Louisville +1
Providence +1
South Florida +1

DePaul -1
Marquette -1
Notre Dame -1
St. John's -1
Syracuse -1

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/BigEastTournamentBracketThruMarch4.jpg

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
All I know is that some how we need to get on the other side of the bracket from Louisville.

AlexJesswein
03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
How do the tiebreakers look if MU, UL and GT tie up top?

MUBasketball
03-04-2013, 09:01 PM
How do the tiebreakers look if MU, UL and GT tie up top?

Not good. If more than 2 teams are tied, they are viewed as a "mini conference". In that case, here's how it shakes out:

#1 Georgetown: 2-1
#2 Louisville: 1-1
#3 Marquette: 1-2

AlexJesswein
03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Not good. If more than 2 teams are tied, they are viewed as a "mini conference". In that case, here's how it shakes out:

#1 Georgetown: 2-1
#2 Louisville: 1-1
#3 Marquette: 1-2

I guess our best hope is Georgetown losing the last two and MU and Louisville ending up tied for 1st.

MUBasketball
03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
It is basically a mathematical certainty that MU will be the 3 seed.

Even if they lose to Rutgers & St. John's, they still get no worse than the 3 seed (even if Notre Dame, Syracuse, AND Pitt all win out). Of course, they can move up if Louisville loses to Notre Dame. But that's the only likely scenario where they move from the 3 seed. Otherwise, Georgetown has to lose to both Villanova & Syracuse. So, overwhelming odds say the 3 seed.

AlexJesswein
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
It is basically a mathematical certainty that MU will be the 3 seed.

Even if they lose to Rutgers & St. John's, they still get no worse than the 3 seed (even if Notre Dame, Syracuse, AND Pitt all win out). Of course, they can move up if Louisville loses to Notre Dame. But that's the only likely scenario where they move from the 3 seed. Otherwise, Georgetown has to lose to both Villanova & Syracuse. So, overwhelming odds say the 3 seed.

Oh well....best time slot!

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Oh well....best time slot!

My thoughts exactly. I can watch them play at night. Of course another semifinal with Louisville doesn't interest me but....

MUMac
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
I may be in the minority, likely am, but I welcome a shot a Louisville. Whether it is finals or semifinals. Expunge that demon. I also hope for a shot at either Nova or Cincy. Avenge two road losses in the tournament.

I don't mind these guys facing challenges leading into the tournament.

MU_Iceman
03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I may be in the minority, likely am, but I welcome a shot a Louisville. Whether it is finals or semifinals. Expunge that demon. I also hope for a shot at either Nova or Cincy. Avenge two road losses in the tournament.

I don't mind these guys facing challenges leading into the tournament.

I'm with Mac, bring them on. Buzz knows what adjustments would need to be made to play against UL's pressure, and I'm willing to bet it would involve different people handling the ball. I have a feeling if MU plays them again, they will beat them this time.

IWB
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Aren't you glad you are Tweeting things like this about your team?

Chris McManus ‏@CerasolisGhost: If Seton Hall loses tonight and/or Rutgers beats Marquette, RU will lock up the #11 seed in the Big East Tournament. #shbb #rubb

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Or have discussion topics like this?

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22708

IWB
03-05-2013, 10:31 AM
According to your link Sultan, Dayton & Richmond are bottom feeders this year. Not a great resume for Big East application.

Goose85
03-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Or have discussion topics like this?

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22708

Wow - the A-10 is strong this year, but not to make the A-10 tournament is not good for a school looking to upgrade conferences.

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
According to your link Sultan, Dayton & Richmond are bottom feeders this year. Not a great resume for Big East application.

Yeah, but as you have said, it is all about having advocates. And if Georgetown REALLY wants Richmond, they are likely going to be a member.

IWB
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't know that Georgetown wants Richmond as much as they don't want VCU.

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
OK...so that is where the Sienna thing came up. Assuming Creighton, Butler and Xavier are added, and either Dayton or SLU are as well, that means they want an eastern school to balance out the conference. Richmond, Sienna...any others? Honestly after that it gets kind of sparse...especially since they aren't going to want schools that replicate other markets. (Like St. Joes and George Washington) You are left with powers like Duquesne and Boston University.

