PDA

View Full Version : Can MU get a 3 seed?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on if MU can secure a 3 seed again this year? I'd say right now we are on the outside looking in, but hopefully some teams will stumble in conference tournaments and give us a shot?

warriorfan4life
03-06-2013, 09:58 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on if MU can secure a 3 seed again this year? I'd say right now we are on the outside looking in, but hopefully some teams will stumble in conference tournaments and give us a shot?

Glockner had us as a 3 seed in his latest bracket.

lj854
03-06-2013, 09:59 PM
The bracket matrix pegs us as the first four seed if you exclude the brackets that haven't been updated for last weekend's games. Very doable.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I think getting a 3 is the key to keeping us close to home, on the 4 line I think we drop out to the south or west

MU_Iceman
03-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Miami just lost at home tonight to Georgia Tech. That is sure to cause some "shifting" amongst the top 12 seeds.

DCwarrior
03-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Miami just lost at home tonight to Georgia Tech. That is sure to cause some "shifting" amongst the top 12 seeds.

St. Louis and Ok. St. lost as well tonight, which helps. We beat St. John's and 1 in the BE tourney, and I think we should get a 3. Make it to the finals and I think a 3 is a given. Win the BE tourney, and a 2 is probable.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
No way Miami drops that far down with one loss, they are still a 2 seed at this point. According to bracket matrix these are the top 16:

1. Indiana (Dayton)
2. Duke (Lexington)
3. Kansas (Kansas City)
4. Gonzaga (Salt Lake City)
5. Miami (Lexington)
6. Georgetown (Philly)
7. Louisville (Lexington)
8. Florida (Lexington)
9. Michigan (Auburn Hills)
10. New Mexico (Salt Lake City)
11. Michigan State (Auburn Hills)
12. Kansas State (Kansas City)
13. Marquette (Dayton?)
14. Arizona (San Jose)
15. Syracuse (Philly)
16. Oklahoma State (Kansas City)

I added in parenthesis the sites the respective teams would likely prefer to be seeded at if given the closest draw. Given this I look at the four closest sites for travel purposes are KC, Dayton, Lexington, and Auburn Hills. Given the log jam of teams that will be battling to go to Lexington I think MU needs to pass up K-State and get into the KC site.

ValiantSailor
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Can Marquette get a 3-seed? Yes, with help, plus we'd need to play in the finals of the BET. Winning the BET would be better. My question is: would it be worth the wear and tear of three games in three days to have a one-line seed bump?

VS

MUMac
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Can Marquette get a 3-seed? Yes, with help, plus we'd need to play in the finals of the BET. Winning the BET would be better. My question is: would it be worth the wear and tear of three games in three days to have a one-line seed bump?

VS

With the depth of MU this year, the wear and tear would be lessened. Heck, just watching highlights of some of the practices Buzz has, the games may actually save on the wear and tear! ;)

CaribouJim
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
With the depth of MU this year, the wear and tear would be lessened. Heck, just watching highlights of some of the practices Buzz has, the games may actually save on the wear and tear! ;)

Agreed and it sure didn't hurt Kemba and UCONN two years ago. As far as I am concerened the NCAA tourney starts now. Statistics show, the better your seed the better your chances of winning it all.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
That and one seed line makes a difference. As a four seed we will likely be headed south or west. I think we need to play closer to home. Also as 4 seed you play a 5 in the second round and as a 3 you play a 6 seed, that can be a big difference in the quality of team depending on who it is... Always better to be a higher seed.

KMWTRUCKS
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
1. Indiana (Dayton)
2. Duke (Lexington)
3. Kansas (Kansas City)
4. Gonzaga (Salt Lake City)
5. Miami (Lexington)
6. Georgetown (Philly)
7. Louisville (Lexington)
8. Florida (Lexington)
9. Michigan (Auburn Hills)

I think these teams are pretty much 3 or higher even if they lose 2 games.

Mich St plays Wis at Home tonight and NW on the Road.
K ST plays OK st, and if they win they will get a 3. If OK St wins they are both a 4.
NM plays at AF so you can hope for a upset but that would seem unlikely.
Ohio St plays at ILL, Ohio State is playing well doubtful
MU at ST John's, We should win but on the road anything can happen.

I think the 3 seeds will come from those 5.

I personally don't think the Conf Tournament is as big as the regular season unless you win the tournament. I say that because we could beat St John and lose the 1st game in the tournament and still end up a 3, but could win the tournament and jump all the way to a 2.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Honestly if you look at MSU and New Mexico's resumes they are pretty much a lock. New Mexico could even be considered for a two. It's that good.

I think MU is jockeying with KSU for the final 3 spot and the last remaining spot in Kansas City. Hopefully MU can win that battle but I think down the stretch we need to do one better than KSU. So if they lose Saturday we just need to match them.

Markedman
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
New Mexico will be an interesting case to follow. Does the SC give the Mountain West the respect it would typically give the #1 RPI conference or not? The only impressive win in the non conference for them is UCONN unless you count Davidson(lost to UWM) and USC.

Personally I'm not sold on them as a 2/3 seed but they may very well get it.

My guess is if MU wins Saturday and gets 1 in the BET they will be a 3 or a 4. Either would be fair IMO.If they go to the title game it's hard to see them not being a 3 but anything is possible.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I think we are locked in at a 4 at the lowest, we have 3 seed potential but it will take a mix of us doing well and someone else not doing anything great. For example they have Arizona behind us, but if they win the P12 tournament championship they would likely jump us. Same with KSU, and both of those are possible. That's why we need to make sure we have the best possible tournament we can.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
You can lock in MSU as at least a 3 seed after tonight.