PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Column on the "new" Big East

CaribouJim
03-08-2013, 09:28 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/lopresti/2013/03/08/big-east-divorce-catholic-7-seven/1970967/

But here's the thing about the Catholic 7. Big names, big traditions, but not much in the way of tournament fireworks lately. Connecticut, a school left behind, has done most of the heavy lifting. The Catholic 7 haven't produced a national champion in 26 years. They have accounted for only three appearances in the Final Four in the past 23 springs — or five fewer than Duke.

It is rather shocking to think the new Big East would increase its total number of Final Fours this century by 67% if Butler were added.

They'll need a keener appreciation for the world west of the Appalachians.

The new Big East will still be Big, but much less East. If the above schools all join as expected, that means seven of the 12 members — 58% of the league — will be closer to Chicago than New York City.

I wonder if behind closed doors G-Town is pushing for Richmond in lieu of a Dayton for example to even things out a bit geographically.

Goose85
03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/lopresti/2013/03/08/big-east-divorce-catholic-7-seven/1970967/

I wonder if behind closed doors G-Town is pushing for Richmond in lieu of a Dayton for example to even things out a bit geographically.

Very good point Caribou

East
Georgetown
Villanova
Providence
St. Johns
Seton Hall

Not so East
MU
DePaul
Xavier
Butler
Creighton (if the Blue Jay's are #10)

That is 5 east and 5 not so east

SLU - Not so East
Dayton - Not so East
Richmond - Very East
VCU - Very East (I know, likely not in)

I guess I am warming up to the idea of Richmond to balance out East and Not so East. More sport offerings too, including Lax.

CaribouJim
03-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I just want to keep G-Town happy in case down the road a suitor comes calling.

TheSultan
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
When push comes to shove, I think if the "western" schools get Creighton and St. Louis in, that no one is really going to go to bat for Dayton.

IrwinFletcher
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
When push comes to shove, I think if the "western" schools get Creighton and St. Louis in, that no one is really going to go to bat for Dayton.

Or...if Creighton and SLU are added, let those Eastern most schools be the main deciders of who the 12th member would be as they would most likely be in the Eastern division.

Litehouse
03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
or...if creighton and slu are added, let those eastern most schools be the main deciders of who the 12th member would be as they would most likely be in the eastern division.

No Divisions!!!

CaribouJim
03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
No Divisions!!!

+ infinity!!!!

Goose85
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Not a fan of divisions. Just pointing out that of the C7, five are east coast so I'm sure when there is talk of adding schools they would prefer at least one of the five new schools (assuming the conference goes to 12) be from the east coast, which is why Richmond gets attention.

IWB
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
From my understanding, it sounds like MU is fighting for Creighton. Georgetown is fighting for Richmond.

No one else if fighting for anyone.

At least that is how it seems to me.

dubs98
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
why is georgetown so insistent on richmond? Is it geography? Do they have some form of relationship with folks at richmond? I get the mu/creighton connection and it seems as though there must be a relationship of some sort to have them push so hard for richmond and I have not seen a great reason yet.

IrwinFletcher
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
+ infinity!!!!

Unfortunately, if you go to 12 or more teams, you will more than likely have divisions. Otherwise you will have unbalanced schedules.

CaribouJim
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
why is georgetown so insistent on richmond? Is it geography? Do they have some form of relationship with folks at richmond? I get the mu/creighton connection and it seems as though there must be a relationship of some sort to have them push so hard for richmond and I have not seen a great reason yet.

I'm assuming geography and I think that is reasonable from their perspective and their seniority in the league. Less travel.

dubs98
03-08-2013, 05:36 PM
they are in the same area as vcu correct? Is vcu out of the discussion simply b/c they are a public institution? seemed like vcu was a hot topic initially, but has faded. not sure if they are completely out of the discussion or just not likely. i am still torn if I would want vcu in simply as I would love for us to target shaka IF Buzz were ever to leave. I am not sure if he would be interested in returning to WI, but it would certainly make it much easier to go after him if he was not in our conference. On the other hand, it would be a lot of fun to have their program in the conference. Guess we'll see.

I'm assuming geography and I think that is reasonable from their perspective and their seniority in the league. Less travel.

CaribouJim
03-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, if you go to 12 or more teams, you will more than likely have divisions. Otherwise you will have unbalanced schedules.

...and there is nothing wrong with that - we've had an unbalanced schedule for MU's entire existence in the BE with a one division format. 12 teams - 5 mirror games on a rotating basis - 16 conference games and 2 high profile non-conference games - one home, one away to market the league and to build the collective RPI.