PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis give Buzz BE COY

CaribouJim
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Big East
POY: Otto Porter, 6-8 sophomore forward, Georgetown. This was an easy one. Porter was the most dominant and versatile player on the best team in the conference. He ranks second in the Big East in scoring (18.9), fourth in steals (1.8), sixth in rebounding (7.3) and seventh in field goal percentage (50.0). He is also -- get this -- second in three-point percentage (44.8). I know Jeff Green was terrific, but I think Porter is the best player John Thompson III has coached at Georgetown.
COY: Buzz Williams, Marquette. It was not easy deciding between Williams and JT3, especially given that the Hoyas lost their second-leading scorer and rebounder, Greg Whittington, to academics last month. But at least Thompson has the league's best player at his disposal. Williams has no such thing. In fact, he may not have an all-conference player on his roster, although 6-8 junior forward Davante Gardner is making a late push. I also like the way Williams has developed 6-4 junior Vander Blue into a mature, dependable point guard. More than any other team in the Top 25, the Golden Eagles win games by embracing an identity centered on toughness and chemistry. That is a direct reflection of that bald, zany (but well-dressed) guy on the sidelines.
ROY: Ryan Arcidiacono, 6-3 freshman point guard, Villanova. This was not a banner year for Big East freshmen. Arcidiacono got the nod over the two candidates from St. John's (Jakarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa), as well as over Pitt center Steven Adams and UConn guard Omar Calhoun. That's because Arcidiacono had far more responsibilities than any of those players -- and for the most part, he handled them well. He has been especially effective down the stretch, failing to reach double figures just twice in the last nine games and eclipsing the 20-point mark three times.

Point Guard for Vander???

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130307/hoop-thoughts/#ixzz2MtLsC1kn