PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Matchups

Goose85
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Crazy year, that is for sure, and with an off game almost anyone in the tourney (12 seed and better) is capable of winning a few games. This year could be wide open.

So despite the idea that MU could have a down game and lose to almost anyone, which teams would you like to see on the other side of the tourney bracket from MU (don't want to face unless final 4)?

I would be happy to see Louisville (possible #1 seed), Kansas (possible #2 seed) and Florida (possible #3 seed) on the other side of 32.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
louisville and miami

both have quality size, are more athletic than us and have a pg that would give junior fits on both ends of the floor

warriorfan4life
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
louisville and miami

both have quality size, are more athletic than us and have a pg that would give junior fits on both ends of the floor

We make fun of DePaul and rightfully so mostly, but they successfully recruited the likely ACC player of the year (Shane Larkin) before he bolted prior to ever suiting up there. I think they win more then two conference games with Larkin.

I want no part of Michigan because of the Burke-Junior mismatch and their ability to hit threes (and Stauskas hits a couple more threes then Marco Bourgault) and SLU (because of their ability to turn teams over).

Edit: Seeing Glock's bracket, we can add VCU to that list. I can see us turning it over on half our possessions in that game.

Markedman
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Yep I want no part of 3/6 matchup with VCU.

Seems unlikely that we would have to play Florida or Louisville before the round of 8.

Id' like to avoid the big 10 teams if possible(other then UW who I would be fine seeing again)

Orlando
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I want no part of any team with a dominating shot blocker. If we can't score in the paint, we are going to struggle. Also teams with great shot blockers can really extend their defense without fear of getting punished. Long periods of extended defense in the half court really hurt us. My biggest fear is a half court trapping team with a dominating big man protecting the rim.

Believe it or not, I think a VCU matchup would be good for us. They don't have anyone protecting the rim and their interior defense is very suspect. The thing that makes pressure against us most effective is when we are afraid to attack after breaking it. We struggle with the pressure coming from behind after initially breaking it. When we are in attack mode, we actually handle pressure quite well. This is why we struggle at the end of games when we are protecting leads. We break the pressure, but we don't attack, because the situation dictates that we don't shoot quickly. We don't have that guard that can play keep away in the half court and the passing lanes are smaller in the half court.

There is a reason that Louisville and Florida are the only two teams that pressured us the whole game. They had dominating shot blockers protecting the basket and they were not afraid of us attacking the rim. Teams that don't have that know that we can punish them if they extend their defense full court. Most teams don't pressure us until we start becoming clock conscious. That is not just bad coaching on their part. Teams know we are dangerous in an up-tempo free flowing game.

MUMac
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Good observation Orlando. That is why I thought we struggled with SJU on Saturday. The interior shot blocker caused troubles. MU adjusted in the 2nd half, a bit, but you have to be perfect on your shot against a shot blocker. That also makes Gardner disappear, as he is less effective against a long armed shot blocker.

MU_Iceman
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I fear no one....bring them on. I hope the team doesn't feel the way some fans do. I will take my chances against anyone with this team. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Orlando
03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I fear no one....bring them on. I hope the team doesn't feel the way some fans do. I will take my chances against anyone with this team. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Don't worry we all believe that Marquette is the most supreme team on the planet and is incapable of losing to anyone as long as we play to our potential. You have converted all of us. We have no flaws and we will dominate everybody. We don't fear anyone either. This is just a hypothetical discussion about what we would fear if Marquette was a normal team with flaws. Thank God we are not. And thanks for showing us the way. Is there a shade of color we should type with when we are being hypothetical in the future. That way you would not have to interject when we have our hypothetical discussions about flaws. I wouldn't want you to needlessly worry that we aren't giving Marquette the respect they deserve.

MU_Iceman
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't worry we all believe that Marquette is the most supreme team on the planet and is incapable of losing to anyone as long as we play to our potential. You have converted all of us. We have no flaws and we will dominate everybody. We don't fear anyone either. This is just a hypothetical discussion about what we would fear if Marquette was a normal team with flaws. Thank God we are not. And thanks for showing us the way. Is there a shade of color we should type with when we are being hypothetical in the future. That way you would not have to interject when we have our hypothetical discussions about flaws. I wouldn't want you to needlessly worry that we aren't giving Marquette the respect they deserve.

I'm just sayin'. They play to their potential, they can beat anyone. If they don't, they can't beat anyone. The team is flawed, but so will be the other 67 teams in the tournament. Unless you can come up with one(some) that aren't?? How about thinking of it in terms of teams fearing seeing MU on their side of the bracket?? I just choose to take a positive attitude. That's why they lace them up, isn't it?? Any given day...TCU beat Kansas, S. Florida beat Georgetown. MU makes shots(and by the way they had the highest shooting % in the BE) they are a tough out.

ValiantSailor
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm just sayin'. They play to their potential, they can beat anyone. If they don't, they can't beat anyone.

Yes, but...even if MU plays to their potential there are teams we cannot beat if those teams play to their potential. For us to win it all, we need to be good AND lucky.

VS

Orlando
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm just sayin'. They play to their potential, they can beat anyone. If they don't, they can't beat anyone. The team is flawed, but so will be the other 67 teams in the tournament. Unless you can come up with one(some) that aren't?? How about thinking of it in terms of teams fearing seeing MU on their side of the bracket?? I just choose to take a positive attitude. That's why they lace them up, isn't it?? Any given day...TCU beat Kansas, S. Florida beat Georgetown. MU makes shots(and by the way they had the highest shooting % in the BE) they are a tough out.

Because this was the question from the original post that we were responding to: "So despite the idea that MU could have a down game and lose to almost anyone, which teams would you like to see on the other side of the tourney bracket from MU (don't want to face unless final 4)?"

If you would like us to answer your question, try asking without being so condescending.

Markedman
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
If it doesn't matter who we play then why does it matter what seed we get?

We all want MU to play as long as possible...favorable draws make it easier for that to happen....it's not rocket science.

TheSultan
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Then why even engage in this discussion?