PDA

View Full Version : Larry Williams Article in JS

Gato78
03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Bizarre piece. Sounds like he is taking shots at Buzz over the WVU 2 step. Sounds like he is not happy about the Lacrosse situation. No hugging between he and Buzz yesterday in the post game though Fr. Pilarz and Buzz embraced enthusiatically. Mayber Buzz and Larry are at odds? Article was either a hatchet job or something not quite right. I am betting on hatchet job.

TulsaWarrior
03-04-2012, 09:17 AM
My bet is poor writing. I think larry Williams wants to protect Buzz from overheating. Coach is intense to a point I worry about a heart attack sometimes. As for Lacrosse -- that a lot of money. Will it be a financial drain? Can the sport be part of a TV package for the Big East? I believe that was the thinking when it was added. I covered sports out at the University of Virginia and Lacross attracted some pretty good crowds.

Eventually for minor sports that don't generate enough to pay for themselves I see a regional schedule that limits travel costs.

MayorBeluga
03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
A few things stood out about the article. LW appears to not be convinced about the wisdom of adding lacrosse. The doubts sem to be financially based. He mentions MU would never have scheduled women's soccer against Houston because of travel cost. Wel, there are essentially no Midwest schools playing lacrosse so non-conference travel costs will be high. Plus we added the sport before the massive upheaval in the Big East. Things have changed since the addition. Des it still make sense?

As for the comments about Buzz's dancing, well, he just sounds like a boss. Part of his job is to focus on image and there are some out there who thought the dance was unprofessional.

CaribouJim
03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I had no problem with the article and I'm glad he sounded like a boss - as much as I like Buzz, Larry is his boss and it was refreshing that he said he was uncomfortable with the dance, but it still sounds like he still has Buzz's back and it was even more refreshing to be so open about the larcosse situation. The more I read about Larry, the more I like.

IWB
03-04-2012, 11:17 AM
An odd story. He criticizes Buzz' two step, yet, in a way, takes a shot at the Big East bringing in Houston. How is that different?

Goose85
03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Makes it sound like for the money we are putting into Lacrosse we could have thought about football (from Larry's perspective).

Gato78
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Lacrosse is only being funded with partial scholarships. It has a strategic advantage of keeping MU in traditional student recruiting areas liike suburban Chicago and suburban NYC. It was also meant to tie MU into the BIG EAST greater than schools like Seton Hall and DePaul who have less invested in the conference. I think it was well conceived until everything blew up in the BIG EAST.

wiscwarrior
03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Who in the Big East has a Lacrosse team besides Syracuse and ND?

Goose85
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Men's lacrosse - ND, Villanova, Syracuse, Rutgers, G'town, Providence, St. John's - soon MU.

Women's lacrosse - G'town, UConn, ND, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova, Loyola MD - soon MU and Temple.

wiscwarrior
03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Makes it sound like for the money we are putting into Lacrosse we could have thought about football (from Larry's perspective).

As much as I'd like MU football, maybe not. He's talking about 80 scholarships for men and women. It would be 85 scholarships for men's football alone.

MUAlphaBangura
03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Was at a function before the at UCONN game where LW was speaking and some tool asked him about bringing football back. He stated he would if said tool would write him a check for $250 million. I turned and laughed at the guy(I don't discriminate in my mocking).

MayorBeluga
03-04-2012, 01:56 PM
MUAlpha has always been an equal opportunity mocker.

mufansince72
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Did you see those two high fiving in West Virgininia? No issues there in my estimation.

Markedman
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
The thing that I found bizarre is they actually asked him or he commented on his own that he wants Buzz "back".

What? Really.....is this news?.....The guy is under a long term contract and has us ranked in the top 10, made the sweet 16 last year and this even needs to be commented on?

IWB
03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
That comment really struck me too.

Gato78
03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
That is why I started this thread. It was an odd comment. I am curious if that was taken a bit out of context, whether it is poor wording by Larry or is there an issue.

wiscwarrior
03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
The article made me wonder just how far this "review" of athletics could take us... I didn't feel comfortable with the tone

IWB
03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
As for as the possible "hatchet job", I know Don Walker. He is not that way. Sure, he has written an article or two that did not make MU fans happy, but he is a straight shooter. Reports on the business of things - actually an MU fan.

