees are? If Dayton pays them, it should have no bearing.

Because it was mentioned that Xavier and Butler might receive some financial assistance for those exit fees from the new Big East. Hope that wouldn't be the case for Dayton.

CaribouJim
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
I've heard 3 different sites for the new HQ - Providence, DC and NYC - in the last two days.

Goose85
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't know that they *need* to make a splash, whatever that means, and who says Creighton is a sure fire tournament team next year anyway?

I think it would really hurt the perception of the conference if only two teams would make the NCAA tourney. The "splash" I am referencing is having multiple teams gain NCAA tourney bids in year one. The 10th school should be a school you think has a real NCAA tourney shot, not the 12th seed from the A-10 conference.

When you don't have football, you run the risk of being labeled a mid-major conference. I think a poor showing in year one, from an NCAA tournament selection standpoint, would not be a good thing for the perception of the new Big East.

I don't think that Dayton adds anything to the new conference from a national perception in year one. My guess (it's only a guess) is that Creighton may have more national credibility than the 12th seeded team from the A-10.

Need to make sure that MU and Georgetown are not the only teams to make the big dance next year, especially if the A-10 has another multi bid year.

IWB
03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
If true, this is surprising to me......IWB?

While Dayton is in the mix, I do not believe this to be true.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm a retirement planner so pardon my ignorance when it comes to media ethics but how can all of these media outlets report things as though they are matter of fact? This NY Post article doesn't say "according to sources" which is usually the "out-clause" in case their report turns out to be incorrect. This report clearly states that Dayton will be the 10th team for 2013. What accountability is left in today's journalism world?

TedBaxter
03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
I think it would really hurt the perception of the conference if only two teams would make the NCAA tourney. The "splash" I am referencing is having multiple teams gain NCAA tourney bids in year one. The 10th school should be a school you think has a real NCAA tourney shot, not the 12th seed from the A-10 conference.

When you don't have football, you run the risk of being labeled a mid-major conference. I think a poor showing in year one, from an NCAA tournament selection standpoint, would not be a good thing for the perception of the new Big East.

I don't think that Dayton adds anything to the new conference from a national perception in year one. My guess (it's only a guess) is that Creighton may have more national credibility than the 12th seeded team from the A-10.

Need to make sure that MU and Georgetown are not the only teams to make the big dance next year, especially if the A-10 has another multi bid year.

Dayton is a young team starting two freshman and has an Ohio State transfer sitting out. They've lost 7 games by a total off 11 points, so I think some are overreacting to their current season.

Smee
03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I don't know why all the negativity about Dayton. While it may or may not be true that they are coming next year, this is a fairly good program that could become a very good program. They have laid the groundwork. They have a nice on-campus arena. They support the team very well. They have invested in a good coach. They will be in the top half of the league for attendance.

This would be a good addition when all is said and done and I see them moving toward the top of the league quicker than a few of the 7. I think the team is going to mature and be pretty good next year as they are very young...but the real issue is the commitment to basketball and I believe they are very committed.

Bob

Goose85
03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I guess I'm being too negative about Dayton. My point is you don't have to rush to add Dayton, you can make sure all the C7 members agree on why certain schools are added and certain schools are not.

For me I just rank Dayton lower than the others and I will admit it may be mostly just on personal choice, as I'm sure all could make a case for what they bring to the table.

Creighton v. Dayton - I would choose Creighton. Creighton will have 8 NCAA tourney appearances since 2000 (Dayton 4), great attendance, link to MU.

St. Louis v. Dayton - I would choose SLU. SLU will have 3 tourney appearances since 2000 (Dayton 4) so that is similar. Both had very good attendance figures in late 1990's early 2000's. These seem to be very similar programs, I just choose St. Louis as it is a major league city which I find to be more attractice.

I like the Richomond Virginia market as a new east coast market for the league, yet close to G'town, so I would like either over Dayton for that reason.

VCU -VCU based on new market, but really due to recent success with three different head coaches.

Richmond v. Dayton - Richmond mostly based on new market, and more sports offered including lacrosse (might be a big deal to Georgetown who has more sports than any of the C7). Three tourney appearances since 2000 with a Sweet 16 in 2011. Similar appearances to Dayton.

So it is not so much that I don't like Dayton, it is more I choose the other schools when looking at them in head to head.

TulsaWarrior
03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
With the new Pope now in place I think it changes the range of schools the C7/New Big East should be considering for expansion. Here's my suggested list. All the schools are in Argentina and this may require a division set-up. Big East North/Big East South

• Catholic University of Córdoba (Spanish: Universidad Católica de Córdoba):
• Catholic University of Santa Fe (Spanish: Universidad Católica de Santa Fe):
• Buenos Aires Institute of Technology (Spanish: Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires):
• Catholic University of Salta (Spanish: Universidad Católica de Salta):
• Catholic University of Santiago del Estero (Spanish: Universidad Católica de Santiago del Estero):
• Saint Paul's University (Spanish: Universidad de San Pablo):
• Saint Thomas Aquinas University of the North (Spanish: Universidad del Norte Santo Tomás de Aquino):
Catholic University of Cuyo (Spanish: Universidad Católica de Cuyo):

MU/Panther
03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
While Dayton is in the mix, I do not believe this to be true. I'm sure Dayton is in the mix for school number #12.

TrevorCandelino
03-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Remember when Dayton wouldnt give up the conference tournament in the old MCC days? Screw Dayton.