PDA

View Full Version : The B7 made out like bandits

MU_Iceman
03-05-2013, 10:05 PM
They kept everything as was discussed previously, but what we didn't know....they keep ALL their NCAA tourney units as well. Wow!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9019093/big-east-football-schools-keep-close-110-million-league-split-according-report (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9019093/big-east-football-schools-keep-close-110-million-league-split-according-report)

As part of the Catholic 7 schools' exit agreement with the Big East, the schools will keep all of their NCAA tournament units, sources told McMurphy

MUBasketball
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Someone explain these credits to me...how much does each school in the Hoops 7 (people...do I have to go on another tirade about ceasing the "Catholic 7" talk??) get from these credits?

To me, given how large that pool of money was, I think it's pretty crazy to basically give all of it away just to get out a year early. Stay another year...Louisville, Notre Dame, UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple all make it an attractive conference for just one year...then these 7 schools get a much bigger chunk of that money. I don't see why it's so necessary to leave immediately? Unless Fox basically demands it...and if that's the case, they should cover the $$$ that all these schools left on the table for leaving in such a hurry.

Hell, UC, UConn, and USF are all getting like $30 million! Think about that. Basically the cost of the McGuire Center. They are each getting that much. That is INSANE.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I don't have the time at the moment to look at the NCAA credits but it really won't be much. I am assuming we will only get the C7 credits which means Depaul, SHU, and Providence bring nothing with, St. John's I believe has 1 (need to research to confirm) but Nova, G'town, and MU should have a decent share. Not sure how the B7 will decide to break those up or if they will share with all the new schools. We know that none of the schools coming in will get theirs so really it's not going to be considerable.

MUBasketball
03-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I don't have the time at the moment to look at the NCAA credits but it really won't be much. I am assuming we will only get the C7 credits which means Depaul, SHU, and Providence bring nothing with, St. John's I believe has 1 (need to research to confirm) but Nova, G'town, and MU should have a decent share. Not sure how the B7 will decide to break those up or if they will share with all the new schools. We know that none of the schools coming in will get theirs so really it's not going to be considerable.

OK that's about what I figured.

So yeah, like I said...the Hoops 7 schools walk away from a ton of money just to leave the conference a year early. I don't understand the logic, quite frankly. I can only assume that Fox put a lot of pressure on the schools to break away early, but like I said they better have given the schools a nice incentive to do it.

kneelb4zerg
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
OK that's about what I figured.

So yeah, like I said...the Hoops 7 schools walk away from a ton of money just to leave the conference a year early. I don't understand the logic, quite frankly. I can only assume that Fox put a lot of pressure on the schools to break away early, but like I said they better have given the schools a nice incentive to do it.

you are missing the part where the c7 bought the BE name and the rights to MSG...

MUBasketball
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
you are missing the part where the c7 bought the BE name and the rights to MSG...

Very important properties, I admit. But, are they worth as much money as the B7 left behind. *Basketball 7, Hoops 7, Big East 7....I beg you people!!!!!! Anything but C7!!! This is an athletics conference, not a religious conference*

kneelb4zerg
03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Very important properties, I admit. But, are they worth as much money as the B7 left behind. *Basketball 7, Hoops 7, Big East 7....I beg you people!!!!!! Anything but C7!!! This is an athletics conference, not a religious conference*

You are talking about all the equity built up in the name over 20 years. Maybe the TV deal isn't as good without it?

I'd say its worth it. It was only 100 million, how is Marquette going to get 30 million of that when they are one of 7 on the way out (and UCONN etc have a claim to it as well).

MUBasketball
03-05-2013, 11:22 PM
You are talking about all the equity built up in the name over 20 years. Maybe the TV deal isn't as good without it?

I'd say its worth it. It was only 100 million, how is Marquette going to get 30 million of that when they are one of 7 on the way out (and UCONN etc have a claim to it as well).

You might be right. Just looking at this from another angle.