IWB
03-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Ok, here is one thing I don't like about JS Online. When we update stories here, it will say, "updated 3/5/2012 at 7:48 am. JS Online does not do that. The reason why I mention that, is it appears the comment has been adjusted. Now it says, "I expect Buzz back. Want him back," Williams said. "I think we started something good with him. . . . I'd be excited to help him grow as a coach."

Yesterday it did not say "want him back". I am not 100% positive, but I believe it said, "We hope to have him back".

Having worked at the Journal I know this happens often, at times when someone realizes a mistake, but often when the subject of the article takes issue with it. Can only guess why this one changed.

MUMac
03-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I did not read the article until sunday evening, after I read this thread. I took the comments differently than most here have (maybe due to an expectation driven by this thread). In the paper copy, it did say "Want him back". I took those specific comments to be in a response to a question about how Buzz is on the radar of other programs with coaching vacancies. Could be mistaken, but that is the way I read it.

As for the dancing comments, they seemed to flow into a larger statement that Williams was trying to make. From what I have heard, Buzz was embarassed (maybe too strong a word) by the incident and fall out. Larry seemed to poorly mesh his comments into being concerned about "burn out" with Buzz. I see where he was headed, but probably should have dusted off the dance comments a little better.

IWB
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I found the original quote, it did say "We hope to have him back".

That is a big difference.

On another note, what are the members of the lacrosse team thinking right now?

Hamostradamus
03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
They are thinking, "I better have a plan B."

Goose85
03-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I was shocked he said something to the effect that no way would they have ever scheduled Houston. Really, was that a shot at the Big East for adding Houston? We are not a football school, so we better tread lightly when questioning the Big East's motives for adding Houston (a good football team, putting $$$ into athletics, a huge media market).

MUMac
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
The La Crosse and Houston comments should not have been made, IMHO. I agree, if I am a La Crosse athlete/coach, I wonder what is going on. If I am a recruit, I would look far away from Marquette with that type of commitment.

The Houston comment is not only a slap at the BE, it also gives the "small time program" feeling. I understand the money concept, but if MU is that tight on funds, then you have to wonder if they are a big time program or small time program. With all that is going on in the BCS and conference reallignments, comments like these will not be helpful.

IWB
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
The shot at the Big East about Houston was also joined with a shot at the Big East for adding San Diego State for football....

"This isn't pro sports. This isn't the NFL where you have regional conferences and everything else," Williams said. "This is a marrying of academic efforts and athletic efforts and if you stray too far, man, I don't know this is going to be a good end.

"This whole thing is being driven not by the best interests of the student-athlete, but how can we offset their costs or line our pockets," Williams added, fully aware that Marquette is on the outside looking in on the football-centric decisions being made in the Big East.

Is this true? Sure it is, but why would the Big East's newest athletic director be slapping the conference in the face at this critical point in conference realignment? Makes no sense. And Buzz needs to channel and control his emotion?

Buzz has taken a decimated team and built them into a consistent NCAA team, a team that has produced 3 consecutive NBA players, a team that is now ranked #7 in the country and finished in second place in the Big East without a post player. Buzz has flipped recruiting from "Who can we get" to "who should we take".....

I think he has earned the right to be emotional.

Goose85
03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I miss Steve Cottingham.

wiscwarrior
03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
It was not the comments about Buzz that made me uncomfortable with the tone. It was the negative outlook of our new AD that caused the discomfort. A CEO that does not have a positive outlook regarding his current market might look to new "markets" where he feels better able to compete. I hope we're not going to become Detroit or Loyola...

CaribouJim
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
It was not the comments about Buzz that made me uncomfortable with the tone. It was the negative outlook of our new AD that caused the discomfort. A CEO that does not have a positive outlook regarding his current market might look to new "markets" where he feels better able to compete. I hope we're not going to become Detroit or Loyola...

I doubt highly that was his intent - why would he want us to become a Detroit or Loyola - that would be a career killer. He is just editorializing on the conference cluster&*^% shuffle. It sucks big time. I think we are in good hands with him.

Hamostradamus
03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I think we are in good hands with him.

The jury is still out on that, I don't think he has done anythig yet to warrant my confidence.

TrevorCandelino
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I woke up Sunday morning still feeling giddy about Saturday's game....the whole Bradley Center environment was fantastic....Still felt good as I pulled out the JS sports page to read the recap....Then I saw the adjacent article about Larry Williams.....And my mood instantly changed....