Goose85
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I think that VCU and/or Richmond, being about 100 miles from Georgetown, would make for a nice regional rivalry and bring in an additional market. VCU bring more expected immediate success and money.

Looking at it from an MU perspective, I think we would sell a few more tickets for a VCU game than we would Richmond.

MUBasketball
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't know that Georgetown wants Richmond as much as they don't want VCU.

That just seems silly to me. They've enjoyed 3 decades of a heated rivalry with Syracuse...but are afraid of VCU?

Goose85
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I look at it from a season ticket holder standpoint.

Losing home games with the following six schools - Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Cincy.

Adding five new schools to the conference - Butler, Xavier, ?, ?, ?

Xavier for Cincy tradeoff I can accept as close to a wash.

So now there are four new opponents to replace five top level games - Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame.

Assuming we don't schedule any of these non conference, our conference slate will take a big hit to the ticket buying public.

I think Creighton - Butler - St. Louis - VCU would be the best possible options coming in, but would still be a far cry from replacing those five.
Far better, I think, than replacing Louisville / UConn / Syracuse / Pitt / Notre Dame with Butler / Creighton / Dayton / Richmond.

Gato78
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I think we add ND, X and Butler and wait one year. We really should hold until the possible ACC implosion occurs or doesn't occur. We would have better options if that were to occur without losing much.

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Any sort of ACC implosion won't occur until the Maryland exit fee is sorted out, and that is going to take awhile...perhaps years.

Goose85
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I think we add ND, X and Butler and wait one year. We really should hold until the possible ACC implosion occurs or doesn't occur. We would have better options if that were to occur without losing much.

Agree 100%.

If Maryland gets a positive outcome there could be an ACC implosion. That environment with ND on Sat was awesome, I would be more than happy to have another year of that with the hopes of more.

Hey ND, we will help you out by bringing on on board for a year to the new Big East. Maybe in return, when ND departs, they agree to schedule some C7 teams non conference.

mufan2003
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I really hope any anti-VCU talk does not include the typical "but what if Shaka Smart leaves?" The same could be said for Butler and Brad Stevens. From a pure "on-the-court" viewpoint, if the 10th team must be added and it is not Notre Dame, the best 2 options are VCU and Creighton. Have to imagine that with the push for football conferences to have 16 teams (which Nick Saban has even alluded to the goal being), that the ACC (weakest remaining football conference) will get raided further, a question of when and not if.

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I honestly think all the talk of an ACC implosion is nonsense. Simply put, $50 M in exit fees are going to prevent *a lot* of schools from leaving that conference.

Goose85
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I honestly think all the talk of an ACC implosion is nonsense. Simply put, $50 M in exit fees are going to prevent *a lot* of schools from leaving that conference.

All depends on what is ruled in the Maryland case. One of the points Maryland is suing over is that the ACC bylaws (according to their interpretation) requires that new rules voted in are not in place for one year (either from the time of the vote or until the next conference year begins - I can't recall). So Maryland is saying they gave notice prior to the time that new rule was to be enforced.

So depending on the timing, if Maryland wins that point, the $50 mil would not be in effect until possibly the end of July. If that were to occur, some schools may be rushed to decide - do we take the Big 10 / SEC / Big 12 offer (assuming there would be an offer) befor the approximately $50 mil kicks in or not.

Gato78
03-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Not sure where they are in the litigation but assuredly the $50 million fee is being challanged as an unlawful penalty provision vs a legitimate liquidated damages clause.

TheSultan
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Not sure where they are in the litigation but assuredly the $50 million fee is being challanged as an unlawful penalty provision vs a legitimate liquidated damages clause.

And it hinges on Maryland not voting for the increase in exit fees. But the rest of the conference, save FSU, all voted for it. So even a victory for Maryland might not be applicable to UNC, et. al.

Goose85
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
And it hinges on Maryland not voting for the increase in exit fees. But the rest of the conference, save FSU, all voted for it. So even a victory for Maryland might not be applicable to UNC, et. al.

Also hinges on when the fee is to be in effect.