PDA

View Full Version : MU up to #13 in Coaches Poll

IWB
03-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Marquette up #12 in AP Poll, #13 in Coaches Poll

LINK (http://www.brewcityball.com/MU_rankings.php)

Markedman
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
12th in AP......So finished the regular season at the highest rankings in both Polls and the highest RPI(11) of the season......very nice

Nukem2
03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Congrats to Buzz and the team on a terrific regular season. Now lets do a couple deep tourney runs. :)

KMWTRUCKS
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I think our best chance to get a 3 is Beat ND and Have N Mex lose their 1st of 2nd game? I know they have a good RPI but the reality is the teams the have beat or lost to are not in Ville, FL, Cuse,Gtown, Type of teams. Unless OSU loses there 1st game and we win out 1st we are not jumping them I don't think. They are playing well.

Goose85
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Great to see the 12/13 ranking at the end of the regular season, and the #9 ranking in CBS. All justified based on the teams accomplishments as well as my estimation of this years college hoop landscape.

Last polls to come out before selection Sunday, and I don't think there will be too much movement on our #11 RPI either.

At least one win in the conference tourney and it is all good heading into Selection Sunday.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
It's going to be very tough to jump to a 3 seed, especially without beating Louisville. Sure OSU could lose their first game but they have been hot lately. If we both win our first games and lose our seconds I think they get the nod. Crazier things have happened though.

Markedman
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Some people(Glockner for one) have us on the 3 line right now....I'm not saying we will get a 3 but depending on who you believe we might already be there.

I really don't care.....Would like to avoid VCU in round 2 if possible though...Gockner has them as the 6 in our bracket.

MU_Iceman
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Okay, as everyone knows I do NOT like Wisconsin at all...but seriously, I don't care what team it is, how the hell do you stay ranked with 10 losses?? Not only that...but you had a week where you got blasted by Purdue at home, and then got blasted on the road at MSU, and got purely lucky to beat a bad Penn State team?? Is college BB REALLY that bad this year?? :confused:

ValiantSailor
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
It's going to be very tough to jump to a 3 seed, especially without beating Louisville. Sure OSU could lose their first game but they have been hot lately. If we both win our first games and lose our seconds I think they get the nod. Crazier things have happened though.

We cannot depend on others to do our work. If our team wants a three-seed, then they need to be playing on Saturday; and winning that game would be nice.

VS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately you sort of have to, what happens if OSU and New Mexico also win theirs?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Most likely though if MU takes care of business and is playing on Saturday someone will trip up, that said though it will take a little luck for the other teams to trip up too.

Markedman
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
You don't like Wisconsin?

Never knew that...you have done a great job of hiding it over all these years..........

Okay, as everyone knows I do NOT like Wisconsin at all...but seriously, I don't care what team it is, how the hell do you stay ranked with 10 losses?? Not only that...but you had a week where you got blasted by Purdue at home, and then got blasted on the road at MSU, and got purely lucky to beat a bad Penn State team?? Is college BB REALLY that bad this year?? :confused:

MU_Iceman
03-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow, it's eery just how similar OSU's and MU's resume's are...let's take a look, shall we??

OSU

Overall 23 - 7
Home 16 - 2
Away 5 - 5
Neutral 2 - 0
Conference 13 - 5
Non-Conf. 10 - 2

Record Vs.

RPI
1-50 6 - 7
51-100 2 - 0
101-200 10 - 0
201+ 5 - 0

RPI-14
SOS-13

MU

Record
Overall 23 - 7
Home 16 - 0
Away 5 - 6
Neutral 2 - 1
Conference 14 - 4
Non-Conf. 9 - 3

Record Vs.

RPI
1-50 7 - 5
51-100 3 - 1
101-200 9 - 1
201+ 4 - 0

RPI-11
SOS-12

I mean depending on what you value as a committee member, you could make a case for either one of these teams to be a #3 seed. MU won their conference, one one more game in their conference, has a better record vs. the RPI top 100, a slightly better RPI and SOS. Both overall records are identical(23-7), Road records are a virtual wash..strikingly similar resume's. The ONLY significant difference i see is MU had the bad loss to UWGB, while Ohio State had none.

Take your pick.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
The selection committee has said a few times they don't take into account conference affiliation nor do they look at your conference record. So technically the fact that we tied for Big East champs means very little, it's all about who you played and who you beat. That said when you look at the top 50 losses of Ohio St. They have one each to the #1, #5, #7 and #8 ranked team, that's tough to hold against them. As for their top 25 wins they have 4 to MU's 2... These teams are so close though and that shows in the bracket matrix, it will be really interesting to see how the committee views them come Sunday, that said a win against ND and UL certainly wouldn't hurt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/OHIOST/MARQET

KMWTRUCKS
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
If it was me today, I would put OSU on the 3 line before us. I think the better argument would be moving NM down.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
At this stage I'm less worried about our seed and more worried about what site we will be at. Swapping places with OSU could help us stay closer, swapping with New Mexico likely wont do a ton. I am hoping we can somehow get to Auburn Hills (doubtful), Lexington, Dayton, or Kansas City. Those are all reasonable driving distance for me.