It was a strange, strange article, permeating a tone of negativity that was unnecessary on a lot of levels....And for the first time in a long time, more so than all the conference realignment nonsense, I became very concerned with the long term future of MU Men's Basketball......

lougrant
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Same here. Sure seems like the new AD's going out of his way to throw his weight around. Maybe the Board can recall him.

mufansince72
03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I just read some comments on Scout that said this guy was butchering all of the big donors names at a function. That has me worried.

Hamostradamus
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I just read some comments on Scout that said this guy was butchering all of the big donors names at a function. That has me worried.

That story had me more concerned than anything. How can an AD of a Div I program not have that ironed out beforehand?

Goose85
03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
The meal ticket at MU is the basketball program and right now, the participation in the Big East. That along with the big donors make MU athletics run.
Don't mess with the various MU meal tickets Mr. Williams.

mufansince72
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
That story had me more concerned than anything. How can an AD of a Div I program not have that ironed out beforehand?

Yeah, how can you mispronounce "Dick Strong":cool:

Gato78
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Doddsy's Board has picked up on this. I hope Larry didn't think the AD's position is bigger than head BB coach.

MUMac
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Right now, I would be fine with Williams leaving - Larry that is. I suspect he will find out real soon exactly how important he is ... and it likely will not mesh with what his ego thinks. Really bad first impression.

Mark Miller
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Appeared as though Larry Williams was announcing to all that he is in charge with his comments in the J-S.

He is, but to go out and say so and in public take backhanded jabs at Buzz, the Big East, Houston and the lacrosse program is an odd way to gain support. Very odd ... and troubling on several levels.

lougrant
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Is Buzz as beloved by the Trustees as he is by the fans? Just curious to know who they'd side with if it ever came to loggerheads between Buzz and the AD.

Hamostradamus
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Is Buzz as beloved by the Trustees as he is by the fans? Just curious to know who they'd side with if it ever came to loggerheads between Buzz and the AD.

IMO, Cottingham was as good an AD as Buzz is a coach, and they thought nothing of showing him the door. Hopefully they are a little less cavalier with Buzz.

Gato78
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I will say this again: universities are odd places, not run like businesses. Faculty may be bitching like hell about the money going to athletics and may have the President's ear. Nothing surprises me. God only knows who got rid of Cottingham. Kliehban built this university with and for Fr. Wild, taking MU to unscaled heights and he is gone too. Remember, the Athletic Board hired Bob Dukiet because he was a basketball coach who played the piano and was endorsed by Billy Packer. I do not expect good business decisions from MU, though I am, at times, surprised.

Goose85
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Hopefully Buzz and Fr. Pilarz have a good relationship. I think that is the most important, right behind Dick Strong of course.

Hamostradamus
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I will say this again: universities are odd places, not run like businesses.

I have represented some folks in an academic setting...Gato, you are underselling it. Universities are unbelievably odd places. Arguments and turf wars that don't exist anywhere else are fought tooth-and-nail in Universities. That's why I never expect really smart decisions, and am pleasantly surprised when I see them. The only good thing is that the boosters ultimately drive the bus, which should help in this regard. At other universities, powerful boosters get good coaches fired.

Gato78
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I am worried about this...I am a Marquette fan, I am supposed to be worried. I was concerned at the Senior Day ceremony as Buzz and Fr. Pilarz greeted each other warmly where Buzz and Larry was not the same. Don Walker article shows up the next day. I sure as hell hope there is nothing to this and that Buzz won't be listening to other offers but I have this feeling we may be back in the Buzz to....(name the school)......

MUAlphaBangura
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I know for fact that Father Pilarz has heard from many people their concerns about the basketball program--kind of kid recruited,worries about graduation rates, transfers, problems with the student athletes getting in trouble, etc. Very concerned that Pilarz doesn't get it. LW's initial impression does not make me feel any better.

TedBaxter
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I know Bob Dukiet is the late Bob Dukiet, but Mike Deane is still out there.:p

Goose85
03-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I know for fact that Father Pilarz has heard from many people their concerns about the basketball program--kind of kid recruited,worries about graduation rates, transfers, problems with the student athletes getting in trouble, etc. Very concerned that Pilarz doesn't get it. LW's initial impression does not make me feel any better.