I thought keeping MSG & the Big East name were very important, so I'm thrilled with that. Just can't help but think that 7 universities without football gave up a lot of money to accelerate this whole process. I personally dont understand the hurry (again, unless Fox basically demanded it).

The Reptile
03-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Everybody wins. We got the name, MSG, some cash and the credits. The leftovers got enough money to justify a revenue loss from the B7 in next season's TV contract. UConn, Cincy and USF have their future exit fees covered.

I'm not sure why some are upset with the distribution. These funds were reserves and were not being distributed to member schools. We were not going to see this cash anytime soon. You can't complain about money you never were going to get in the first place. Plus, nobody knows how much Fox kicked in to make this happen now.

TheSultan
03-06-2013, 08:49 AM

My understanding is that the B7 weren't due an equal share anyway -that exit fees are divided in a manner similar to how television revenue is divided. So to be honest, I don't think they paid all that much for the BE name and MSG location.

Again, here is what they got:

**Leaving early with no exit fees
**The BE name
**The MSG location
**A fat new contract from Fox (supposedly)
**$1.5 million each
**Keeping tourney shares to cover the costs of setting up a new conference

Honestly, could this have been any better???

CaribouJim
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
My understanding is that the B7 weren't due an equal share anyway -that exit fees are divided in a manner similar to how television revenue is divided. So to be honest, I don't think they paid all that much for the BE name and MSG location.

Again, here is what they got:

**Leaving early with no exit fees
**The BE name
**The MSG location
**A fat new contract from Fox (supposedly)
**$1.5 million each
**Keeping tourney shares to cover the costs of setting up a new conference

Honestly, could this have been any better???

Wasn't there early talk that the C7 teams were going to get as much as $3 million each with Fox or are we talking about two different things?

TheSultan
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
We are talking about two different things. The $1.5 million is what they are getting from the left over cash reserves from the Big East - essentially it was all of the exit fees and entry fees paid by other schools.

What Fox is going to pay the B7 each year has been rumored to be about $3 million, which would be a nice increase from the last television contract. But the final figures haven't been disclosed.

CaribouJim
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Got it - thanks! Then it couldn't have been better.

On another note, what about the new HQ - any talk on that - I assume NYC or do they have some sense of loyalty to Providence seeing they were so focused on the keeping the Big East name and MSG?

TheSultan
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Got it - thanks! Then it couldn't have been better.

On another note, what about the new HQ - any talk on that - I assume NYC or do they have some sense of loyalty to Providence seeing they were so focused on the keeping the Big East name and MSG?

What what is being said on Scoop, the B7 have an estimated $15M in legal and consulting costs to set up the new conference. Apparently this is being paid for from the $19M (or so) in tourney credits. And since the "old Big East" still exists and is apparently using the Providence offices, my guess is that they will find a new location and do not need to be tied to Providence. However since the "old" Big East doesn't have a team in Providence, they aren't tied there either. So who knows?

Mucrisco
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Personally, I like calling it the C7, instead of the B7. The B7 is so generic and I do care about our other sports. Even though I agree that it is not a religious conference, it does best describe all those schools. I don't think we have to apologize for being Catholic, or for having principles, or for having a mission. I don't find other religions insulting, like the Jewish faith, the Muslim faith, Hindu's, Lutherans, etc. We are not exclusive to only Catholics in our schools or our conference. After all, we are inviting Butler, and considering VCU and Richmond. The C7 is a name that caught on. People will only be calling it that for a few more months. After that, we'll be the Big East again.

WarriorsNuffSaid
03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
As IWB pointed out earlier keep in mind who wrote the article. I'm skeptical of ESPN's numbers. The USA Today article below has BE7 getting more money. Plus I thought the MSG tourney site wasn't part of the negotiations, as that would be up to MSG. This article shows MSG making arrangements directly with BE7.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/03/04/catholic-seven-7-negotiations/1963671/