PDA

View Full Version : A statement from the BB-7 Presidents....

IWB
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Media Release from Scott Kuykendall, Marquette University:

March 12, 2013 - The Presidents of the Big East Conference this morning formally approved an agreement that will allow the seven basketball schools - DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova – to establish a new conference that will begin play in the 2013-14 academic year under the "Big East" name.

The seven basketball schools, which include many of the original founding schools of the Big East, have unanimously established the goal of continuing the storied legacy and time-honored traditions of athletic competition so closely associated with the Big East, including being the home of the very best college basketball in the nation.

Details about the expected broadcast media deal, season-ending tournament and additional members of the new conference will be announced in the near future.

TheSultan
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I wish "near future" meant at Noon eastern time today....but alas....

ge1974
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
I think they may be waiting for the A -10 and Big East post-season tournies to conclude to limit any distratctions.

CaribouJim
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
When would they determine a Commissioner - I assume that would be fairly quick - no later than after the NCAA's? Would there be smokestacks involved? How do they determine who it is? Use a head hunter and come up with the candidates and the presidents vote?

IWB
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
My guess is that they already have a commissioner in mind. They have been at this for a while, so I think they have their plan in place.

I would have said Dan Gavitt would be the choice, but he took a job with the NCAA last year as the VP of the men's basketball championships.

CaribouJim
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
My guess is that they already have a commissioner in mind. They have been at this for a while, so I think they have their plan in place.

I would have said Dan Gavitt would be the choice, but he took a job with the NCAA last year as the VP of the men's basketball championships.

Last question - do we assume the HQ will be in NYC? Maybe even right in MSG although I don't know the office space situation there?

TheSultan
03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
I think I read somewhere that the commissioners office is likely going to be in Washington DC. No doubt Georgetown running that aspect of things.

CaribouJim
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow - kind of wish it was NYC, but G-Town definitely has the leverage I guess.

IWB
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
No idea where it will be, but NYC would make the most sense if the Tourney will be at MSG every year. DC is great, and is the nation's capital, but New York is, well, New York.

In reality is doesn't matter where it is. Hell, they could all work from home as far as I care.

TedBaxter
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Wow - kind of wish it was NYC, but G-Town definitely has the leverage I guess.

I don't want it in D.C. for this very reason. Put it in New York City.

MUfan12
03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd love for them to get Greg Shaheen as commish.

The Reptile
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
The league office should be in NY Tri State Area, in close proximity to Fox Sports and the other media/advertising companies.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
In reality where the building is physically located doesn't really matter. It's not like if we were located next to FOX news it would do anything for us, we live in a high tech world where we could video conference into their building if needed and regardless of if your neighbors or even sharing a tenant space (as mentioned with MSG) it boils down to relationships and money. Doesn't matter if we are located in Milwaukee, NYC, DC, or somewhere stupid like Kansas. Honestly I didn't even know the current BE headquarters is in Providence because it doesn't matter, it's an office building where the commish will have a desk, paperwork will be filed, and memos will be sent out from. What is going to matter for this league is what the masses see, where are games being played, are they on national TV, good teams? Good atmosphere?

Goose85
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Nothing new really - but I do love the picture with this article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21860337/catholic-7-announce-dissolution-from-big-east

Litehouse
03-12-2013, 02:43 PM
The league office should be in NY Tri State Area, in close proximity to Fox Sports and the other media/advertising companies.

Isn't Fox Sports based in Charlotte?

GOMU1104
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
The HQ are in LA with another main office in Houston and Atlanta.