Hopefully he has the wisdom that Fr. Wild had in making sure the basketball program was taken care of. Pilarz and Williams better not mess with Buzz and the hoops program (obviously making sure we are clean is important) as that is what has driven so much positive at the University in the last 10 years.

Goose85
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
The more I hear, the more it sounds like Larry Williams doesn't get it. Who the hell does he think he is? He should be kissing Buzz's backside. Maybe he likes being the AD in conferences like the West Coast conference, because if you are the reason a guy like Buzz leaves, that will be your next stop.

Larry Williams won't last long if he is the guy that gets Buzz to go from "you don't mess with happy" to sure, I'd be interested in the "name that school" job in less than a few months.

IWB
03-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Good point Alpha, and this is something that really bothers me. Not long ago, I had someone who I would consider on the high end of the booster chain ask me about recruiting, and he added his concern over the Jucos. I wouldn't think I would ever have to go over all of this again, but here goes..... I will start with the "kind of kids", meaning Jucos.

Jucos:
Jae Crowder - He had the grades, but went Juco because no one recruited him.
DJO - The NCAA challenged his transcripts. He won the challenge, meaning he should have qualified out of high school, but because the NCAA took so long in their investigation (fall sports take priority) he had no choice but to go Juco. Backed up by the fact that he didn't have to stay two years.
Jimmy Butler - He had the grades, but went Juco because no one recruited him.
Dwight Buycks - This one still bothers me. Some teams stayed away from Buycks because they didn't think he would get the grades needed to qualify. But he busted his butt and did get the grades. One problem - he didn't have enough core credits. Had an academic adviser looked at everything and said, no, take science not math, take another social studies not another PE class, he would have qualified.
Joe Fulce - Now Joe is a different story - committed to Texas A&M, then followed Buzz to UNO, then Buzz left. In the end, Joe did not qualify, so he went to Juco, then followed Buzz for the third time, coming to MU.

So Joe Fulce is the only one that I would consider a 'traditional Juco'. And guess what? Joe Fulce graduated.

Transfers:
Get used to it, this is today's college basketball. What is the rate, 68% of college freshmen transfer? Something outlandish like that? Yes, MU has had a lot of transfers, but they are no different than any other program that recruits nationally. There is a reason coaches are pushing for a 'no freshmen transfer rule'.

Problems with kids getting into trouble
Yes, this is a concern, no question. It is a concern everywhere, at every school. Athletes and students alike. You can't hold their hands all the time, the best you can do is guide them in the right direction, give them the best advice you can and preach it every day. Yes, MU had two ugly 'alleged' incidents last year, I will not downplay that. Having gotten to know each and every one of these kids, they are good kids that are growing up at a much faster rate than most of us ever did.

Graduation rate:
To me this is the most important component, but at times is out of your control.
Take guys like Jimmy Butler & Lazar Hayward. You are one semester away from graduation. You are projected to be a second round pick in the NBA draft, possibly first, which means millions of dollars. Let me say that one more time, MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. The NBA scouts say you need to start training with an NBA trainer right away, and be at Portsmouth and Moody. Then you need to fly around the country and work out for NBA teams that might be interested in you. What do you do? A) Say no and finish classes B) Give it your best shot and try and get drafted? You can always come back and take classes over the summer. If you don't answer B, you are lying.

So, in the examples I have broken down above, does anyone honestly think Buzz is bringing in questionable kids and does not have these guys on the right path?

Goose85
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
That's what worries me about a guy like Larry Williams and a new president like Pilarz, or people that just think JUCO kids are the wrong way to go. Really, would you trade any of these kids for some of those top ranked kids they thumped at UConn?

JUCO's when it comes to athletics is different. I have a nephew who is a baseball player. Went to Indiana for a year (most baseball players don't have schollies and he didn't either). He didn't get a schollie for his soph year (too expensive to stay) so he is at a JUCO this year and already signed for another D1 college for next season and will be on scholarship. Yep, he will be a JUCO kid when he goes to his next school, who in his first year in college had a 4.0 at Indiana. JUCO athletes are not what most think, as IWB pointed out, when it comes to college athletics.

MUAlphaBangura
03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, perception is reality for most of these people that don't get this stuff. They equate juco to questionable kid, regardless of the facts. Hell, there are still people out there that have a problem with MU recruiting african-american kids. Sadly, many of these people are in power positions whose voice can and will be heard by the MU administration. Those people are why I follow my life motto---- expect people to be stupid- if they are, you won't be dissapointed. if they aren't, you're pleasantly surprised.

Gato78
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
IWB: Certainly Steve Cottingham understood this and got to know the kids well--had them as role models for his own children who are African-American with white, adoptive parents. That says a lot to me, perhaps more than any other statement about the character of our players. We will never know why Cottingham left MU but knowing his character, I think he was involved in one of those goofy university disputes referenced by Hamos above. Still find that hard to believe. Perhaps Larry just needs more time to get to know Buzz and the kids he recruits. I am afraid the alums referenced by AlphaBangura may not have met the players before jumping to certain conclusions.

IWB
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Gato - that was going to be my next question to AlphaBangura - Of the people you mentioned, how many of them do you think have ever really talked to, or gotten to know a player, other than the typical 'he was at our table at a luncheon' situation?

I have the benefit of running the summer Pro-Am. I make it a point to get to know every single player in the league. MU, UWM, D3, Euro players, former college players - every single one of them. I will admit, there are some I do not want back. On the bright side, there are some that surprise me, not on the court but off the court - I get to know them, and I really like them. There isn't a kid at MU that I would want to see leave.

Time for a side story.....

There is a guy who signed up for the Pro-Am mid season and was brought up off the waiting list. I would describe him as a street-baller. Didn't go to college, and I honestly don't know if he even graduated high school. Looking at him, he would be the guy that the negative people are describing. One day he had a monster game, and afterwards there were kids lined up for his autograph. His friends were laughing about the fact that someone wanted his autograph, but I sat there and watched this - not only did he sign every autograph, he talked to the kids, posed for pictures with them - etc. Fact is, it may have been cool for those kids, but it also may have been the highlight of his year. One simple thing, and my impression of him has completely changed.

If any of you know someone that has issues with any of the "Jucos" or any player that Buzz has brought in for that matter, do what you can to introduce them to one of those players - they just may be surprised.

TedBaxter
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I predict a couple things if Buzz takes a job elsewhere after this year and it gets out that he didn't have the support of the athletic or university administration. There will be plenty of lower level season tickets available and MU will have problems funding all of the sports in the coming years because of lack of contributions.

mufansince72
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
A friend of mine from Menomonee Falls is a teacher at Jae's HS in Villa Rica. I can tell you they are beaming in pride over Jae's accomplishments at MU. My friend knows that I go to a ton of MU games and has asked me on a few occasions to pass along local news reports on Jae's progress. I sent her a link to the gomarquette.com slideshow from senior day and those folks could not get enough of it.

Hamostradamus
03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I think Larry Williams is going to have to issue a statement or do another interview to put out the fire (about Buzz, about the LaCrosse team, about adding Big East members, etc.). Justified or not, you don't want three MU Hoops websites simultaneously questioning your ability to do your job 61 days into your tenure and while on the cusp of a magical (and lucrative) basketball season. Then again, smart PR was never MU's strong suit.

MUAlphaBangura
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Gato - that was going to be my next question to AlphaBangura - Of the people you mentioned, how many of them do you think have ever really talked to, or gotten to know a player, other than the typical 'he was at our table at a luncheon' situation?

I have the benefit of running the summer Pro-Am. I make it a point to get to know every single player in the league. MU, UWM, D3, Euro players, former college players - every single one of them. I will admit, there are some I do not want back. On the bright side, there are some that surprise me, not on the court but off the court - I get to know them, and I really like them. There isn't a kid at MU that I would want to see leave.

Time for a side story.....

There is a guy who signed up for the Pro-Am mid season and was brought up off the waiting list. I would describe him as a street-baller. Didn't go to college, and I honestly don't know if he even graduated high school. Looking at him, he would be the guy that the negative people are describing. One day he had a monster game, and afterwards there were kids lined up for his autograph. His friends were laughing about the fact that someone wanted his autograph, but I sat there and watched this - not only did he sign every autograph, he talked to the kids, posed for pictures with them - etc. Fact is, it may have been cool for those kids, but it also may have been the highlight of his year. One simple thing, and my impression of him has completely changed.

If any of you know someone that has issues with any of the "Jucos" or any player that Buzz has brought in for that matter, do what you can to introduce them to one of those players - they just may be surprised.

IWB, unfortunately those people think they know better and it is not even on the radar to actually learn the facts about our guys. It's a no win situation. Way too closed minded.

CaribouJim
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
What specifically do some of these people have with JUCO's? Is it a snob thing or something? Al used them to great benfit for MU as did Hank. Plus, Buzz had no real choice did he? Other than JUCO's are they worried that Buzz is not recruiting enough "traditionals"? In either case, very sad.

MUMac
03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Good point Alpha, and this is something that really bothers me. Not long ago, I had someone who I would consider on the high end of the booster chain ask me about recruiting, and he added his concern over the Jucos. I wouldn't think I would ever have to go over all of this again, but here goes..... I will start with the "kind of kids", meaning Jucos.

Jucos:
Jae Crowder - He had the grades, but went Juco because no one recruited him.
DJO - The NCAA challenged his transcripts. He won the challenge, meaning he should have qualified out of high school, but because the NCAA took so long in their investigation (fall sports take priority) he had no choice but to go Juco. Backed up by the fact that he didn't have to stay two years.
Jimmy Butler - He had the grades, but went Juco because no one recruited him.
Dwight Buycks - This one still bothers me. Some teams stayed away from Buycks because they didn't think he would get the grades needed to qualify. But he busted his butt and did get the grades. One problem - he didn't have enough core credits. Had an academic adviser looked at everything and said, no, take science not math, take another social studies not another PE class, he would have qualified.
Joe Fulce - Now Joe is a different story - committed to Texas A&M, then followed Buzz to UNO, then Buzz left. In the end, Joe did not qualify, so he went to Juco, then followed Buzz for the third time, coming to MU.

So Joe Fulce is the only one that I would consider a 'traditional Juco'. And guess what? Joe Fulce graduated.

Transfers:
Get used to it, this is today's college basketball. What is the rate, 68% of college freshmen transfer? Something outlandish like that? Yes, MU has had a lot of transfers, but they are no different than any other program that recruits nationally. There is a reason coaches are pushing for a 'no freshmen transfer rule'.

Problems with kids getting into trouble
Yes, this is a concern, no question. It is a concern everywhere, at every school. Athletes and students alike. You can't hold their hands all the time, the best you can do is guide them in the right direction, give them the best advice you can and preach it every day. Yes, MU had two ugly 'alleged' incidents last year, I will not downplay that. Having gotten to know each and every one of these kids, they are good kids that are growing up at a much faster rate than most of us ever did.

Graduation rate:
To me this is the most important component, but at times is out of your control.
Take guys like Jimmy Butler & Lazar Hayward. You are one semester away from graduation. You are projected to be a second round pick in the NBA draft, possibly first, which means millions of dollars. Let me say that one more time, MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. The NBA scouts say you need to start training with an NBA trainer right away, and be at Portsmouth and Moody. Then you need to fly around the country and work out for NBA teams that might be interested in you. What do you do? A) Say no and finish classes B) Give it your best shot and try and get drafted? You can always come back and take classes over the summer. If you don't answer B, you are lying.

So, in the examples I have broken down above, does anyone honestly think Buzz is bringing in questionable kids and does not have these guys on the right path?

IWB, you missed a step in Fulce. He did not qualify for A&M, due to grades, and went the prep route. The next year, followed Buzz to UNO and when Buzz left, he went JUCO for one year - not due to grades, but due to Buzz leaving and he would have to transfer to follow Buzz. He was in JUCO only one year, thus would not have needed JUCO to be eligible. Still, IMHO, not a traditional JUCO.

Gato78
03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
There are some who want the white guy, academic all american model in place. Marquette becomes St. Norbert College.

IWB
03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Mac - You are correct - I forgot about Massanutten Military Academy.

Mark Miller
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Marquette is an inner-city Jesuit school. Part of its mission should be to educate inner-city students so that they can turn around and make the inner city a better place to live.

It can be argued, Buzz Williams has done just that better than any other coach in the history of the men's basketball program.

Goose85
03-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Great point Mark. Buzz does fit the MU and Jesuit mission well.

TedBaxter
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.marquette.edu/president/letters-appointment-distanislao.php

Didn't know this hire had happened. Interesting.